• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CT Brasky #2: Back when the CT was real

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are currently in a 3 bedroom ranch which we love, but are moving to a much larger three story 4 bedroom later this month, with the knowledge that we want to create kid #2 sometime in the next year. Also because our current ranch was completely flipped and modernized when we bought it two years ago, and apparently we can sell it for $80K profit after two years because there is a massive shortage of modern "mid-tier" housing here in Winston.

We've been house hunting lately because we're still in the first house we bought in 2006 and we're ready for something nicer. We're just outside of Charlotte and our house is appraising for about 80K more than what we bought it for, and a realtor friend was saying we'll get more than that. Houses aren't staying on the market very long at all, and our neighbor two doors down just sold his without ever putting up a for sale sign. Another house that just came on the market last week in Huntersville that checked a bunch of boxes for us was under contract two days later.

We've been out of the real estate game for so long that we couldn't believe how apparently now there's this concept of a buyer's letter, where you plead your case to a seller that they'll sell to you instead of someone else. It's like writing a cover letter or applying to a university.

Cabeza de res is the best taco meat.

Buyer letters are pathetic and any seller who is swayed by one is an idiot. Offers should be evaluated on price and the likelihood that the buyer will close on time. I don't care if you plan to turn my old property into a whorehouse after I sell it to you, give me that cash and close in 30 days.

Buyer letters are pathetic and any seller who is swayed by one is an idiot. Offers should be evaluated on price and the likelihood that the buyer will close on time. I don't care if you plan to turn my old property into a whorehouse after I sell it to you, give me that cash and close in 30 days.

yep, but they work! my wife wrote a letter and the son of the deceased owner was totally swayed by it.

I agree with this

it's annoying when house shopping to get beat by all cash offers or people who can put like 75% down or whatever, but what are you gonna do? they're either rich, or using their last house's earnings, or both

if my good offer gets beat by a letter, and i have to go another cycle putting offers in, that's annoying as hell

gonna need one of these for the bright eyes vic chesnutt cover

I definitely get the sense that home prices are approaching at least a short term peak in the Triangle. A house in my neighborhood was just listed at $585k — 1800 square feet, remodeled bungalow, nice but not spectacular — and Redfin alerted me that it ended up selling for $675k. Those folks will end up with some buyer’s remorse.

like, not fun to hang out in? agree, not many fun or interesting places. watergate whiskey bar and rooftop are fun pricey things to do. would never in 1000 years want to live in west end/foggy bottom tho.

yeah, just not a good ~~vibe~~

buddy I studied abroad with went to GW so I visited and stayed there and it was pretty dead

It’s possible to catch a vibe on the waterfront but not easy

I think even if a teaching position opened up at say GW I wouldn't take it because I don't think life in DC is for me

DC is like a real city, but with training wheels. I would guess it’s one of easiest “major” US cities to live in.

I guess the exception would be if I'm moving elsewhere close by or if my family is still staying in the area or something

DC is like a real city, but with training wheels. I would guess it’s one of easiest “major” US cities to live in.

Hm interesting. I think Philly and Baltimore are more livable cost-wise. What do you mean by easy?

I definitely get the sense that home prices are approaching at least a short term peak in the Triangle. A house in my neighborhood was just listed at $585k — 1800 square feet, remodeled bungalow, nice but not spectacular — and Redfin alerted me that it ended up selling for $675k. Those folks will end up with some buyer’s remorse.

home prices simply cannot keep outpacing virtually every other economic metric for much longer

I like DC but feel like if I wanted to live in a big city I’d rather it be NYC.

DC has most of the headaches and not quite all of the amenities to make it worth it.

CT Brasky Part Deux: The Early Bird Gets the Worm

Hm interesting. I think Philly and Baltimore are more livable cost-wise. What do you mean by easy?

Oh, not taking cost into account at all. More as adjusting moving from suburban/small city/rural life to living downtown.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back