Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 373

Thread: Transgender Athletes

  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by BeachBumDeac View Post
    So you want to hear other people’s thoughts but have no interest in learning something new or changing your mind?
    the Tunnels
    semi-aquatic like otters be.

  2. #42
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    PhDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    120,354
    Danica Roem discussed Virginia’s trans athlete policy on Monday’s Pod Save America. It was established in 2014.

    https://richmond.com/news/local/vhsl...a4bcf6878.html

    “The athlete must have undergone sex reassignment, including surgical removal of the external sex organs and the ovaries or testes. He or she must undergo hormonal therapy such that it minimizes gender-related advantages in sports competition.

    If the student stops taking hormonal therapy, he or she will be required to participate in the sport of his or her birth gender.”

  3. #43
    so Virginia is one of the seven states CT refers to as having this requirement (which is completely different from CT and, according to CT, most other states):

    Seven states require participants adhere to the gender identified on their birth certificate or require surgery and a hormone wait period.
    I would not have pegged VA as being one of those seven

  4. #44
    I find this all a bit funny. It’s an anecdote but, my sister has always been a far better athlete than me. She got a partial scholarship offer to play basketball at Johns Hopkins, and probably would have been the second best player on our varsity boys b-ball team in high school (the best player was a starter at Princeton when they beat UCLA in the tourney in the 90s).

    I am going to once again suggest, this time without the jokes, that I think we eventually see hormone level testing to determine which level or class of sports competition you compete in. It would be like weighs ins for wrestling or boxing but with testosterone. This solves the “trans problem” and partially the PED problem.
    Birds are real.

  5. #45
    they should do height categories for basketball so biff and brasky can have a chance

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by BeachBumDeac View Post
    So you want to hear other people’s thoughts but have no interest in learning something new or changing your mind?
    That's not what he said. You are being a dick.
    Let’s get this done!

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDeac View Post
    Danica Roem discussed Virginia’s trans athlete policy on Monday’s Pod Save America. It was established in 2014.

    https://richmond.com/news/local/vhsl...a4bcf6878.html

    “The athlete must have undergone sex reassignment, including surgical removal of the external sex organs and the ovaries or testes. He or she must undergo hormonal therapy such that it minimizes gender-related advantages in sports competition.

    If the student stops taking hormonal therapy, he or she will be required to participate in the sport of his or her birth gender.”
    Thanks for that link, Ph.
    I think this is an important part of the conversation. I am not sure that context is going to convince any additional people that already oppose, but it does seem to address what seems to be their primary objective argument against. There are 2 levels to this, though. Is eligibility based on gender identity or requirements noted above that would mitigate the "competitive sex advantage". There are gong to be some trans women that aren't (yet) comfortable with all the commitments that go with Virginia's policy. That doesn't just make them a dude with a wig. I think "we" consider the balance of whether they are included/excluded from competition?
    Let’s get this done!

  8. #48

    Transgender Athletes

    I 100% acknowledge that I am being a dick. You yourself acknowledge that more context will not help the people opposed to the idea (like DeacsPop). So what is the point of this thread? So weird that he keeps bringing up the the Fox News talking point du jour.
    Last edited by BeachBumDeac; 03-12-2021 at 08:33 PM.

  9. #49
    Banhammer'd
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    HB, CA
    Posts
    78,116
    You aren't just this way to me. This is who you are and are apparently proud of it. Pop and I rarely agree on anything (and don't here), but unless you are calling him and out and out liar, he seems to be genuinely trying to learn something.

    My bad, you know what's in his heart and mind. Your acting this way towards others again and again and again is such a good look.

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by DeacsPop View Post
    Work on your reading comprehension, I am not looking to be educated.

  11. #51
    Banhammer'd
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    HB, CA
    Posts
    78,116
    " know this brings out all the cynics but believe me, I have no Agenda here; just curious."

  12. #52
    Dude starts with “transgenders shouldn’t play competitive sports” which is really fucking broad and vague (not to mention hateful). When Ph asks him to be more specific and think deeper about what part of it he disagrees with his response is... “transgenders shouldn’t play competitive sports, because my daughter was awesome at sports”. Then asking questions that he could’ve easily researched on his own in order to answer Ph’s question better. And all this right after Fox News has been beating the “men with wigs are going to beat your daughters in sports” drum for the better part of a week.

    Excuse me if I’m not holding his fucking hand on this one.

  13. #53
    Banhammer'd
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    HB, CA
    Posts
    78,116
    You are who you are and are proud of it. That's your choice.

  14. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by birdman View Post
    I am going to once again suggest, this time without the jokes, that I think we eventually see hormone level testing to determine which level or class of sports competition you compete in. It would be like weighs ins for wrestling or boxing but with testosterone. This solves the “trans problem” and partially the PED problem.
    I believe several Olympic sport governing bodies have already instituted, or are considering, testosterone testing and limits.

  15. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by BeachBumDeac View Post
    I 100% acknowledge that I am being a dick. You yourself acknowledge that more context will not help the people opposed to the idea (like DeacsPop). So what is the point of this thread? So weird that he keeps bringing up the the Fox News talking point du jour.
    No, that is not what I said. I don't know if it will convince people. I mean that generally. I do think it might impact some. Here, we have someone that seems to be uncomfortable with the idea but open to others' viewpoints. I think we should entertain that rather than just be a dick.
    I took his "I am not here to be educated" to be a bit knee jerk and communicating he isn't expected you to do a bunch of work for him. He is interested in learning from other's perspectives.
    Let’s get this done!

  16. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by IamThunderbolt View Post
    I think it does. And if there is another way to take what you're saying, please let me know. But to say that trans women are not women, but are actually men, does it not deny the existence of trans women, only allowing only that they are men who have a delusion?
    Again, I don't deny the existence of trans people. They exist. I think it is real. But a biological male who believes themself to be a woman, is a biological male, even if they express their gender as female. I'll call that person whatever they want to be called--he, she, it, whatever--and I won't fire them, evict them, or exclude them from a place of public accommodation based on their trans status--because I don't really care how my employees, tenants, or customers want to live their life or express their gender/sexuality--but it doesn't change the fact they are a biological male.

    And, more pertinent to the topic, when a biological male hits puberty, that person's body undergoes changes that make that person bigger, faster, and stronger than the person would otherwise be. Thus, that person should compete athletically against other biological males, whose bodies have undergone the same changes. No one is saying that biological males can't compete. They just have to compete against other biological males--whose bodies have undergone the same changes--so there isn't an unfair advantage. Otherwise, why do we even bother with women's sports? If sex is a continuum, we should just have jv and varsity and be done with it.

    It is mind-blowing to me that this view is controversial, but I think that says more about the makeup of the regular posters on this board than it does about the merits of the idea.

  17. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by WakeBored View Post
    Again, I don't deny the existence of trans people. They exist. I think it is real. But a biological male who believes themself to be a woman, is a biological male, even if they express their gender as female.
    Probably could’ve just stopped your post there. I’d suggest getting out and meeting some trans people.

  18. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by WakeBored View Post
    It is mind-blowing to me that this view is controversial, but I think that says more about the makeup of the regular posters on this board than it does about the merits of the idea.
    That maybe we're friends with transmen and women?
    semi-aquatic like otters be.

  19. #59
    It’s odd to me that the assumption is if you think biological males should compete against biological males it is because you don’t know trans people. Ad hominem to the core.

  20. #60
    "I'll call them whatever they want to be called but I won't recognize them. Men always big strong. Women always small weak. It science."
    semi-aquatic like otters be.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •