• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tourney Time: WF v. ND - Tuesday 7 pm ACCN

They (UNC) are not a mentally strong team either. See losses to Marquette, Syracuse toward the end of the season.

They (UNC) are not a mentally strong team either. See losses to Marquette, Syracuse toward the end of the season.

Part of good guard play is being mentally tough. The best guards have that Childress mentality of "I'm going to take and make this shot, and you can't do a damn thing about it." When the u*NC guards are in that mode, they win, usually big. When they're not, losses happen. They are inconsistent. Experience helps consistency. Maybe they are better (more consistent) at the end of the season than they were at the beginning. Hence, the above noted possibility of them taking out a very high seed - or losing in round 1.

I definitely think in college that certain teams/institutions can have an overall lack of confidence or loser mentality to the point that it becomes predictable regarding how they will perform when the pressure is on. I’m not saying that about this team but it can be true in general. I’ve noticed this in the past about Pitt Panther basketball and football, don’t ask me why. You could just predict that they would fold.

Anyway, I think the tone is set 95% by the coach, who has to be particularly skilled at motivating 18 to 20-year-old young men. I don’t think our current basketball or football coaches will ever allow anyone to have a loser or LOWF mentality.

I've determined GT, Clemson, and now VT, have all made excellent hires in their basketball program. Scary to think what Clemson would be like with 2 4-5 stars....

Pastner again proving the value of hiring young and hungry. Now they are in position for the big payoff for decades from doing so.

Kelsey, Wes, Russell all still kicking during another March run for all 3.

Pat is by far the top of that list..

DR, don't be shocked to see your face on 12 packs. We thought you were MIA.

Pat is by far the top of that list..

DR, don't be shocked to see your face on 12 packs. We thought you were MIA.

Judging by my IG feed, pretty sure he was priming the pump of the FL economy for the last few weeks. Living the dream!

I've determined GT, Clemson, and now VT, have all made excellent hires in their basketball program. Scary to think what Clemson would be like with 2 4-5 stars....

Like how about most non blue blood teams would like 2 4-5 stars? The Clemson hire was 11 yrs ago so I guess you needed a bigger sample size?

Well this would be brownell’s 3rd ncaa in 11 years. 🙄

Made it once in 10 years with his players.

I would rather have Forbes than any coach hired in the ACC in the past 10 years. Forbes will make us good again. It will be apparent next year

I would rather have Forbes than any coach hired in the ACC in the past 10 years. Forbes will make us good again. It will be apparent next year

This. I think the only person I'd be more excited have as our coach right now is Nate Oats. We're in good hands and will be good again. After watching him at ETSU, though, we may have to get used to reloading through transfers each year. We'll see how that transfers from the mid-major level to the ACC.

I mean Forbes came in late in the year and put together a top 20 level class. If you're not excited about the potential that Carter whitt brings when he has players around him, i don't know what to tell you. As Forbes said he's gonna be a surgeon.

I mean Forbes came in late in the year and put together a top 20 level class. If you're not excited about the potential that Carter whitt brings when he has players around him, i don't know what to tell you. As Forbes said he's gonna be a surgeon.

Yeah, the "disappointment" in Whitt is a great reminder at just how shortsighted fan groupthink can be. Kid comes in as a pre-freshman with no prep, gets shoved into the starting PG role on a team with a massive talent void, and by the end of the year he's putting up 12 points and 7 assists against 1 turnover in an ACC Tourney game, including a game-tying bucket in crunch time and at least 4 more excellent passes that would have been assists if anyone on our team could dunk. Wouldn't be surprised to see him put up 10/5 next year which will be his actual freshman year. Great shot at being a 5 year piece you can build a program around, which is absolutely critical for us right now. Much more important than any one-and-done.

I think Whitt will be awesome. He is an ideal type of point guard you want to lead a team. He has already shown he can make big shots and he has a gift for passing. Can't wait to see his improvement over the coming years

Back