• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Transgender Athletes

You are in a small group of people who are irrational. I have few problems with most posters. Maybe you should look in the mirror.

“I get in arguments on every thread I post on, but I get along with almost everyone and you people are the problem”

Please change the name of this thread to “rjkarl vs grammar (and syntax).” Otherwise we are dead naming this thread.

RJ, just accept that fact that BBD has no use for anyone over 60 and be done with it.

I am incredibly easy to get along with if one has the interest in doing so. It's on them.

I love watching DR make them dance so easily. He might get angry with me, but he's a good guy and has helped numerous posters over the years. Hell, he's either given some jobs or helped find jobs for them.

I'll add syntax to the list of things I don't really care about.

LK, I am indeed guilty of pointing out when rj forgets to include important words. But I don't do that to "police" some prescriptive notion of the English language but rather to understand wtf he is saying.

Ribbing people for misusing fancy words is something I enjoy. Now I can see why someone might associate that with the same impulse that drives the grammar enthusiast, but they are not at all the same thing.

People's grammar reflects a lot of things outside of their control: upbringing, education, culture, etc.

Incorrectly used words reflects a pretension and a desire to sound smart. In my opinion, people would be better off just speaking in plain language.

Missing words only reflects RJ's lazy proofreading.

wakephan is ambivalent about syntax.

And I'm laughing about you going through six years of posts. You are too young to be that bored.

Haha! If you only knew what I do for a living...

By the way:

"Grammar is the set of structural rules that govern the composition of sentences, phrases, and words."

[And borrowed from a later post on the thread:] But why be bothered by definitions

Need townie to confirm (ha, how y'all think that meme got started......), but quoting the dictionary to accuse someone of being a prescriptivist is a tad ironic.

I bet I am the only person on this board who's ever lost to a trans woman in a sporting event.
Guess what. I didn't care. At all. Not even a little. The woman was a strong rider, sure, but not any more outrageously strong than plenty of women I've raced against and trained with. Hell, in that particular race as Cat 4 cyclists there were three FIELDS of women stronger than us and the winner of our race wouldn't have won in those fields.
The varied ability of female athletes ALWAYS leaves room for you to be beat. I was way more thrilled at my own second place finish because I'd worked my ass off and rode well with my team. I had no concern about the woman on the top step of the podium and her biological attributes. In later finding out that she was trans (which only came out more because a bunch of dickhead male cyclists decided to pick this up as some great case), nobody really asked the women's peloton what we thought/if we cared. Sure, there were a handful of women who didn't think it was right that a "biological male" was in the race... but frankly, those women complaining were also nowhere near in contention of a podium step anyway. There were plenty other strong cisgender women they should be more concerned about. Or, you know, they could just focus on their own training.

Basing your whole exclusive shitty policy on the off-chance that woman may eventually lose to another woman (who happens to be trans) means you just need to do a better job teaching and preparing your children how to lose with grace.

/thread

LK, I am indeed guilty of pointing out when rj forgets to include important words. But I don't do that to "police" some prescriptive notion of the English language but rather to understand wtf he is saying.

Ribbing people for misusing fancy words is something I enjoy. Now I can see why someone might associate that with the same impulse that drives the grammar enthusiast, but they are not at all the same thing.

People's grammar reflects a lot of things outside of their control: upbringing, education, culture, etc.

Incorrectly used words reflects a pretension and a desire to sound smart. In my opinion, people would be better off just speaking in plain language.

Not lazy proofreading...very rare proofreading...

You don’t think incorrect word choice can be driven by upbringing, education, or culture?

Geez.

“There are two lobbyist groups that when they say jump, I ask how high. SB 208 is promoted by the Family Policy Alliance (one of the two) (no, the other one is not the Kansas Chamber!).”

A few paragraphs later:

“One of my absolutes was that unelected officials must not be allowed to make orders or mandates on individuals or the public.”

I guess he meant unless they pay for it.

Im sure it’s just a coincidence that Junebug uses same talking points as Anti-LGBTQ lobbying group.

Geez.

“There are two lobbyist groups that when they say jump, I ask how high. SB 208 is promoted by the Family Policy Alliance (one of the two) (no, the other one is not the Kansas Chamber!).”

A few paragraphs later:

“One of my absolutes was that unelected officials must not be allowed to make orders or mandates on individuals or the public.”

I guess he meant unless they pay for it.

Back