• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tourney Time: WF v. ND - Tuesday 7 pm ACCN

Honestly, would have preferred another blow-out to close out the season ending 8 game losing streak.... than to lose that way. :tear:

This is how the FSU game should have ended in regulation. With a 30 foot shot for the win, not a layup for the tie.

Exactly. You don't call on Williamson to drive in that situation. If he does, he's a guarantee to try to go to the rim if he's not tripple-teamed. ND knew to do that because he's a guard that once scouted, never dishes on a drive.
I don't seem to recall Williamson forcing up a bad shot everytime he couldn't beat his man off the dribble.

On a positive note, Cam Hildreth and Whitt together next year will be a fun watch especially if we can land some talented bigs.. It will get better..

Seriously Wake level disappointment, which I didn't believe would happen going into this game.

The worst part of this is, it will be on sportscenter all night and probably played until the end of the ACCT over and over.

Post game, Forbes said he's done the end of game both ways. In this case he felt that letting ND set a defense and potentially switch defenses was not the way to go. I wasn't looking for a TO there, we are poor at inbounding and it would let ND figure out something on defense. In this circumstance everything had to go wrong for ND to pull that out, we go to early, pull up with a blocked shot, tipped out for a fast break and a pull up 3 the guy was running into.

Also, said he was more upset on the defense as he thought we should have had enough points to win.

Williamson 8-11, 5-5 from 3, 21 points.
Mucius 20 points 12 rbs (6 off rbs)
Whitt 12 points 7 assts and 1 to

Wake 15 orb
Wake 7 TOs

If we had someone in the post that knew what to do with the ball down there, Carter would have had a double double. He made some great passes that connected but we have no nose for the basket.

The loss stinks, oddly hurts more than most in the last 10 years, which is actually a good thing.

The commentary before this game:
- crappy match up for Wake, screwed by the ND win over FSU
- team quit - clearly not

Not that Corey would allow any info about the game to flow, but Wake did use 2 TO's in the last 7 min

5:53 75-67
2:31 75-75

Forbes didn't let them go on a 17-2 run without any TOs.

We missed 10 shots in a row, 6 were in the paint, 4 3pts. 3 of the shots were blocked and we had 1 TO in the span before Carter hit the jumper.

I really like how scrappy Williamson is, but he is a small guy and will get his shot blocked a lot at the rim/on drives. The fact of the matter is that he’s our best overall player and if we are being really honest, he probably wouldn’t get a shot on 2/3 of the teams in the ACC.

With that’s said, it’s clear to me that Forbes is the guy. This one isn’t on him and he’s going to bring us back. I think Sportmed called me out about 8 games ago for saying we didn’t have anyone who would start for an ACC team and two guys who would get minutes. I’ll stand by that. We are lacking size, athleticism and talent across the board. It’s going to take a few years to be relevant again and Forbes better recruit like hell.

Also, I don’t care if this isn’t popular...Mucius, Massoud and Neath need to transfer. Give their scholarships to grad transfers if we have to. They are beyond terrible and they have no future here as Wake tries to improve.

Are you serious? Mucious had 20 points and 12 rebounds. He’s not perfect but he played his ass off and he’s the only ACC level forward we have. On the other hand, you are correct about the other two

I was going to say the same thing ...

While Mucius is definitely not perfect ... he played his tail off and I most definitely want him back next year. I really, really wanted Massoud to be good enough, because we need height so badly ... but his defense has been so, so, so, so bad, that he would need to score 25+ points a game to make up for it. Need him to go train with James Johnson for the summer, or simply go to a program where defense is not required. I feel bad for Neath, but believe that it is likely in his and WF's best interest for him to find a better fit for his talents.

Mucius is the only guy we have that plays with high energy and can hit another gear offensively. He’s not good but we don’t have many options.

I really like how scrappy Williamson is, but he is a small guy and will get his shot blocked a lot at the rim/on drives. The fact of the matter is that he’s our best overall player and if we are being really honest, he probably wouldn’t get a shot on 2/3 of the teams in the ACC.

With that’s said, it’s clear to me that Forbes is the guy. This one isn’t on him and he’s going to bring us back. I think Sportmed called me out about 8 games ago for saying we didn’t have anyone who would start for an ACC team and two guys who would get minutes. I’ll stand by that. We are lacking size, athleticism and talent across the board. It’s going to take a few years to be relevant again and Forbes better recruit like hell.

Also, I don’t care if this isn’t popular...Mucius, Massoud and Neath need to transfer. Give their scholarships to grad transfers if we have to. They are beyond terrible and they have no future here as Wake tries to improve.

Williamson is undersized but he has the quickness to get to the rim, and with better talent around him he wouldn't need to do it so often and could pick his spots mostly with mismatches he could blow by. I agree about Massoud, he's just not athletic or coordinated enough to play at this level despite being 6'10" with a good stroke. McCray and Hildreth would be ahead of Neath on day one. Rumor from a source is that Forbes sat down with a few players a couple weeks ago and basically said there's no time for them next year, sounding like he essentially was pushing them out. I think we can guess who those guys are, and Mucius obviously is not one of them. Mucius and Davien are both ACC level players but are not totally made out to be the guys running the show for a team. Surround them with pieces that can score the ball and get to the rim and they'll look a hell of a lot better in roles that suit them. The contributing pieces returning I would guess will be Whitt, Williamson, Mucius, Oguama, and possibly DuBose. A team returning almost its entire starting lineup while bringing in a new young core to move the program forward will be exciting.

It was a classic choke. Deacons were 1-12 the final 7:20 for 2 points. ND went 6-11, 3-6 on threes and 2-2 at the line for 17 points. 17 points in the last 6:02 will result in a lot of loses. This team has not embraced the importance of getting stops on D, especially at the end of the game.

Forbes trusts six players on this team. Mucius, Williamson, Whitt, DuBose, Oguama and Massoud played 178 of 200 minutes. They will be encouraged to return. Adams led the remaining players with 9 minutes and he was at the end of the bench two weeks ago. There will be other survivors, your guess is as good as mine regarding who. Ingraham seems likely but he has lost two years to physical maladies so he is an if at best.

Two very tall, muscular and skilled post players with bad intentions are the most immediate need.

Watched the replay of the game because I had a family commitment until after 8pm and I wanted to watch the entire game. I only had one friend slip up and text me about the game (a GT fan)... All he said was "Can't believe Wake blew this lead" followed by "OMG" like 10 minutes later. So while I was watching I knew the game would get tight at the end (honestly, I'd have expected that anyway). But when the ESPN+ replay showed me there was only 2 minutes of broadcast left when we brought the ball up for the "final shot" of a tied game, I thought, "OK, at least this means there is no OT." As soon as Williamson got blocked w/ ~5 seconds left, I felt sick... Was expecting ND to somehow drive down to get a layup to win, but it was even worse to lose on a 30 footer.

Anyway... Quick thoughts:

Agree with BlackjackMc above... Horrible combination at the end of not being able to score against ND's shitty defense AND not being locked in on defense. Forbes has been preaching all season that you can still do other things when shots aren't falling, yet that was still a huge problem down the stretch in the last game.

I don't have any issues w/ Forbes not calling a timeout at the end. Obviously would have liked a better shot with a little less time on the clock, but that's on Davien. And he played such a good game that it's tough to blame him for trying to take an injured player off the dribble after a switch.

Mucius played a great game... I have no doubts about him coming back and continuing to improve. Not sure how anyone could criticize his performance. Even on the rare instances when he was on the bench, I could hear him loudly encouraging the players on the floor. He's bought in.

Also impressed w/ Carter. Showed a lot more aggressiveness last night... I know some of that was made possible by ND not playing pressure defense, but it was still good to see. I expect Whitt will be much better next season and all of his minutes this year will have been for good reason.

Tough loss, but it honestly doesn't matter at all. Maybe it gives them more motivation to improve over the offseason. An ACC Tourney win would have also been nice to build off, of course, but it didn't happen. On to the offseason.

Baby steps.

Maybe next season we get to play in the ACCT on at least a Wednesday.

Really the only questionable coaching decision was not having Ody in there more down the stretch. Possibly a few more rebounds and a few more points and a few less turnovers than with Massoud in there. Not calling a time out is no big deal. They practice the last second shots and we had the ball in the right guys had. He just didn't pull it off. Our offense and defense is so much better than last year. If we had Chaundee and Sarr it would be a totally different season. Not sure we have any players that would start for the majority of ACC teams which tells you something.

Wake level disappointment.

Currie needs to address that in the summer.

If all of us knew we would blow it in epic fashion, that's a major problem. Had been for a long time.

Start with lack of confidence maybe?

After the year - decade - we’ve had, we couldn’t even go gently into that good night. We couldn’t lose quietly. We had to lose out loud. This is the way.

If somebody jumps off the Forbes bandwagon based on a game where we led a more talented team most of the way and lost on a 40 foot buzzer beater then they are a dumb person.

Back