• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CT Brasky #2: Back when the CT was real

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also just went through the interview process for an internal job. 6x 45 minute video calls so I had to wear a suit jacket and tie. Very awkward and uncomfortable after a year of not dressing up at all.

The company rolled out new interview guidelines within the last year. I know why they did it, and its ultimately better overall, but it makes for such a boring process.

Everyone gets asked the same set of questions, they are all fact based ("tell me about a time when you did X" vs. hypotheticals), and nothing personal.

i got stumped on "what would you be doing with your life if money were no concern?" and i think i said something to that effect, but can't remember the exact wording

That's easy, more bird watching and hikes.

i got stumped on "what would you be doing with your life if money were no concern?" and i think i said something to that effect, but can't remember the exact wording

yeah kinda rad to be able to say this is genuinely what I want to do

When I went in to get my blood work this morning I was like the only person under 80 at my doctor. Is that a bad sign?

This is how I felt at the Democratic Precinct Zoom meeting.

But no it is pretty normal. I see a doctor once every three years. The obscene expensiveness of our broken health care system makes preventative care not worth it.

"Not whatever bullshit it is y'all trying to get me to do here, that's for sure"

"That's a good question" is definitely a stalling technique, but generally because it is a good question and I need a few seconds to think about it.

The company rolled out new interview guidelines within the last year. I know why they did it, and its ultimately better overall, but it makes for such a boring process.

Everyone gets asked the same set of questions, they are all fact based ("tell me about a time when you did X" vs. hypotheticals), and nothing personal.

Faculty interviews used to be 1.5 to 2 day interviews with a research seminar, teaching demo, meetings with various deans, driving tours of the town, breakfast, lunch and dinner outings, grad student Q and A sessions, etc. Now they are 10 hours of zoom meetings with all the same people but stuck in your chair, in your home office while your dog interrupts every few minutes. It has to suck to be on the faculty job market right now.

I say good question to my undergrads when they ask a good question.

Faculty interviews used to be 1.5 to 2 day interviews with a research seminar, teaching demo, meetings with various deans, driving tours of the town, breakfast, lunch and dinner outings, grad student Q and A sessions, etc. Now they are 10 hours of zoom meetings with all the same people but stuck in your chair, in your home office while your dog interrupts every few minutes. It has to suck to be on the faculty job market right now.
I did both kinds last year, including a three-day campus visit on the other side of the country at the end of March....

Don't forget the scheduled fifteen minute breaks that are not breaks at all!

okay okay y'all I get the message I'll look for jobs outside of academia

okay okay y'all I get the message I'll look for jobs outside of academia
I didn't say they weren't fun! I love interviews even though they are exhausting. How often do you get to hold the absolute attention of a room full of professionals who desperately want to know what you think about things? Could be why we're teachers

I didn't say they weren't fun! I love interviews even though they are exhausting. How often do you get to hold the absolute attention of a room full of professionals who desperately want to know what you think about things? Could be why we're teachers

take out "absolute" and "desperately" and i'd say all the time

Not teachers in the state of Florida though.

Florida is a bottom-tier state, right? Sub-40? Not sure if unpopular opinion

Why is my wife so fixated with the British Royal Family? She's taking this shit like she knows these people personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back