• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CT Brasky #2: Back when the CT was real

Status
Not open for further replies.
make your own lists, then, jerks

i feel like the deep south has some very real redeeming qualities in places if you know where to dig

not so much as places to live as places to visit or hang for a bit

thinking new hampshire is "cool as fuck" and that miami is "overrated" says a lot about a person

FL panhandle beaches are far superior to any others in the state (just beach beauty that is). If you go outside of Destin and Panama City there are cool places. Allegiant just announced a direct flight to Destin which I will probably take advantage of for long weekends a few times this year once I get vaxxed. Already planned a week down there in July.

I've been doing jacket with open collar. Shows I take it seriously, without being a square. I think its just the right mix of professionalism and understanding these are unprecedented times (but now you have me second guessing myself.)

I think you’re totally fine and that would really be my preferred choice. The only consideration for me was that I work for a big bank and half of the interviews were with people who literally have worked here as long as I’ve been alive. So ultimately going with the more formal option was safer.

key west and miami are cool, not sure there's anything as cool as those two places in the following states:

Arkansas
Connecticut
Delaware
Indiana
Iowa
Kansas
Missouri
New Hampshire
North Dakota
Ohio
Oklahoma
South Dakota

Every other state probably has something as cool though.

I would rather be in the Black Hills than Miami, and the White Mountains in New Hampshire are exponentially more badass than the Keys.

FL panhandle beaches are far superior to any others in the state (just beach beauty that is). If you go outside of Destin and Panama City there are cool places. Allegiant just announced a direct flight to Destin which I will probably take advantage of for long weekends a few times this year once I get vaxxed. Already planned a week down there in July.

FL bay beach > FL ocean beach feels like a bad take but I'm curious to learn more

Did Big Academia coerce you into moving to Alabama

Yes, I finished my PhD in 2008, right as the economy was collapsing. I had 2 year post doc position in Maryland but no financial security thereafter and I had 2 kids. As I started my faculty job search I had geographic restrictions and several states I refused to apply for jobs in: OK, MS, AL, the Dokotas, AR; 18 months and >100 applications later I was offered a position in AL so I took it.

Haircut, dentist, and eye doctor were the three to dos on my list when I was vaccinated. However over the last year I have been using a mobile barber and I’m never going back.

I cut my own hair now. With help from my wife. I’m never going back.

Yes, I finished my PhD in 2008, right as the economy was collapsing. I had 2 year post doc position in Maryland but no financial security thereafter and I had 2 kids. As I started my faculty job search I had geographic restrictions and several states I refused to apply for jobs in: OK, MS, AL, the Dokotas, AR; 18 months and >100 applications later I was offered a position in AL so I took it.

they can't keep getting away with this!

I grew up in NC and then lived in DC/Boston for 10 years before moving back about 3 years ago. It’s far from a perfect state but it really suits me as I’ve gotten older. Cost of living is still very favorable, culinary scene is up and coming, solid employment options, plenty of outdoor recreation.

Allegiant just announced a direct flight to Destin which I will probably take advantage of for long weekends a few times this year once I get vaxxed. Already planned a week down there in July.

There is no vaccine to prevent what you may catch from the other passengers that utilize that airline.

whoops. yeah

nah man, they call that shit the Emerald Coast for a reason. sugar white sand, crystal clear water. the beaches on the Atlantic Coast get nicer as you go south, but some like Cocoa Beach are ugly as hell in comparison. Might as well be at a SC beach.

Sometimes I feel like you people need to live where I do for a while and then you will be able to appreciate a trip to Myrtle Beach.

nah man, they call that shit the Emerald Coast for a reason. sugar white sand, crystal clear water. the beaches on the Atlantic Coast get nicer as you go south, but some like Cocoa Beach are ugly as hell in comparison. Might as well be at a SC beach.

I agree. There are some cool Atlantic coast spots, like Little and Big Talbot Islands state parks, Anastasia Island (I've only been to spots in the North), but they don't really measure up to St. George Island, or Ft. Pickens (Gulf Island National Seashore) on the Gulf in the pan handle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back