• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CT Brasky #2: Back when the CT was real

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shouldn't you fuckers be commuting home or eating dinner or something?

bought a car two months ago and the process was fucking draining because the dude refused to make even good faith concessions (dealer fees that weren't tag/title stuff)

Yep

I was about to pull the trigger on paying cash for a certified slightly used car. Then they want to add a 700 dollar documentation fee (not tax, title, or registration) into the final calculation. Nope the doc fee isn’t negotiable, they say.

I made an offer discounting their total cost by 600 dollars. Nope, they won’t budge at all.

Just seems weird to this old guy.

Yep

I was about to pull the trigger on paying cash for a certified slightly used car. Then they want to add a 700 dollar documentation fee (not tax, title, or registration) into the final calculation. Nope the doc fee isn’t negotiable, they say.

I made an offer discounting their total cost by 600 dollars. Nope, they won’t budge at all.

Just seems weird to this old guy.

Yeah I was surprised. I bought a car about two years ago and it was the same. I did find a dealer over in Burlington that included all the fees in the sticker price though.

I used to have a guy that I would pay $500 and he would stalk the auto auctions for me and pay the dealer price. Unfortunately he retired.

I really don’t know the decorum. Is it the last post in the 100 page or the first post in 101?

Nice mako. Your mom can't say it right now but but she gave a big thumbs up!

seems like the internet really ended that for the most part, from what i can tell

Yep, I think it’s the Internet that’s changed things.

But it seems weird to me.

And not always in favor of the customer...

Several years ago we were looking for a car for my wife. A local dealer had just the one but wouldn’t budge a bit on the price. I walked away and within a few months found the exact car for maybe 1500-2000 less...and with significantly lower mileage...at a dealer an hour away.

I think the Internet age can work for the customer if you’ve got time to research and don’t have an urgent need to buy. I guess that hasn’t changed.

DiV do you know Woodstock

that's where i am rn

Been down that way a few times. It's a very quaint village, but I'm no real expert on what to see or do. The Quechee Gorge is nearby and there's some hiking you can get into. I'm glad you're here today for our splash of June weather because it's about to turn back to dogshit.

Yep, I think it’s the Internet that’s changed things.

But it seems weird to me.

And not always in favor of the customer...

Several years ago we were looking for a car for my wife. A local dealer had just the one but wouldn’t budge a bit on the price. I walked away and within a few months found the exact car for maybe 1500-2000 less...and with significantly lower mileage...at a dealer an hour away.

I think the Internet age can work for the customer if you’ve got time to research and don’t have an urgent need to buy. I guess that hasn’t changed.

I think it does favor the customer -- dealerships aren't raising their prices just to bring them down in the negotiation phase any more, so just because you aren't saving on fees like you used to doesn't mean you aren't saving overall

my credit union had a car buying service that saved me like $250 or $500 on a car I had identified and was going to buy anyways, so check and see if you qualify for a similar service through your bank or some membership you already have (AAA, Costco, etc.)

I think it does favor the customer -- dealerships aren't raising their prices just to bring them down in the negotiation phase any more, so just because you aren't saving on fees like you used to doesn't mean you aren't saving overall

my credit union had a car buying service that saved me like $250 or $500 on a car I had identified and was going to buy anyways, so check and see if you qualify for a similar service through your bank or some membership you already have (AAA, Costco, etc.)

Yep

Those guys at the Charlotte dealership are probably laughing at this dude trying to make a slight deal.

It’s fine.

I’m working on an alternative plan already that has certain advantages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back