Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81314151617181920 LastLast
Results 341 to 360 of 389

Thread: Roy Williams retiring?

  1. #341
    It's Hubie. Just too much support from the UNC community- Roy, plays, ex players and on and on.

  2. #342
    Excellent choice. Knew that Billy D, Brad Stevens, Jay Wright, Mark Few, etc. weren't going anywhere.

    Congrats to Hubert for making history. I can't wait for Steve Forbes to kick his ass twice a year.

  3. #343
    Quote Originally Posted by BiffTannen View Post
    Why would Miller take a job as an assistant ? If Davis succeeds he'll be an assistant forever. If Davis fails, he wouldn't be the guy to replace him.
    Wes would make almost 4 times what he makes now.

  4. #344
    Rusty Larue
    DeaconSig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    God's Country
    Posts
    11,332
    Wes should take the assistant's job. There is no evidence any other schools other than UNCG want him at this point.

  5. #345
    now we need coach k to be replaced by jon scheyer and shit will get REAL

  6. #346
    Wonder what Donnie Greensboro is doing right now!

  7. #347
    Quote Originally Posted by DeaconSig View Post
    Wes should take the assistant's job. There is no evidence any other schools other than UNCG want him at this point.
    I get trying to poke DR, but that's not true. Wes was the runner up for WF and probably UNC too. He's going to get a Power Conference job. Do think that Wes was less open to going all out for other more distant Power Conference jobs in recent years with the thought that WF and UNC were going to come open.

    FWIW, if I was Davis, I would not want Wes on my staff: a) Wes clearly does not want to be lifetime assistant (not good mojo to have your top assistant after your job); b) if UNC succeeds, people will inevitably claim that Wes is pulling the strings; c) Davis should pick his staff, not the UNC AD (among the other flaws in the Bz hire was Wellman's idea that he should pick the staff). That said, if UNC's offer to Davis is contingent on Wes as an assistant, you got to do what you got to do.

  8. #348
    I'm betting Miller turned down the job because the Dean Dome is just too damn big and he knows he needs a small on-campus arena to succeed, like the Greensboro Coliseum Complex.

  9. #349
    Quote Originally Posted by guitardeac View Post
    Wes would make almost 4 times what he makes now.
    Wes does not need the money. Going from HC to an assistant is a demotion, no way he does that.

  10. #350
    Rusty Larue
    DeaconSig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    God's Country
    Posts
    11,332
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilchard View Post
    I get trying to poke DR, but that's not true. Wes was the runner up for WF and probably UNC too. He's going to get a Power Conference job. Do think that Wes was less open to going all out for other more distant Power Conference jobs in recent years with the thought that WF and UNC were going to come open.

    FWIW, if I was Davis, I would not want Wes on my staff: a) Wes clearly does not want to be lifetime assistant (not good mojo to have your top assistant after your job); b) if UNC succeeds, people will inevitably claim that Wes is pulling the strings; c) Davis should pick his staff, not the UNC AD (among the other flaws in the Bz hire was Wellman's idea that he should pick the staff). That said, if UNC's offer to Davis is contingent on Wes as an assistant, you got to do what you got to do.
    If you get I was trying to poke DR, then the remainder of your post was irrelevant. Not untrue, mind you, but irrelevant.

  11. #351
    Primary OGB Benefactor
    BiffTannen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Hill Valley
    Posts
    39,972
    My point is that if Hubert gets fired for going 19-12 for three straight years with Miller on his bench, Miller's not getting promoted to head coach. However, if Hubert goes 34-3 and wins the NC every four years, Miller's not getting hired until Hubert steps down at age 72 and he's 60 years old.

    I suppose you could argue that becoming the lead assistant at UNC-CH is a better job than head coach at UNC-G because you might be better able to get a P5 job directly from the UNC-CH position, kind of like Chris Collins and Wojo. But that's not the same as getting the job at UNC-CH.

    Either way, it's not happening. Miller's not taking the job as assistant coach for a guy with less head coaching experience who just got hired ahead of him. I don't care what it pays.

  12. #352
    Quote Originally Posted by BiffTannen View Post
    Why would Miller take a job as an assistant ? If Davis succeeds he'll be an assistant forever. If Davis fails, he wouldn't be the guy to replace him.
    $$$$ What's he making at UNCG, like $2-400K? Triple that to be Hubert's assistant and be the successor when he retires if all goes well. I'm hoping Wes stays where he is.

  13. #353
    Quote Originally Posted by MichDeac25 View Post
    I'm betting Miller turned down the job because the Dean Dome is just too damn big and he knows he needs a small on-campus arena to succeed, like the Greensboro Coliseum Complex.
    Maybe he could take some curtains to Chapel Hill with him?

  14. #354
    Quote Originally Posted by BiffTannen View Post
    My point is that if Hubert gets fired for going 19-12 for three straight years with Miller on his bench, Miller's not getting promoted to head coach. However, if Hubert goes 34-3 and wins the NC every four years, Miller's not getting hired until Hubert steps down at age 72 and he's 60 years old.

    I suppose you could argue that becoming the lead assistant at UNC-CH is a better job than head coach at UNC-G because you might be better able to get a P5 job directly from the UNC-CH position, kind of like Chris Collins and Wojo. But that's not the same as getting the job at UNC-CH.

    Either way, it's not happening. Miller's not taking the job as assistant coach for a guy with less head coaching experience who just got hired ahead of him. I don't care what it pays.
    Yes, Miller's not getting the UNC job, unless Hubert has an "accident". The question for Miller is whether he feels he is more likely to get a better head coaching offer if he remains at UNCG or if goes to UNC as the top assistant, and they win big. Well, the other question is the money, but IIRC, money isn't really an object for the Miller family.

  15. #355
    A turnip could recruit decent players to UNC, and Roy wasn't that great of a bench coach. I thought Hubert was good on ESPN, and he'll relate well to players, their families, the fanbase & media. Williams' "ol' Roy ain't that good" shtick was wearing thin, and he loved to play that false modesty thing, but watch out if some reporter call-in fan to his radio show disagreed with him (i.e. agreed with his "I'm not that good/I need to coach these guys better" take).
    Yes this is not a slam-dunk hire, but OTOH Hubert could be really good for a really long time.

  16. #356
    Primary OGB Benefactor
    BiffTannen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Hill Valley
    Posts
    39,972
    Quote Originally Posted by cville deac View Post
    $$$$ What's he making at UNCG, like $2-400K? Triple that to be Hubert's assistant and be the successor when he retires if all goes well. I'm hoping Wes stays where he is.
    Davis is only 50 years old and Wes is 38. Do you really expect Wes to agree to sit next to Hubert for 15-20 years on the promise that he can take over in 2040 when he's in his late-50's ?

  17. #357
    Quote Originally Posted by DeaconSig View Post
    Wes should take the assistant's job. There is no evidence any other schools other than UNCG want him at this point.
    Their loss!

  18. #358
    Quote Originally Posted by DownEastDeac View Post
    A turnip could recruit decent players to UNC, and Roy wasn't that great of a bench coach. I thought Hubert was good on ESPN, and he'll relate well to players, their families, the fanbase & media. Williams' "ol' Roy ain't that good" shtick was wearing thin, and he loved to play that false modesty thing, but watch out if some reporter call-in fan to his radio show disagreed with him (i.e. agreed with his "I'm not that good/I need to coach these guys better" take).
    Yes this is not a slam-dunk hire, but OTOH Hubert could be really good for a really long time.
    Coaching is "easier" at UNC or other blue blood schools, but it's not easy anywhere. Look at this past year, KY, Duke, Michigan State and to an extent Kansas all struggled. UNC sucked last year. The idea that any program can run on auto-pilot is wrong.

  19. #359
    Steve Lepore
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    all around town
    Posts
    2,438
    Wes and his family have money. Tripling his salary is nice, but it's not like he needs to get it. The money will be there at his next head coaching gig.

  20. #360
    Quote Originally Posted by tvcigar View Post
    Wes and his family have money. Tripling his salary is nice, but it's not like he needs to get it. The money will be there at his next head coaching gig.
    Good, hope he stays.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •