Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71213141516171819 LastLast
Results 321 to 340 of 371

Thread: Transgender Athletes

  1. #321
    I'm out of the loop on NC politics and don't feel like googling - is there potentially enough partisan support for that to pass through the state legislature?
    I know how to spell definitely.

  2. #322
    Yes, but most likely would be vetoed by Cooper. The GOP doesn't have a veto-proof majority anymore. I have not heard if there is any democrat support. Will learn more tonight.

  3. #323
    Isn't the age of adulthood in NC 18? What's the argument for 21?
    semi-aquatic like otters be.

  4. #324
    Boomer Boy Shorty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    GA's Gilded 6th
    Posts
    7,917
    Quote Originally Posted by BillBrasky View Post
    God I hope I'm not this stubborn and socially unaware when hit my 70's. I feel like this generation of olds are especially dense.
    Every younger generation things olds are especially dense. I know we did.

  5. #325
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    PhDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    119,786
    Quote Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
    Every younger generation things olds are especially dense. I know we did.
    Maybe olds are especially dense.

  6. #326
    Boomer Boy Shorty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    GA's Gilded 6th
    Posts
    7,917
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDeac View Post
    Maybe olds are especially dense.
    Itís a distinct possibility.

  7. #327
    Banhammer'd
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    HB, CA
    Posts
    78,116
    Quote Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
    Every younger generation things olds are especially dense. I know we did.
    Shorty, you need a Point of Reference. According to Brasky, you would be "socially unaware" if some people didn't think you were funny on a message board. He even deconstructed the term to its component parts of "socially" and "unaware".

    I'd make a serious bet that if you asked 1000 people in Brooklyn or SF or Austin (all woke places) or 1000 in each what "socially unaware" means, you wouldn't find one (who has no connections to Brasky) that would say it meant in being unfunny to some on an internet message board.

    I put the Over/Under at 43.5 years old as when Brasky screams at kids to get off his lawn.
    Last edited by RJKarl; 04-07-2021 at 08:14 PM.

  8. #328
    Quote Originally Posted by IamThunderbolt View Post
    Arkansas might become the fist state to ban gender-affirming care to trans youth

    This is awful. TN and Alabama have similar laws in the works.
    Somebody recently posted that the Republicans privately know that they've lost the fight over gay rights (not that they've stopped trying to limit them, but they know that growing social acceptance of gays is making it more and more difficult) so they've now switched their main focus to a smaller and even more vulnerable minority that they can oppress with less likelihood of a lashback in most states and with the approval of nearly all of their base. "They'll be sharing your daughter's public restrooms and beating them in women's sports!" is their new battle cry.

  9. #329
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    PhDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    119,786
    Quote Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
    Itís a distinct possibility.
    The longer you live, the more you think you know even though the world is changing around you.

  10. #330
    Quote Originally Posted by Highland Deac View Post
    Somebody recently posted that the Republicans privately know that they've lost the fight over gay rights (not that they've stopped trying to limit them, but they know that growing social acceptance of gays is making it more and more difficult) so they've now switched their main focus to a smaller and even more vulnerable minority that they can oppress with less likelihood of a lashback in most states and with the approval of nearly all of their base. "They'll be sharing your daughter's public restrooms and beating them in women's sports!" is their new battle cry.
    This is 100% it. They realized they lost the culture war on gay marriage, so this is the new culture war they can fight to scare and rile up the base. Most people don't know anyone who is transgendered, especially if you live in a small rural town, so it is something that seems odd and weird to them. But the entire point is to just gin up anger and hope they get more people out to vote; it was the same story with all the new gay marriage constitution bans back during the Bush years in the early 2000s.

  11. #331
    Boomer Boy Shorty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    GA's Gilded 6th
    Posts
    7,917
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDeac View Post
    The longer you live, the more you think you know even though the world is changing around you.
    Can I get that stitched on a pillow?

  12. #332
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    PhDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    119,786
    Quote Originally Posted by dcnelso View Post
    This is 100% it. They realized they lost the culture war on gay marriage, so this is the new culture war they can fight to scare and rile up the base. Most people don't know they know anyone who is transgendered, especially if you live in a small rural town, so it is something that seems odd and weird to them. But the entire point is to just gin up anger and hope they get more people out to vote; it was the same story with all the new gay marriage constitution bans back during the Bush years in the early 2000s.
    Important addendum. I mean Boys Donít Cry came out 1999.

    This whole trans panic is part of the hail mary to halt the coming irrelevance of right-wing extremism. Itís amazing how theyíve convinced themselves that theyíre solving this major problem that exists in womenís sports. I see Republicans using this to virtue signal that they care more about womenís sports and clapback at the NCAA for the weight room debacle.

  13. #333
    Quote Originally Posted by IamThunderbolt View Post
    If you'd like to push back against this bill, consider sending an email:

    https://actionnetwork.org/letters/ur...78uQZx8OEerP2w

    Equality NC and the UCLU are having a call tonight to help folks understand the bill and learn how you can fight to protect trans kids. If you're interested, pm me and I'll send you the link to register.
    sent - thank you for posting it.

  14. #334
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDeac View Post
    Maybe olds are especially dense.
    I'm a member of Gen X, and I remember in the early 80s listening to old folks at church and elsewhere (mostly members of the WW2 generation) talk about how awful kids in general were (never their own, usually), they were rude and lazy and spoiled (always playing on their Ataris instead of doing chores or homework!), and the crime rate in big cities was due to teens and so forth. I swore that when I got older I'd never just sit around and bitch about the younger generation. And so now what do I see and hear often from my aging Gen X peers? Lots of complaints about the worthless Millennials and even younger folk, and constant discussion about how much better things were in the good ole days of the 1970s and 1980s - to listen to them it was just a golden age when everybody was patriotic and on the same page about everything and even liberals weren't as crazy as they are now. Everything was better back then - music, television, the economy, everything. Personally I think what these people are really lamenting is their lost youth when they were still young and healthier and they didn't have the inevitable disappointments and indignities that come with getting older. Maybe it's the same way with every generation.
    Last edited by Highland Deac; 04-08-2021 at 07:53 AM.

  15. #335
    Quote Originally Posted by RJKarl View Post
    Shorty, you need a Point of Reference. According to Brasky, you would be "socially unaware" if some people didn't think you were funny on a message board. He even deconstructed the term to its component parts of "socially" and "unaware".

    I'd make a serious bet that if you asked 1000 people in Brooklyn or SF or Austin (all woke places) or 1000 in each what "socially unaware" means, you wouldn't find one (who has no connections to Brasky) that would say it meant in being unfunny to some on an internet message board.

    I put the Over/Under at 43.5 years old as when Brasky screams at kids to get off his lawn.
    RJ, STFU. This isnít about you. You are bringing a grievance from a different conversation to start an argument here and make this about you. Grow thicker skin and learn how to move on. You are not a victim here.
    Letís get this done!

  16. #336
    Quote Originally Posted by RJKarl View Post
    Shorty, you need a Point of Reference. According to Brasky, you would be "socially unaware" if some people didn't think you were funny on a message board. He even deconstructed the term to its component parts of "socially" and "unaware".

    I'd make a serious bet that if you asked 1000 people in Brooklyn or SF or Austin (all woke places) or 1000 in each what "socially unaware" means, you wouldn't find one (who has no connections to Brasky) that would say it meant in being unfunny to some on an internet message board.

    I put the Over/Under at 43.5 years old as when Brasky screams at kids to get off his lawn.
    The fact that you thought this post was necessary and funny/made an actual point actually proves Brasky correct. Which pains me to say because he's a dirty, dirty Everton supporter.

  17. #337
    Quote Originally Posted by Highland Deac View Post
    I'm a member of Gen X, and I remember in the early 80s listening to old folks at church and elsewhere (mostly members of the WW2 generation) talk about how awful kids in general were (never their own, usually), they were rude and lazy and spoiled (always playing on their Ataris instead of doing chores or homework!), and the crime rate in big cities was due to teens and so forth. I swore that when I got older I'd never just sit around and bitch about the younger generation. And so now what do I see and hear often from my aging Gen X peers? Lots of complaints about the worthless Millennials and even younger folk, and constant discussion about how much better things were in the good ole days of the 1970s and 1980s - to listen to them it was just a golden age when everybody was patriotic and on the same page about everything and even liberals weren't as crazy as they are now. Everything was better back then - music, television, the economy, everything. Personally I think what these people are really lamenting is their lost youth when they were still young and healthier and they didn't have the inevitable disappointments and indignities that come with getting older. Maybe it's the same way with every generation.
    The sad thing about Gen X is that because Boomers have refused to relinquish their stranglehold on American society and honor the time-tested tradition of trying to make America better and pass it on to the next generation (not claiming successful, just that that's the ideal), Gen X has still never had its shot to take the wheel and try to steer the boat. That has led to Gen X'ers either trying to join Boomers and fuck over younger generations (see also your points about nostalgia for the 70s/80s) or join the millennials, Gen Y and Gen Z generations and try to wrest control from Boomers.

    I don't think the "get off my lawn" stage of life is an inevitability, I just think most Boomers never had a hard day in their life so lack the empathy or ability to understand real trials and tribulations of younger generations, they just think we are all ungrateful moaners. So when something that definitely wasn't a common knowledge thing in their youth is now all of a sudden center stage (trans rights), there is no frame of reference they can look to to understand why it's important, why the struggles are so real and harsh for that subset of people, and why they are being yelled at for being dicks about it (trying to bring it all back around).

    All that being said, fuck boomers, go fuck off and let Gen X have a try, they are the Prince Charles of America with only half the blatant racism and adultery.

  18. #338
    Banhammer'd
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    HB, CA
    Posts
    78,116
    Let me see, were millennials thrown in jail trying to fight for civil rights? Killed for fighting for voting rights? Killed in Vietnam? Who created things like Earth Day and the environmental movement? When did the women's movement get really going? When did the gay rights movement start and by whom?

    When Boomers got power, we got it by taking it from the people before us. For at least the last fifteen years, I've been begging you guys to take your turn at power. Rather than putting yourselves at risk or on the line, you whine and bitch about Boomers. Unlike every generation before it, millennials would rather blame than do.

    You have more power and ability to organize and put your cases forward than we ever dreamed possible, but you'd rather cry than do.

    It's your world TAKE IT. Don't whine and cry about how mean others are.

    By the way, there's another huge difference between Zs and millennials versus Boomers. If we found allies in our causes, we didn't attack them and drive them away. We welcomed help from those who supported our causes. You spit on them and then blame them for not doing enough for you.

  19. #339
    I'm not getting into a spitting war because this thread is about trans rights, not boomers vs. millennials, just wanted to make the Gen X point because I think it's important to think about in the context of something like trans rights. The bridge generation where things like trans rights started to become visible has never had the opportunity to lead the transition from outright ignorance on the topic to the pretty much blanket acceptance of its existence from younger generations. That's bad.

    #JusticeForGenX

  20. #340
    Banhammer'd
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    HB, CA
    Posts
    78,116
    Quote Originally Posted by Gooner View Post
    I'm not getting into a spitting war because this thread is about trans rights, not boomers vs. millennials, just wanted to make the Gen X point because I think it's important to think about in the context of something like trans rights. The bridge generation where things like trans rights started to become visible has never had the opportunity to lead the transition from outright ignorance on the topic to the pretty much blanket acceptance of its existence from younger generations. That's bad.

    #JusticeForGenX
    This is so typical from you. You rant and rave, hurl invectives, then run away.

    Yet you feel the need to attack an entire generation, many of whom are on your side and have been actively working on that side for decades. Rather thanking them or realizing you are building on the base that was created by others, you continually spit the faces of your allies.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •