• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2021 College Football Thread: Grass Picker Named to CFP Selection Committee!

The perceived problem with the four team playoff has been the lack of Pac 12 and Big 12 participants.

Not correct. The problem is the same teams are making it constantly and people are getting bored of it.

As many know I've been reluctant to expand the playoffs further, but I think four is proving to be a bad number as it seems to be creating a situation where one handful of programs are constantly winning their leagues and making the playoff and elevating themselves above the rest even further. I'm for undercutting that by any means, this seems as good a fix to that as any.

That said enjoy playing those 17 games, "amateurs"

Last edited:
Not correct. The problem is the same teams are making it constantly and people are getting bored of it.

As many know I've been reluctant to expand the playoffs further, but I think four is proving to be a bad number as it seems to be creating a situation where one handful of programs are constantly winning their leagues and making the playoff and elevating themselves above the rest even further. I'm for undercutting that by any means, this seems as good a fix to that as any.

That said enjoy playing those 17 games, "amateurs"

I imagine the fans of teams from the PAC and Big 12 would disagree.

Expand the playoffs because fans are tired of watching the same few teams compete for the championship? Then give the same few teams a bye into the second round. One extra week of rest, one less game with a possibility of injury and one less game required to win a championship. There is nothing fair about that scenario. It gives four teams an obvious advantage.

Expand to 16 and require the same of every team participating in the championship.

Better yet, keep it at four or eight.

Last edited:
Getting a bye for winning a conference championship is unfair? OK.

It's a known fact that teams that get byes in the NFL playoffs always win their first game

Go with an 8 team playoff. SEC, ACC, Big 10, Big 12, Pac 12 champs all get in. Then highest ranked remaining teams. Limit of 2 teams from one conference. Seedings based on CFP rankings.

In 2019 we would have had
#1 LSU vs. #8 Wisconsin
#4Oklahoma vs. # 5 UGa
#2 Ohio St vs. # 7 Baylor
#3 Clemson vs. # 6 Oregon

Go with an 8 team playoff. SEC, ACC, Big 10, Big 12, Pac 12 champs all get in. Then highest ranked remaining teams. Limit of 2 teams from one conference. Seedings based on CFP rankings.

In 2019 we would have had
#1 LSU vs. #8 Wisconsin
#4Oklahoma vs. # 5 UGa
#2 Ohio St vs. # 7 Baylor
#3 Clemson vs. # 6 Oregon

That's a non-starter......if you don't give the Group of 5 automatic access in any playoff expansion, you'll be tied up in court for years.....

So now Notre Dame will be able to blame having to play an extra game for getting blown out in the playoff instead of not belonging in the first place.

That's a non-starter......if you don't give the Group of 5 automatic access in any playoff expansion, you'll be tied up in court for years.....

This is major college football, not everyone gets a trophy peewee football. If they want in, they need to earn it on the field not in the courts.

This is major college football, not everyone gets a trophy peewee football. If they want in, they need to earn it on the field not in the courts.

I mean, that sounds like a great thing to plaster all over a billboard and thump your chest about, but there are many reasons why they are going straight from 4 to 12 when 8 teams is the next logical step.....and guaranteed Group of 5 access is probably #2 behind the additional money.

Let them take it to court then. They aren't shut out in that scenario-- they just have to have a team finish in the top 8.

There is no reason for the highest ranked G5 team to get an automatic bid because that team may end up finishing #17 or something. Now I suppose in most years, the highest G5 team is going to finish in the 8-12 range and that won't be an issue in a 12 team playoff. They may even have two teams in the top 12. But you shouldn't get an automatic bid for winning CUSA or the Sun Belt and finishing 13th.

And you sure as hell should t get a home playoff game.

And you sure as hell should t get a home playoff game.

Bowl games have for years given one team a de facto advantage when playing for all the marbles. Miami in the Orange Bowl, LSU in the Sugar Bowl, USC in the Rose. I mean, it's not fair, but it happens. If anything, I would think that the expansion of the playoff would make those advantages easier to avoid in the earlier matchups, but you aren't going to avoid them entirely if the champ game ends up being somewhere where one of the teams has an obvious home field advantage.

If OU could make a final they could get a home field advantage in Dallas.

Considering printing up hats and t-shirts that read “TRANSFER PORTAL”. Will make millions.

They’d be going to the courts for the opportunity to earn it on the field instead of based on people’s opinions.

Here's what a 12-team playoff would have looked like had it been in place in 2006 (based off of the final BCS Standings that year)

(1) Ohio State

(8) Boise St*
(9) Auburn*

(4) Louisville#

(5) Michigan*
(12) Wake Forest

(2) Florida

(7) Wisconsin*
(10) Oklahoma

(3) Southern Cal

(6) LSU*
(11) Notre Dame*

* - At-Large Bid
# - Louisville gets the Group of Five automatic bid

So basically what did happen except in Ann Arbor instead of Miami.

So basically what did happen except in Ann Arbor instead of Miami.

Well Wake was guaranteed inclusion due to winning the ACC, but interesting to see that Louisville would have gotten a bye due to the BCS standings being very SEC and Big Ten heavy

Getting a bye for winning a conference championship is unfair? OK.

It's a known fact that teams that get byes in the NFL playoffs always win their first game

a team with a bye has never lost in the first round in nfl history

that was the point

Well Wake was guaranteed inclusion due to winning the ACC, but interesting to see that Louisville would have gotten a bye due to the BCS standings being very SEC and Big Ten heavy

I don't think that's necessarily true. The way I understand the proposal is that no conference champion is guaranteed entry by virtue of winning their conference. I'm pretty sure it's set up so that the the rankings of the conference champions are the only criteria used to determine the 6 conference champion bids, so in theory a team that falls ass backwards into winning their conference (think something ridiculous like a 7-5 GT upsetting a 12-0 Clemson in the ACCT) doesn't guarantee entry into the playoff.

With that said, at some point a P5 conference champion will probably get left out and it will be awesome or, with our luck, it'll be Wake.

B1G will find some way to send Ohio State no matter what rules they have to change along the way.

Back