• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Today Is "Public Defense Day"

BirdinBama

Reaction score
Today we honor those lawyers who serve as public defenders, or who otherwise represent the indigent. We do this because today is the anniversary of the landmark United States Supreme court decision in Gideon v. Wainwright. Gideon held that due process demands that a person facing the potential loss of liberty was entitled to counsel at the expense of the state. Interestingly, this opinion was authored by Justice Abe Fortas who only served a few years on the high court.

I began my legal career 42 years ago in a public defender's office. In many ways, it was the best time of my career. We were overworked, underpaid, and largely unappreciated. Public defenders today still are overworked and underpaid. But thank god for them. So, give a public defender a hug today.

I'd like to see public defenders have a law giving them equal budgets as the prosecution.

right on -- I'm sure you had some memorable cases

buddy did some public defense work at the Texas-Mexico border -- he had some stories

Back