• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2021 College Football Thread: Grass Picker Named to CFP Selection Committee!

Nebraska under investigation for breaking Covid protocols on off campus workouts. And, separately for having QC analysts doing on field coaching. The latter is on film with the HC and other assistant coaches watching.

Nebraska under investigation for breaking Covid protocols on off campus workouts. And, separately for having QC analysts doing on field coaching. The latter is on film with the HC and other assistant coaches watching.

You can get away with those types of violations when you're winning but not so much when you're losing. If Frost doesn't turn it around this year, these violations could serve to save Nebraska from having to come up with the cash for Frost's huge buy out.

Scott Frost appeared to be sent from God to save the Husker program. The perfect coaching candidate.

Born and raised in Nebraska, he played for the Huskers during the glory years. After playing in the NFL, he worked his way up as a college assistant, including holding the OC position at Oregon when they played for the Natty and had a Heisman winning QB (Mariotta). Frost further proved himself as HC as he inherited a UCF program at the bottom of the FBS barrel: 0-12 in 2015. Frost immediately turned around the UCF program as they finished the 2017 season 13-0, ranked #6, having beaten Auburn in a BCS bowl. 0-12 in 2015 to 13-0 in 2017. Incredible.

Frost was the alpha college football hire after the 2017. No way this hire could go wrong.

Well, 3 seasons later, Frost's record at Nebraska is 12-20 (9-17), and in an era when teams receive bowl invites for mediocre seasons, Nebraska has yet to qualify for a bowl game under Frost. The only thing worse for a head football coach than your team sucking is getting caught cheating while your team is sucking, and the Frost's Husker program managed to pull that off. Hard to believe, but got agree that Frost is another bad season away from getting bought out.

At some point Nebraska fans need to come to grips with the hard truth that the glory years are long gone, and that geography and demographics (Nebraska is ranked between New Mexico and Idaho in population) have lowered the ceiling for Nebraska football in this day and age.

I think you have to give Frost a longer leash.

Cheating aside, if he can't do it, then I don't think anyone can. Anyone they could actually hire, of course.

Nebraska didn't have a huge population when they were winning big either.

Still a national brand, but nowhere near as big. They're a victim of a shifting landscape. They left the Big 8-12 to get away from Texas, lost the annual Oklahoma matchup, and couldn't compete in a weak B1G Legends division for some reason. People still remember Lawrence Phillips too.

No, but at one time they were a national brand. Can you say that now?

Back then Nebraska had a massive walkon contingent. Those guys provided a steady influx of linemen who were bigger than everybody else's linemen. No more.

Oh man, this is good stuff. Remember when it looked like Nebraska was trying to weasel out of the game with OU, but Nebraska denied it was considering such a thing ? Frost and his AD have conflicting stories.

Nebraska didn't have a huge population when they were winning big either.

Population didn't matter then because Nebraska could pull elite players out of the Northeast (NJ was huge for them), Florida and California. They can't do that any more because not only are they not a national brand, but other programs have emerged since the 1980s and 1990s that are more attractive and will be more attractive going forward. The time is long gone from Nebraska could beat University of Florida for a top rated player from that state, but now, Nebraska can't even beat UCF or even Wake Forest or Ole Miss (or similar Power V program) for a player from Florida. Similarly, Penn State was Nebraska's main competition for players from the Northeast; now, Clemson, Bama, Notre Dame, tOSU get the top players from the Northeast, and Nebraska can't beat BC, Rutgers or even Wisconsin for the next tier of players from that region. All of the elite programs now raid California, but for the secondary tier of players, Nebraska no longer can beat even Stanford or Arizona State or the rest of the Pac 12.

In the 1970s up through the 1980s, there just weren't many programs that expended significant resources on college football. At that time, Nebraska had the state of the art strength facilities, dining facilities and performance-enhancing capabilities. Now, everyone from Iowa State to Wake Forest has all of the bells and whistles. Nebraska is just another Power V program, but it's in a state with a population that rarely produces FBS level football talent, and there aren't the same reasons to go to Nebraska over any other BCS school (or even some non-BCS schools) like there were in 30+ years ago.

I'm not arguing with any of that. I also think Nebraska had 110 guys on steroids back when they were good too.

Still a national brand, but nowhere near as big. They're a victim of a shifting landscape. They left the Big 8-12 to get away from Texas, lost the annual Oklahoma matchup, and couldn't compete in a weak B1G Legends division for some reason. People still remember Lawrence Phillips too.

I'd say they are still barely a national brand and mostly with the 40+ crowd, who can remember when they were once of the top 5 premier programs in the country, but that is getting to be longer and longer ago. I think it's going to be real hard for Scott Frost or anybody else to get them anywhere close to where they used to be. I actually kind of like Nebraska, great fans, but I just think their time as a power is long gone and won't be coming back.

Looks like two Georgia starters (TE & S) out with foot surgery and won't play against Clemson. You nervous @Biff? I bet the Clemson season win total u11.5 so I need UGA to cash that for me week 1!!

I'm always nervous. Hopefully Arik Gilbert is ready to go. Dawgs are thin in the secondary.

Get ready for Biff to go into hiding for a week if UGA loses another big game.

Back