• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Roy Williams retiring?

buckets

#1 Bald Hero
Reaction score
some smoke coming out of CH that ole Roy is hangin it up

It makes sense to me though I imagine he’d prefer to go out on a somewhat higher note. But still he’s 70 and has nothing left to accomplish. Coached and won titles at two of the most storied programs in history. UNC has fallen off dramatically in recent years. Not sure most UNC folks would even be that concerned about it.

He didn’t win a title at Kansas, my bad.

This would make a lot of sense. They won't be that good next year and have zero Top 30 players coming in next fall. On top of those factors, in a year or two the NBA CBA will change for HSers and he'd have to start recruiting rather than choosing.

DR will be pulling hard for his boy, Wes. Don't think so.

The last two years have not been great (particularly last year). But they did win the championship just 4 years ago. They played in the sweet 16 in 2019 (won the conference regular season that year too). I realize for some tarhole fans that does feel like they have really "fallen off" and the expectations are high.

Last edited:
Who knows. Guess the story could have some legs. See Kessler hit the portal today. Story said it was following an emotional meeting yesterday between Roy, himself and his dad. And it mentioned how much he loved UNC, the program, etc. But that this was a basketball decision.

if only we had hired wes we'd be in the final four already this year

The last two years have not been great (particularly last year). But they did win the championship just 4 years ago. They played in the sweet 16 in 2019 (won the conference regular season that year too). I realize for tarhole fans that does feel like they have really "fallen off" and the expectations are high.

It’s definitely all relative but it looks like a few years and a lot of effort to get back to title contention from where they are now. Recruiting hasn’t been as good. Just seems like a hard road at that age with really nothing to prove. Unlike K it does seem that Roy wants to have some life outside of basketball.

On the Heel Board, there are rumblings that Bacot is leaving.

Who knows. Guess the story could have some legs. See Kessler hit the portal today. Story said it was following an emotional meeting yesterday between Roy, himself and his dad. And it mentioned how much he loved UNC, the program, etc. But that this was a basketball decision.

The account of that meeting sounds like bullshit to me, but whatever. Doesn't matter.

The story is that the younger players (and their parents) felt Roy favored/gave too many minutes to older players (Platek, Leaky Black, Garrison Brooks) over better younger players. Kessler may not be the last of the freshman/sophomores to leave.

DR will be pulling hard for his boy, Wes. Don't think so.

I think HOF Wes might have a good chance. I think Stack might have been the target, but he has Danny-level sucked at Vandy. Hubert Davis is on the very short list.

Will Pitino change his mind about not wanting to coach in the big time?

Before we get too excited, this could be Royboy blowing off some frustration.

1574109026Matt_Doherty_Twitter_400x400.jpg

I think HOF Wes might have a good chance. I think Stack might have been the target, but he has Danny-level sucked at Vandy. Hubert Davis is on the very short list.

Will Pitino change his mind about not wanting to coach in the big time?

Before we get too excited, this could be Royboy blowing off some frustration.

he does

top candidates would be Hubert Davis and Wes

although i do wonder if brad stevens is actually considering indiana, he might wait to see if the unc gig opens up. and that would be awful.

he does

top candidates would be Hubert Davis and Wes

although i do wonder if brad stevens is actually considering indiana, he might wait to see if the unc gig opens up. and that would be awful.

I don't think Brad Stevens is going to leave the NBA for Indiana or UNC unless he's fired and no one else wants to hire him. You typically don't demote yourself back to college unless you're woefully unsuccessful like Pitino or Callipari.

My UNC fan friend points out to me that Ol' Roy just signed an extension in 2018 that takes him to 2028.

That being said, signing an extension doesn't stop him from retiring before that contract is up.

The story is that the younger players (and their parents) felt Roy favored/gave too many minutes to older players (Platek, Leaky Black, Garrison Brooks) over better younger players. Kessler may not be the last of the freshman/sophomores to leave.

And they are correct.

God god if that’s true then I truly dont get kids. If he loves Carolina and he is the only player over 6’ 7” returning other than a guy who has basically never seen thr floor and never will (Manley). And it’s ACC and a blueblood at that - what exactly is the kid looking for?

Back