• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2021 College Football Thread: Grass Picker Named to CFP Selection Committee!

Texas-Oklahoma set for an 11:00 AM CDT kickoff in two weeks. Texas offense can put up points but their defense sucks. This game should be a track meet and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Texas win. Texas beat a ranked team to open the season, lost to Arkansas, and clobbered the other two teams they played. They should probably still be ranked. Game against TCU (which just lost to SMU) this weekend should be a decent barometer.

Not sure if Oklahoma can score. The last two weeks, the Sooners scored 23 on Nebraska (which included returning a blocked PAT for a two point score), and 16 on West Virginia (less than either MD or VT scored). Even if Texas' defense is terrible, haven't seen any evidence that OK has the offense to keep up. Thinking that neither the ACC, nor the Big 12, will get a playoff team this year.

BTW, on Saturday, WF's first game opponent, ODU, had it's heart ripped out, by the reffs (and their kicker) against Buffalo. ODU had comeback from 35-7 to make it 35-34 with 19 seconds left. With all of the momentum, ODU was going to go for the 2 pointer and the win. The reffs called an excessive celebration call on ODU's TD, and Buffalo elected to enforce it on the PAT. So, ODU had to kick, and they missed the conversion attempt. Brutal.

Last edited:
Yeah, they're calling for Rattler to be benched and Texas is already on it's second quarterback. I think OU will be able to score against Texas, but probably not enough.

I've been very surprised at poorly Rattler (and OU) has played this season. I'm sure if you go back to my posts from the end of last season, I was thinking they should be the favorites to win it all this year.

Oops.

As much as it pains me to admit it as a UF fan, Alabama and Georgia are much better than anyone else this year. I think Georgia is probably the best overall team, but I still think I'd take Bama to beat them H2H. Feels like the Bama offense and UGA defense kind of offset, but I don't think UGA could score all that much on Bama.

And, of course, as a UF fan I still think the Gators could beat UGA (but it's probably like 1 in 3 odds).

I've been very surprised at poorly Rattler (and OU) has played this season. I'm sure if you go back to my posts from the end of last season, I was thinking they should be the favorites to win it all this year.

Oops.

As much as it pains me to admit it as a UF fan, Alabama and Georgia are much better than anyone else this year. I think Georgia is probably the best overall team, but I still think I'd take Bama to beat them H2H. Feels like the Bama offense and UGA defense kind of offset, but I don't think UGA could score all that much on Bama.

And, of course, as a UF fan I still think the Gators could beat UGA (but it's probably like 1 in 3 odds).

Maybe it was a fluke, but 9 days ago, Bama wasn't much better than Florida. The Tide was fortunate to escape that game. FWIW, think Ole Miss has a shot to pull a shocker this Saturday afternoon. I thought Bama was unbeatable after they boat-raced Miami, but in retrospect, that was more about Miami being terrible than Bama being dominant. Bama has taken a big step down at QB over the past few years. Maybe Bryce Young will become great, but he's not in the same league as Hurts/Tua/Jones right now.

Also, realize that the chances are slim, but if Arkansas beats UGA in Athens this weekend, they should be the unanimous #1 team in the country with wins over Texas, A&M in UGA over the first 5 weeks of the season. Nobody has played tougher schedule to start the year.

Last edited:
Don't necessarily disagree with that. And as much as I like Florida, I don't think they are a playoff contender right now. Don't see a way in for them unless they beat UGA and then win the SEC Championship.

I just think Bama (& Young) will continue to get better over the course of the season... Perhaps it's not fair to extrapolate like that for just Bama, but they've kind of earned it.

It's funny... I am less enthused about the battle for the National Championship this year and more interested in how bad things can get for teams like FSU, Miami, Clemson, UNC, Ohio State, etc. I like it when fanbases get irrationally angry and revolt.

The Alabama defense was pretty dang soft in that second half against Florida. I agree that Ole Miss will give them fits this weekend.

Don't necessarily disagree with that. And as much as I like Florida, I don't think they are a playoff contender right now. Don't see a way in for them unless they beat UGA and then win the SEC Championship.

I just think Bama (& Young) will continue to get better over the course of the season... Perhaps it's not fair to extrapolate like that for just Bama, but they've kind of earned it.

It's funny... I am less enthused about the battle for the National Championship this year and more interested in how bad things can get for teams like FSU, Miami, Clemson, UNC, Ohio State, etc. I like it when fanbases get irrationally angry and revolt.

yes. Awesome

The Alabama defense was pretty dang soft in that second half against Florida. I agree that Ole Miss will give them fits this weekend.

True that. I love betting some dogs this weekend with Ark currently getting 18.5 @ UGa, Ole Miss getting 14.5 @ Bama, GT getting 3.5 at home vs Pitt, Duke getting a whopping 18 @ UNC-Chapel Hill, ND getting 2.5 at home vs Cincy, 'Cuse getting 4.5 @ hopeless FSU, BC getting 16 @ Clemson and even La Tech getting19.5 @ NC State in an obvious letdown spot for the Wuffies.

Oops.

Rattler has not looked good, but that's mostly because his offensive line has been horrendous. The line play is right up there with the 2005 and 2009 lines as their worst in this century. Nobody knows WTF to do and it's really pretty inexplicable. Of course, this happens when OU actually has a good defensive line. They can't run the ball and they can't pass protect. Caleb Williams may give them some mobility at QB, but he still has to count on that lousy line to make blocks, and his RBs and WRs to seal the edges. Nobody is doing that right now.

As much as it pains me to admit it as a UF fan, Alabama and Georgia are much better than anyone else this year.

I'm not saying this is wrong but what is the evidence for this other than expectation? Georgia's offense was awful against Clemson and while it's looked much better since, the competition has been horrendous. Bama didn't look "much better" than Florida and its dominant win over Miami means less and less every week.

Again, I don't know that you're wrong, but neither of those teams look decidedly better than the pack, like Bama did a year ago or LSU the year before.

I'm not saying this is wrong but what is the evidence for this other than expectation? Georgia's offense was awful against Clemson and while it's looked much better since, the competition has been horrendous. Bama didn't look "much better" than Florida and its dominant win over Miami means less and less every week.

Again, I don't know that you're wrong, but neither of those teams look decidedly better than the pack, like Bama did a year ago or LSU the year before.

Not to speak for ATS who certainly has his own thoughts but probably mostly a factor of how shitty the other “top” teams look at this point.

Has Georgia looked better than Oregon? Better or "much better" than PSU or Michigan? ATS may well be right but so far, the only real difference between Bama and Georgia and Oregon or PSU is pre-season expectations and SEC membership.

Tonight would be a great time for UVA's offense to go off

Official 2021 College Football Thread: Virginia at Miami (-5.5) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And to elaborate, the #5 team in the country (Iowa) is favored by like 3 points over Maryland this weekend.

I’ll admit that Penn State has a couple of nice wins, but I think Auburn is meh (at best) and Wisconsin’s offense is garbage.

Haven’t seen enough of Oregon… Aside from the big win at OSU. They could be up there with Bama and UGA.

I actually don’t think there are any “great” teams this year (relative to the recent past, anyway). So maybe Bama and UGA aren’t that good… But they look much better than everyone else to me.

Miami QB D'Eriq King is out tonight against UVA. Line has dropped to 3.5.

I wonder how much the COVID-specific roster rules and the new-ish redshirt rules have led to this feeling that things are more even this year

I wonder how much the COVID-specific roster rules and the new-ish redshirt rules have led to this feeling that things are more even this year

Definitely part of it. The power schools (Clemson, Bama, tOSU) lost their best players to the NFL like they always do. "Developmental Programs" (really don't like that term, but every WF football game TV announcer loves to use that phrase talking about WF) retained many of their best players and were allowed to expand their rosters. For some programs, the ability to keep super seniors narrowed the gap. Not saying that WF is on par with the schools, but the gap is as small as it has ever been.

Back