• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Roy Williams retiring?

Mack Brown just got an extension. It’s a football school now.

State fan here- Not gonna happen. Roy owned Raleigh, and will until he strokes out. I'm counting 2 maybe three more Raleigh embarrassments in the future.

God god if that’s true then I truly dont get kids. If he loves Carolina and he is the only player over 6’ 7” returning other than a guy who has basically never seen thr floor and never will (Manley). And it’s ACC and a blueblood at that - what exactly is the kid looking for?

You never know what their family is saying in their ears. For some kids, college is just about getting to the pros. It isn't about winning a title. From all I have read, Kessler wanted to play more of a stretch 4/5 and pop threes like centers do in the NBA, and Roy wasn't interested in him doing that. It's possible his family decided he would be better off at a school where he could do what he wanted.

State fan here- Not gonna happen. Roy owned Raleigh, and will until he strokes out. I'm counting 2 maybe three more Raleigh embarrassments in the future.

My family tree is dominated by Wake and NCSU grads. Our family get-togethers usually devolve into a conversation about which is more painful: our "LOWF" or your #ncstateshit. Both fan bases are convinced that "our reality is worse than yours".

Two of the best articles I read this year dealt with Kessler's official visit to UNC and Roy's taking over at Kansas. I didn't realize how much KU had to be sold on Roy. Whether he will stick his neck out for HOF Wes the way Dean did for him will be interesting to see.

he does

top candidates would be Hubert Davis and Wes

although i do wonder if brad stevens is actually considering indiana, he might wait to see if the unc gig opens up. and that would be awful.

I'm more worried about Stevens to Duke in a year or two.

Carolina won 3 under 'Ol Roy. Pretty impressive. I think, however, that he recruits using Lindy's basketball magazine.

Vandy really improved under Stack late in season. My guess is Hubert Davis gets first call if Roy decides to play golf full time.

Jerry Stackhouse is a serious candidate? I thought he was flaming out and going back and forth with fans on Twitter or something.

Jerry Stackhouse is a serious candidate? I thought he was flaming out and going back and forth with fans on Twitter or something.

He’s absolutely not a serious candidate and will likely be fired from Vanderbilt before long.

This would make a lot of sense. They won't be that good next year and have zero Top 30 players coming in next fall. On top of those factors, in a year or two the NBA CBA will change for HSers and he'd have to start recruiting rather than choosing.

And we know he doesn't give a shit about Carolina.

ETA: Shit, juice beat me to it

Last edited:
he does

top candidates would be Hubert Davis and Wes

although i do wonder if brad stevens is actually considering indiana, he might wait to see if the unc gig opens up. and that would be awful.

I don't see Davis as having the chops to succeed at UNC, he strikes me as the next Doherty who will also be out of his depth, perhaps without the temper. Wes Miller might work, although there's no guarantee that he will be able to elevate his coaching to succeed in the ACC and UNC the way he has at UNCG, which has far lower expectations and fan pressure. There's been a lot of grumbling from UNC fans about Roy for the past couple of years, and not without reason, but if they don't make the right hire they may easily regret it in a few years. And this time there is no Roy Williams waiting in the wings to bail them out, as happened with Doherty. Given all the changes happening in college basketball, they might well find themselves becoming the next Indiana instead of quickly returning to what they're used to and feel entitled to expect.

God god if that’s true then I truly dont get kids. If he loves Carolina and he is the only player over 6’ 7” returning other than a guy who has basically never seen thr floor and never will (Manley). And it’s ACC and a blueblood at that - what exactly is the kid looking for?

How do you know who's returning? Maybe Kessler knows something we don't about the status of Sharpe, Brooks and Bacot. As in...if at least 2 are returning, he's out.

Rasheed is coaching kids now. He would probably do it.

Antwan Jamison spent three years as a TV analyst and is now in his fifth year working in an NAB front office role (2 with Lakers, 3 with the Wizards) - I wouldn't be surprised if he gets an interview .

Antwan Jamison spent three years as a TV analyst and is now in his fifth year working in an NAB front office role (2 with Lakers, 3 with the Wizards) - I wouldn't be surprised if he gets an interview .

I would. Those are two very different skillsets from the one required to take over a blue blood basketball program.

UNC is not going to hand the program over to an unproven coach.

If and when Roy hangs it up, I suspect you'll hear names like Beard & Oats... Not Stackhouse & Wallace.

UNC is not going to hand the program over to an unproven coach.

If and when Roy hangs it up, I suspect you'll hear names like Beard & Oats... Not Stackhouse & Wallace.

Yep. Sheed and Stack or Hubert Davis is wishful thinking.

Back