• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Roy Williams retiring?

RE: Oats

"His buyout will also increase to over $10 million over the next two years."

If Oats takes over at UNC after two years at Alabama, I will no longer be sad that we didn't hire him. Because he wouldn't have stayed long at Wake Forest, either.

Good point.

I don’t see how you fail as a UNC head coach. So many crazy built-in advantages.

If Oats takes over at UNC after two years at Alabama, I will no longer be sad that we didn't hire him. Because he wouldn't have stayed long at Wake Forest, either.

If he were leaving it would be because he got us back to being relevant. Hard to call that a bad thing from where we sit (and I think Forbes will do it).

Two threads on this is too much for my tiny brain to handle.

I vote to keep it on the carousel. I also know that what I think doesn't matter to anyone.

Says the guy who started a roster construction thread that now forces me to check it and the recruiting thread for bball personnel info ;)

Just kidding, all good, always appreciate everybody’s info. It’s like an escape from real life.

If he were leaving it would be because he got us back to being relevant. Hard to call that a bad thing from where we sit (and I think Forbes will do it).

Right... But then you have to make another strong hire and also hope to keep the roster together. Good luck.

If Oats left Alabama, I doubt the next guy would keep them at the same level.

Says the guy who started a roster construction thread that now forces me to check it and the recruiting thread for bball personnel info ;)

Just kidding, all good, always appreciate everybody’s info. It’s like an escape from real life.

One thread for recruiting high school players.
One thread for transfers in and out.

IT MAKES PERFECT SENSE!!!

But yeah, I am a stooge. I get it.

Stackhouse's name is getting some run on the UNC Boards. Would love that.

He's been a complete disaster at Vandy, and he's had talent in Nash Vegas to be at least decent. Maybe Stack would improve over time, but Stackhouse at UNC has the potential to be a re-run of the Matt Doherty at UNC debacle.

You ignore that Stack had Vandy playing pretty well by season's end and won a tournament game. I think that UNC needs to hire a black coach and would recommend Hubert Davis. How do we know that Hubert wouldn't be any good? BTW, Roy won his first title with Doh's players.

One thread for recruiting high school players.
One thread for transfers in and out.

IT MAKES PERFECT SENSE!!!

But yeah, I am a stooge. I get it.

Nah, it’s a really helpful thread.

But that says it all about basketball these days. You’re basically now recruiting on two fronts, the high school students and these scores of transfers.

Back to the subject at hand, this news will certainly be interesting for the transfer situation of a number of players, as has been noted.

I think that UNC needs to hire a black coach and would recommend Hubert Davis. How do we know that Hubert wouldn't be any good?

It’s UNC...I doubt their threshold is “how do we know this guy isn’t any good”

You ignore that Stack had Vandy playing pretty well by season's end and won a tournament game. I think that UNC needs to hire a black coach and would recommend Hubert Davis. How do we know that Hubert wouldn't be any good? BTW, Roy won his first title with Doh's players.

They had a better season than Wake Forest, for sure... But seems wrong to tout the end of the season as a success when all they did was beat Ole Miss at home (also lost to them on the road), beat a shitty Cincy team on the road, and then beat a shitty A&M team in the SEC tourney.

But yeah, they weren't AS terrible at the end of the year.

Let's give him the UNC job!

They had a better season than Wake Forest, for sure... But seems wrong to tout the end of the season as a success when all they did was beat Ole Miss at home (also lost to them on the road), beat a shitty Cincy team on the road, and then beat a shitty A&M team in the SEC tourney.

But yeah, they weren't AS terrible at the end of the year.

Let's give him the UNC job!

I don't think Stack will get the job. But Vandy played Bama to 4 point loss on the road and he certainly he had the team on the upswing by season's end. Wake, by contrast, was on the down slope.

Dean Smith had less experience than Hubert wheb Aycock hired him. Hubert has paid his dues. Does he need to coach VMI to prove his worth?

Last edited:
Stack gave one of the worst auditions ever. He didn't even have to be good. If he had been .500, he would have been the frontrunner.

Roy Williams just retired. Coach K turned 74 in February. Wake just hired an energetic new coach (I refuse to count the 2020-21 season). The tide is slow but I think the tide is turning!

Agree that there will be pressure on UNC to seriously consider Stack and Hubert. Maybe either one would be great as UNC's coach, but Hubert has no track record, and Stack is now getting credit for beating a terrible A&M team and keeping it close against Bama as a ground to give him the keys to a top 5 program?

Vandy has had talent on the roster (Scottie Pippin Jr. will play in the NBA; Saben Lee is in the NBA; Aaron Nesmith is in the NBA), and Vandy finished DFL in the SEC each of the last two years. 6-28 in the SEC. That looks a lot like Danny Manning rather than the next Dean Smith to me.

Agree that there will be pressure on UNC to seriously consider Stack and Hubert. Maybe either one would be great as UNC's coach, but Hubert has no track record, and Stack is now getting credit for beating a terrible A&M team and keeping it close against Bama as a ground to give him the keys to a top 5 program?

Vandy has had talent on the roster (Scottie Pippin Jr. will play in the NBA; Saben Lee is in the NBA; Aaron Nesmith is in the NBA), and Vandy finished DFL in the SEC each of the last two years. 6-28 in the SEC. That looks a lot like Danny Manning rather than the next Dean Smith to me.

Both would most likely be horrible hires. I would love to see that.

I would be surprised if UNC could not do any better than hiring Hubert Davis unless Roy pulled a Dean and told the AD who he wanted to follow him. I don't think Stevens is leaving Boston but I could see it being Donovan or Oats.

I mean, I'd take two years of Oats and a sweet 16 after the dumpster fire we've had.

Back