• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Glenn Greenwald

Yikes, that’s a bad look.

I think it has zero to do with why you don’t like him, and would be looked over how’s necessary.

But fuck that dude, that’s a bad look.

Ha
a676ea485f724b4c0ba275b3ca95b5e6.jpg

[h=3]How To End Up Serving The Right[/h]
Journalists Glenn Greenwald and Matt Taibbi are known for exposing the crimes of the police, the military, and Wall Street. But they also spout dangerous conservative hyperbole about The Left. What’s going on?

This Current Affairs piece was good. It lays out Greenwald and Taibbi's descent into right-wing faux populism. It is a long read and could have been pared down considerably though. I liked this quote.

“The cases of Greenwald and Taibbi offer evidence for something that should alarm us all: conservative stories about the world are powerful, and even though they often aren’t true, it is easy for people (especially but not exclusively white men) to come to believe them without even really noticing they are gliding away from reality.”

I think it’s very hard for white men to remain advocates for social justice. At some point, they’ll feel threatened and have to make a choice. Maybe it's having a Black woman boss or seeing a gay couple on TV or the Me Too movement or whatever.

not defending Greenwald, but I don't understand the "gay couple on TV" line there

Is it just me or has the white men rhetoric been increasing, Ph? Come on dude.

not defending Greenwald, but I don't understand the "gay couple on TV" line there

People who get threatened by representation. The standard “I don’t have a problem with people being gay. I just don’t need to see it all up in my face.”

wakelaw, you’re kind of making my point there.

White men are far and away the biggest barrier to progress in this country.

Don't forget the women that look the other way despite it being against their, often, best interests. Point still stands. So many bitter, angry, and entitled white men.

People who get threatened by representation. The standard “I don’t have a problem with people being gay. I just don’t need to see it all up in my face.”

wakelaw, you’re kind of making my point there.

Weird accusation to make against Greenwald, who is gay

perhaps it was targeted at Taibbi — I don’t know much about the guy

Weird accusation to make against Greenwald, who is gay

perhaps it was targeted at Taibbi — I don’t know much about the guy

I wasn’t talking about only two white men. How did you miss what BBD and deaconson clearly understood?

Yeah. The quote used Greenwald and Taibbi as cautionary tales of how conservative stories impact people "(especially but not exclusively white men)."

The article is a good read.

Of those two, Taibbi at least seems to be remotely consistent, even though I disagree with him regularly. Greenwald has gone off the deep end and become a caricature of himself. His only concern is owning the establishment left and he will fall in with any bedfellows, take inconsistent stances, etc. to achieve that.

[h=3]How To End Up Serving The Right[/h]
Journalists Glenn Greenwald and Matt Taibbi are known for exposing the crimes of the police, the military, and Wall Street. But they also spout dangerous conservative hyperbole about The Left. What’s going on?

This Current Affairs piece was good. It lays out Greenwald and Taibbi's descent into right-wing faux populism. It is a long read and could have been pared down considerably though. I liked this quote.

“The cases of Greenwald and Taibbi offer evidence for something that should alarm us all: conservative stories about the world are powerful, and even though they often aren’t true, it is easy for people (especially but not exclusively white men) to come to believe them without even really noticing they are gliding away from reality.”

I think it’s very hard for white men to remain advocates for social justice. At some point, they’ll feel threatened and have to make a choice. Maybe it's having a Black woman boss or seeing a gay couple on TV or the Me Too movement or whatever.

Nathan Robinson (the article's author) and Glenn Greenwald "debated" on Bad Faith:

Some very good discussion here. I wouldn't recommend it if you have no stomach for badmouthing the Democratic party, but I think it holds Glenn to account for his "ideological slippage" fairly well.

would you expect anything else with a conversation with those 3 that every debate point started with "I really want to make it clear I hate the Democratic party, but........"?

Glenn's rebuttal about dems and pubs have huge differences in trust for the CIA and FBI were based on cherry picked polls right after major Trump events. If you look at the differences now, they are much more immaterial. Many commentators pointed that out to him, but it was inconvenient to his narrative, so he just ignored it and continued pushing this argument.

Last edited:
would you expect anything else with a conversation with those 3 that every debate point started with "I really want to make it clear I hate the Democratic party, but........"?

lol

I also would like to make it clear that I hate the Democratic Party.

Glenn's position about Russiagate dovetailed with his position on Hunter Biden's laptop and on the insurrection attempt on 1/6 and on the clearing of the park around the WH before Trump's photo op. All in alignment with the right wing Tucker Carlson take. He was one of the first to trumpet Barr's biased and convenient declaration that the Mueller report totally exonerated Trump. He is very critical and skeptical of government reporting unless it supports his preconceived narrative upon which he just accepts it at face value.

His casting of senate and voting right rules that are objectively democratic as somehow authoritarian because he has somehow convinced himself that in an alterntive universe that dems wouldn't support them and that Pubs would is also bizarre.

And finally I am not sure that any of those people should pontificate on proper electoral strategic choices.

I would have been interested in hearing his discussion on majority rule. Would the phrase "we are not a democracy, but a republic" have been uttered?

But it was an interesting listen.

Last edited:
I don’t know how senate makeup or voting rules are inherently democratic when it takes 60 votes to get something passed and the Dem 50% represents millions and millions more people than the GOP 50% and when the democratically elected ruling party defers to arcane parliamentary procedure instead of representing for their constituents.

Plus the Senate by definition is an undemocratic institution, hence the Connecticut compromise. But I am glad you listened anyway. Nathan can be a lot to listen to, himself. And Brie, though I think she’s a brilliant writer and very cogent thinker and interviewer, is way too online and obsessed with old internet feuds.

Still I think Bad Faith is a good forum for holding people to account for the things they write or say online. They’ve done a good job with Chomsky and several politicians too.

Back