• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Transgender Athletes

I bet I am the only person on this board who's ever lost to a trans woman in a sporting event.
Guess what. I didn't care. At all. Not even a little. The woman was a strong rider, sure, but not any more outrageously strong than plenty of women I've raced against and trained with. Hell, in that particular race as Cat 4 cyclists there were three FIELDS of women stronger than us and the winner of our race wouldn't have won in those fields.
The varied ability of female athletes ALWAYS leaves room for you to be beat. I was way more thrilled at my own second place finish because I'd worked my ass off and rode well with my team. I had no concern about the woman on the top step of the podium and her biological attributes. In later finding out that she was trans (which only came out more because a bunch of dickhead male cyclists decided to pick this up as some great case), nobody really asked the women's peloton what we thought/if we cared. Sure, there were a handful of women who didn't think it was right that a "biological male" was in the race... but frankly, those women complaining were also nowhere near in contention of a podium step anyway. There were plenty other strong cisgender women they should be more concerned about. Or, you know, they could just focus on their own training.

Basing your whole exclusive shitty policy on the off-chance that woman may eventually lose to another woman (who happens to be trans) means you just need to do a better job teaching and preparing your children how to lose with grace.

Plus, it is never too early to teach your daughters the valuable life lesson of constantly losing out to a person with a dick, right? Might as well set that tone from the start. That ceiling may be transparent, but it is still there.

I feel bad for people who have to rely on your sound decision making when it comes to any issue requiring a shred of humanity.

I bet I am the only person on this board who's ever lost to a trans woman in a sporting event.
Guess what. I didn't care. At all. Not even a little. The woman was a strong rider, sure, but not any more outrageously strong than plenty of women I've raced against and trained with. Hell, in that particular race as Cat 4 cyclists there were three FIELDS of women stronger than us and the winner of our race wouldn't have won in those fields.
The varied ability of female athletes ALWAYS leaves room for you to be beat. I was way more thrilled at my own second place finish because I'd worked my ass off and rode well with my team. I had no concern about the woman on the top step of the podium and her biological attributes. In later finding out that she was trans (which only came out more because a bunch of dickhead male cyclists decided to pick this up as some great case), nobody really asked the women's peloton what we thought/if we cared. Sure, there were a handful of women who didn't think it was right that a "biological male" was in the race... but frankly, those women complaining were also nowhere near in contention of a podium step anyway. There were plenty other strong cisgender women they should be more concerned about. Or, you know, they could just focus on their own training.

Basing your whole exclusive shitty policy on the off-chance that woman may eventually lose to another woman (who happens to be trans) means you just need to do a better job teaching and preparing your children how to lose with grace.

I'm sure it gives you great solace that Junebug is pretending to be outraged on your behalf so you don't have to be.

This is why it's such a shame that most of the women posters are gone. Thank you for sharing your experience. I'm curious if you think it's this cut and dry for athletic events at all levels. Do you disagree with the rules for the olympics?

This is why it's such a shame that most of the women posters are gone. Thank you for sharing your experience. I'm curious if you think it's this cut and dry for athletic events at all levels. Do you disagree with the rules for the olympics?

I don't disagree with the current IOC rules; they seem reasonable *from my perspective.* However, I will be open and honest in saying I have not read significantly about the thoughts and opinions of the trans community/subject matter experts on the rules, and those are the voices we should be seeking out. I am happy to learn more and focus my effort and energy on supporting what the most affected persons would want.

We have a whole lot of people playing armchair analysts on rules and policies that do not affect any of us in a meaningful way. Throwing out all these "but WHAT IF there is a trans elite athlete and they're STEALING OPPORTUNITIES from other athletes?!" That one what-if, rare circumstance where it would have meaningful impact on the 'loser's' life is not remotely close to being a legitimate reason to exclude trans athletes from participating in youth and amateur sports. You'd be codifying meaningful DETRIMENTAL policy against children and trans athletes. The legislation being brought up in various states right now is terrifically *detrimentally* impactful to thousands of children. Spending energy and effort discussing the merits of these policies on Olympic and professional athletes seems to be a total strawman to keep people from having to face up to the fact that they're totally fine with discriminating among children. (not saying you're doing this, more making commentary on some of the other posters on this thread in the few pages I've been keeping up with)

I'm sure it gives you great solace that Junebug is pretending to be outraged on your behalf so you don't have to be.

Oh yes. So much comfort in his caring. I am also SURE that once he hears a real opinion from someone he's trying to represent, he'll recognize the sword he's picked up isn't so mighty after all. He may even change his mind.

Oh yes. So much comfort in his caring. I am also SURE that once he hears a real opinion from someone he's trying to represent, he'll recognize the sword he's picked up isn't so mighty after all. He may even change his mind.[/QUOTE]

:bowrofl::bowrofl::bowrofl:

Ha; I've learned to be more conscious of my grammar/spelling when I'm posting. Siri says.....

Ambivalence
The state of having mixed feelings or ideas about something or someone.

Ambivalent
The state of having mixed feelings or ideas about something or someone.

Go figure.
I don't really find grammar or spelling to be a big deal and I don't think I've ever corrected anybody's grammar on here. I don't waste my time correcting my students' grammar either. I was encouraging you to look up ambivalent/ambivalence because you appeared to be using it to mean "lack of interest" which is a common mistake.

I don't really find grammar or spelling to be a big deal and I don't think I've ever corrected anybody's grammar on here. I don't waste my time correcting my students' grammar either. I was encouraging you to look up ambivalent/ambivalence because you appeared to be using it to mean "lack of interest" which is a common mistake.

BS...you've corrected many people's grammar.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to lbE08 again.

Because you're probably asleep, I went ahead and searched all the way back to 2015 and found zero examples of me correcting anybody's grammar. What I did find was several examples of you correcting other people's grammar and about a dozen instantiations of exactly this argument where you accuse me of correcting grammar and I explain that I don't give a shit.

You may be interested to know that I did find examples of the following posters correcting YOUR grammar before I gave up: BobKnightFan;, rchildress; birdman (while explaining that he is himself dyslexic); LiquidKarma; Jaybone (self-professed "grammar nerd"); WFUtoUNC; deacman; deaconsig; and shooshmoo. You should probably direct your ire that way.

On the other hand, I'm frequently point out when someone is trying to use a fancy word but doing it improperly. Usually with a joke or occasionally with a silly call out like with deacpop above. I also often ask you for clarification when your sentences are missing verbs, which are kind of important to understanding wtf you're trying to say.

Not gonna call out someone's grammar though because I don't have great grammar myself.

I'm not even exaggerating. If you want to chuckle or maybe even just smile on the inside, search "grammar" and sort by posts and click on every thread with my name on it. There are literally a dozen instances in the last six years where I patiently explain to rj that I don't care about grammar.

Reading old threads is kind of hilarious; we basically just say the same things over and over.

And I'm laughing about you going through six years of posts. You are too young to be that bored.

By the way:

"Grammar is the set of structural rules that govern the composition of sentences, phrases, and words."

Thus correcting how words or phrases are used can be considered grammar. Or the bad typing that drops some occasionally.

By now, you shouldn't have to be told. I am in CA. I'm old. I'm not dead or in bed so early no matter how long and curly.

On the other hand, I'm frequently point out when someone is trying to use a fancy word but doing it improperly. Usually with a joke or occasionally with a silly call out like with deacpop above. I also often ask you for clarification when your sentences are missing verbs, which are kind of important to understanding wtf you're trying to say.

Dude...this is exactly what RJ is getting at and you know it.

He corrects syntax, not grammar. A writer should know the difference!

"Grammar is the set of structural rules that govern the composition of sentences, phrases, and words."

But why be bothered by definitions when you can show your deeply held hatred?

Back