• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Roy Williams retiring?

I don't know if it's better to see UNC fans embrace their own to their own detriment or eventually turn on their own. Both are pretty sweet.

Nate Oats will be equally available to UNC in three years when Davis or Miller fail.

Nate Oats will be equally available to UNC in three years when Davis or Miller fail.

I have a feeling Miller wouldn't fail. Big time ties, players like him, and has the resources of a blue blood. Not to mention seems to be a really good coach.

I have a feeling Miller wouldn't fail. Big time ties, players like him, and has the resources of a blue blood. Not to mention seems to be a really good coach.

Sure, maybe. But if he does fail, Oats, Donovan, Wright will all be equally available in a couple years time for UNC. If they don't get their hall of fame coach this hire, they will get them next time. Doherty was only a three year set back for them before they scored KU's coach. The last time UNC hired a coach they took another Blue Blood's coach. They can and will get whoever they want. I am not going to stress about it. If nothing else, the greatest thing about Odom and Prosser as LOWF coaches, is they didn't give a fuck who they were coaching against. Those two stood toe to toe with Dean Smith, K, Gary Williams, etc. and they weren't scared. I think, Forbes has that kind of confidence and I think he will have us competing with UNC regardless of who their coach is.

Roy's only HC experience was at a HS.

Deano had no HC experience before taking the job.

What's your point? Dean Smith was hired when black players weren't allowed to play in the ACC. Are you really claiming that the Dean Smith hire 60 years ago is in any way relevant to Hubert Davis' ability to coach in 2021?

KS hired Roy Williams 38 years ago, after KS was caught violating NCAA rules and they were banned from the NCAA tournament. It was a rebuild after Larry Brown won a Natty, but left the team to suffer the consequences. Williams was hired because he had pristine reputation, and was the most respected assistant in the country at that point. If you want to claim that it's a good idea to hire a coach with zero head coaching experience, we can dig a 1,000 posts from you stressing the importance of Power V head coaching experience when you opposed Wes Miller's candidacy.

Who knows how good or bad Hubert Davis would be as a coach? That said, it's completely valid to think it would be poor judgement to let someone who had never run any D1 program to run a top 5 program.

What's your point? Dean Smith was hired when black players weren't allowed to play in the ACC. Are you really claiming that the Dean Smith hire 60 years ago is in any way relevant to Hubert Davis' ability to coach in 2021?

KS hired Roy Williams 38 years ago, after KS was caught violating NCAA rules and they were banned from the NCAA tournament. It was a rebuild after Larry Brown won a Natty, but left the team to suffer the consequences. Williams was hired because he had pristine reputation, and was the most respected assistant in the country at that point. If you want to claim that it's a good idea to hire a coach with zero head coaching experience, we can dig a 1,000 posts from you stressing the importance of Power V head coaching experience when you opposed Wes Miller's candidacy.

Who knows how good or bad Hubert Davis would be as a coach? That said, it's completely valid to think it would be poor judgement to let someone who had never run any D1 program to run a top 5 program.

You guys only value experience if you like the candidate. Hubert is 50 so it is now or never for him. You don't think playing NBA for various coaches is a great learning experience. Juwan Howard turned out pretty well. You don't need to be a great in-game coach at UNC. 'Ol Roy certainly proved that. Just keep the 4-5 star recruits coming and manage the program.

Being a head coach in the Southern Conference is akin to managing in the baseball minors. Miller looks like a great prospect for the power five but, as with Davis, who really knows. Mike Young turned out great for Va Tech, but everybody expected him to succeed. And Danny Manning would have won 25 game at East Tennessee with Forbes' schedule and talent.

I guess I’m just supposed to let go years of personal attacks telling me I was a buffoon to think Wes Miller would ever be even a candidate for the Wake Forest job let alone the UNC job.

I’d like to pull some of those up. Maybe I will when I get bored one day.

And Danny Manning would have won 25 game at East Tennessee with Forbes' schedule and talent.

Oh boy. I like this guy. This thread will be so much better with more hot takes from Donnie and Doug.

:popcorn::popcorn:

You should be more than bored living in that shithole Greensboro that you think is a bastion of entertainment, culture, and Hall of Fame basketball coaches! :rofl:

JESUS, you need to get the stick out of your ass.

I directly stated two facts that are indisputable. Which is all I did.

Everything that you added is extraneous and totally irrelevant. Sadly, you won't admit this. You'll come up with an excuse to blame me for your arrogant immateriality. Rather than simply saying, "I was wrong to add what I did. It has nothing to to do what RJ posted."

Let it go, RJ. This is you making this about you. Pointing out that examples are 38 and 60 years old is not irrelevant.

I guess I’m just supposed to let go years of personal attacks telling me I was a buffoon to think Wes Miller would ever be even a candidate for the Wake Forest job let alone the UNC job.

What jobs has he been a candidate for that he didn’t have a personnel connection to? Name names.

Let it go, RJ. This is you making this about you. Pointing out that examples are 38 and 60 years old is not irrelevant.

They have only changed coaches four times in that period. What they did in half of them is relevant.

Pilch made it about me, but that's OK. But I can't respond to him doing so with "making it about you (me)". What a bizarre position!

"If you want to claim that it's a good idea to hire a coach with zero head coaching experience, we can dig a 1,000 posts from you stressing the importance of Power V head coaching experience when you opposed Wes Miller's candidacy."

My bad, I am not allowed to respond to multiple sentences specifically directed at me. I have to let whatever anyone to say or add about my posts. GOT IT!

As an addendum: Bill Guthridge had no HC experience before becoming HC at UNC.

AGAIN, ALL I'm doing is responding to the person who commented about Hubert Davis' lack of HC experience.

THIS IS NOT MAKING A VALUE STATEMENT. It's simply stating a fact like saying "today is Thursday".

Last edited:
And Tuscaloosa is the shithole of the universe, and basketball will always play second fiddle to football. Oats can fuckin' coach, so I hope he doesn't wind up in CH.

Yes, in all regards

I’m willing to admit I was wrong. I thought people would get laughed at for suggesting Wes Miller was a real candidate for UNC.

But it seems pretty clear that he’s at least on the list.

I really hope they hire Hubert Davis. He might be good, but he’s much more of a question mark due to his lack of HC experience.

I didn’t think Miller could get hired at UNC... But I do think he’ll be at least relatively successful if he is.

He’s only on the list for the same reason Stackhouse is on the list with a 20-37 record. There aren’t many Carolina guys who are college head coaches and we know they want to keep it in the family.

That’s why I’m curious. I’ve never seen Wes mentioned for any high major jobs where he didn’t have a connection (Wake and UNC).

Does this include offers received or just rumored to be in mix. 🤣🤣

Both.

Back