• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Roy Williams retiring?

Alternate take: UNC is that much better of a job than Indiana

“But I’m not a kid anymore. I’m a 44-year-old Masshole,” Stevens added. “I swerve around others when I’m driving. I eat Dunkin’ Donuts and I root for the Patriots. I’ve unfortunately been skewed in a lot of ways, I guess.”

What is the ranking of the best coaching jobs in the US? Is it:

1. UK
2. UNC
3. KU
4. Duke

?

I really hope the Carolina Way wins out on this coaching decision

He is sucking this year despite having two all-stars and with a recently improved roster, so if he were to go it's because he knows he's not keeping his job.

IMO, there's no more "prestigious" coaching job than head coach of the Boston Celtics, the all-time co-leader in NBA titles (I would also argue that being the star player of the Lakers is more prestigious than the head coach in that franchise).

It's really surprising that UNC has no interest in Oates. You'd think he would be preferable to Davis or Miller, but I know it's all about keeping it in the family. But from all I've heard, he isn't on the list of preferred candidates.

Oates signed an extension in Feb or March. I'd guess the buyout is extremely onerous at this point.

He is sucking this year despite having two all-stars and with a recently improved roster, so if he were to go it's because he knows he's not keeping his job.

IMO, there's no more "prestigious" coaching job than head coach of the Boston Celtics, the all-time co-leader in NBA titles (I would also argue that being the star player of the Lakers is more prestigious than the head coach in that franchise).

Improved roster? Two of his best players over the last two seasons are two of the best players for the Hornets. Stevens is fine where he is. Ainge is the one who should be worried.

I guess Carolina fans want dirty in the “Carolina Way.” That’s dirty but knowing how to seem clean.

Improved roster? Two of his best players over the last two seasons are two of the best players for the Hornets. Stevens is fine where he is. Ainge is the one who should be worried.

I guess Carolina fans want dirty in the “Carolina Way.” That’s dirty but knowing how to seem clean.

Correct. Their hypocrisy knows no bounds.

And I’ll put up good money that Brad Steven’s is not a coach at any college in the next 5 years. Even if he is let go in Boston, he’ll have a list of Other NBA teams that want him.

Apparently so.

1. UK
2. UNC
3. KU
4. Duke

?

Yes. Hubert Davis please.

Is Duke #4? Is the current success sustainable after K leaves?

I’m biased but I think the consistent strength of NC talent makes UNC the top job and elevated other NC jobs as well.

1. UK
2. UNC
3. KU
4. Duke

?

It’ll vary depending what’s important to a particular candidate but I think Kansas is a clear #4.

1. UNC
2. Duke
3. Kentucky
4. Kansas

I'm trying to separate the current (or most recent, in the case of UNC) coach from the job itself, which is hard to do, especially for Duke, but I think KU is above Duke

I think UCLA is pretty high given its history and location, Texas is pretty good given its overall AD resources

seems like UK may have the best facilities, though Oregon is pretty nuts if I remember correctly

Yep. The University of Nike, 'er Oregon, has awesome facilities.... and plenty of uni combinations.

It’s not that UNC thinks Oats is dirty. But he’s not anywhere near a sure thing in terms of success. The Tier 1 group I mentioned is. If they don’t get Tier 1 then they will go in the family for sure and out of that group it’s Hubert for sure. Bubba thinks Oats is really no more a sure bet than Hubert and given that, he stays inside UNC family. I still think it probably will be Hubert. But I’m just deducing that on my own.

Back