• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Transgender Athletes

What is the meaning of life?
Why do birds fly?
What is it like in the black hole of Calcutta?

Why do the boards exist?

I’ll handle the second question. It’s pretty simple really...Because god intelligently designed them that way.

Sports are really important and who gets to play on what sports team and compete in what game is a vitally important political question. That’s what I think.

Trans people deserve the same opportunity to reap the social, physical, and psychological benefits that come from participating in sports. The advantage to those trans men and women (who suffer from depression and commit suicide at way higher rates than the general population) outweighs any possible competitive advantages that they may have (which is pretty questionable anyways).

like bym said, I'm fine with a competitive advantage if it means moving toward the recognition of full personhood for trans folks.

What did I do?

I’m all for complete personhood and rights for trans people.

I’m not 100% certain about the sports aspect, but I don’t think it’s the most urgent problem we have to deal with these days.

I've been thinking about this a lot lately. No, not really. I haven't been thinking about this.

People will generally automatically picture themselves with cisgender kids and get up in arms that a cisgender kid might not make the team. Instead put yourself in the shoes of a parent of a transgender kid that you have fought and advocated for over the years only to be told that they can't join a basketball team because of who they are. That would be shitty! They deserve a chance to try out and be treated like everybody else

Who the fuck cares? I sure don’t. I am concerned about a global pandemic that has killed millions of people though.

But my non transgendered daughter isn’t going to get her college scholarship if she has to compete with boys! It’s not fair!

This is such a made up issue in the culture wars. Makes for a good Hannity rant. I go to a lot of HS sport events and am still waiting to see a “oh wow she’s too good to be playing for the girls” player. Not sure I ever will. And I live in Carrboro.

So many more important issue in sports to worry about.

Pop, explain the process by which trans athletes have to qualify to play sports and what you think is unfair about it.

It’s hard to assume the same people who don’t want them to use the bathroom are thinking of everyone’s best interest in sports.
Pop, Junebug, what are your issues with the hormone therapy process and standards?

I think I'm just going to keep asking this question whenever I come back to check this thread. Until I get an answer, I'm going assume they think dudes just throw on a wig and sport bra and start dunking on poor helpless Sara and Jennifer.

Pop, explain the process by which trans athletes have to qualify to play sports and what you think is unfair about it.

Good question and didn't realize many of you don't feel this isn't more of an issue than I thought. My only frame of reference is having had a daughter who excelled in sports in high school. I just don't believe it would be fair for her and her teammates compete against a transgender female. While this may be the elephant in the room and if so I'll claim the age card; isn't the reality that a transgender female may have serious physical advantages? Easy to say, who gives a F but the question remains; is it fair to everyone involved? I understand that hormone therapy may mitigate this advantage but is that always the case?
I know this brings out all the cynics but believe me, I have no Agenda here; just curious.

Last edited:
Honestly sounds like you just don’t want to educate yourself at all or see things from someone else’s perspective.

Honestly sounds like you just don’t want to educate yourself at all or see things from someone else’s perspective.

What bull shit. Educate myself?? Can you be any more condescending? I'm listening to everyone's perspective. Sorry if I have one as well.

So why not do some research and answer Ph’s question? Why is it up to us to educate you on this topic?

BBD, he might not have a starting point to know how to educate himself. Asking here is a reasonable starting point. It's kind of shitty to say he can't ask the question until he has done all of his own research. If you don't want to respond, don't.
If people have links to provide insight, provide.
I actually give Pops credit on this one. I feel he has been close-minded on certain topics. In this case, he is acknowledging his age/generation may play a role in his perspective and is asking (primarily) younger posters about their perspective.

In terms of Ph's questions, are we only considering trans females that undergo surgery and/or hormone therapy?

So why not do some research and answer Ph’s question? Why is it up to us to educate you on this topic?

Work on your reading comprehension, I am not looking to be educated. I understand the issue, believe that transgenders should not compete in competitive sports due to physical advantages and was wondering what others thought. No more, no less.

Girls are already competing against each other with uneven athletic talent, skill, and physical prowess. Same as boys. Its already an uneven playing field. Should Shaq, LeBron, or Kobe have been excluded from hs bball because they were far superior than their competion in those areas? Does a one and done nba talent deserve to be held off the team because it takes away from a spot a lesser talented kid?

Work on your reading comprehension, I am not looking to be educated. I understand the issue, believe that transgenders should not compete in competitive sports due to physical advantages and was wondering what others thought. No more, no less.

So you want to hear other people’s thoughts but have no interest in learning something new or changing your mind?

there are many processes which vary widely by state

here is summary, taken from CT's policy (the document is aging; I'm sure some states subsequently changed their stance to some degree):

Review of State Association Policies for Transgender Athletic Participation
A review of state association polices revealed a close connection to state law with reference to federal law, for those who have policies. Forty-three states currently have transgender policies defined within their state athletic association by-laws. Eighteen of those states have policies which do not require medical hormones or surgical requirements. Eighteen states require an individual review and make determinations on a case-by-case basis. Seven states require participants adhere to the gender identified on their birth certificate or require surgery and a hormone wait period. For thirty-six states that do not require hormone therapy of surgical modification, even those considering classification on a case-by-case basis, the following legal references are adhered to:
 Fourteenth amendment Equal Protection Clause which guarantees equal protection under the law and prohibits discrimination based on arbitrary criteria, including prohibition against inequities rooted in sexual orientation or gender identity.
 Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 which is a broad-based anti-gender-discrimination law increasingly being used to provide legal recourse for LGBTQ students.

Last edited:
Back