• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Roy Williams retiring?

Not only that, but the high school he coaches at is only 5 miles from UNC's campus.

We were gonna be at one of the same jamborees pre-covid last summer, and I was praying that we got matched up against each other just for the story.

And yeah, more Carolina defections are forthcoming.

UNC has been blasted at the end of each of the the last 4 seasons:
2018: lost to a middling A&M by 21 - 2nd round
2019: blown out by a great Auburn team by 17 - sweet 16
2020: ended a last place ACC season with a horrible loss to a bad Syracuse team by 30 before the covid shutdown - Wednesday of ACCT
2021: blown out by another middling Wisconsin team by 23 - first round

This is a new age of UNC basketball right here. Sure they have a title in 2017, but that slips further and further away when you consider the pounding they have been taking in March. UNC has never been handled like that in the postseason. If Bacot and Love also leave, Roy will need to scramble to grab transfers, just like the other schools. Roy can't hide and keep his young players anymore as he plays Black, Platek, Brooks in front of them. He also can't run his fast break offense with average guards. Also, UNC has joined Duke and Kentucky now in the one and done point guard game. I just can't see Roy enjoying fiddling with transfers or having the health and energy for more rebuilds. He looks old, weak, and I am sure he just wants to play golf. The age-old rap on Roy is that he can't win without elite talent (only coached at Kansas and UNC).....I think that is as true now as ever.

If Forbes can right this ship, quickly, Wake can make a move on the Duke and UNC.......but the ship is still turtled.

...for the third time in 25 years

(I agree with you...but they did it twice last time)

Handing the program to Guthridge after Dean Smith was a little bit of a different situation. That was never intended to be a long-term solution.

But yeah, hiring Matt Doherty was clearly a terrible decision. I don't think they'll make a mistake like that again.

UNC is not going to hand the program over to an unproven coach.

If and when Roy hangs it up, I suspect you'll hear names like Beard & Oats... Not Stackhouse & Wallace.

UNC needs to do it now so Billy D doesn't become their next coach, but given that the Bulls are better than expected I shouldn't worry about that.

Hoping they make the "needs to be a Carolina man" mistake again, but I think that was all to justify getting Roy to leave Kansas.

...for the third time in 25 years

(I agree with you...but they did it twice last time)

One big difference is that Dean Smith is dead now. I don't image the desire to "keep it in the family" is as strong without his influence.

yeah I was about to ask, what is the fanbase's thoughts on Carolina man vs best available?

I'm more worried about Stevens to Duke in a year or two.

This is totally going to happen and the media is going to forget all the "he'd never go back to college" bullshit they've been saying this past week.

I mean, Roy's been there for 18 years... His "coaching tree" sucks and that's going to make it very difficult to keep it in the family. Anyone that pre-dates Roy and goes back to Dean Smith is either too old or dead.

williams+tree.PNG

That's going to make it almost a certainty that they venture outside of UNC for the next hire, IMO.

I mean, Roy's been there for 18 years... His "coaching tree" sucks and that's going to make it very difficult to keep it in the family. Anyone that pre-dates Roy and goes back to Dean Smith is either too old or dead.

williams+tree.PNG

That's going to make it almost a certainty that they venture outside of UNC for the next hire, IMO.

Did you make that graphic yourself with a template? That's so cute.

Impressive chart.

Incredible how awful some of those branches are.

CB McGrath took over UNCW from Keatts (who kicked ass), and ran UNCW straight into the ground. They're trying to recover now after McGrath was fired in the middle of last season.

Jerod Haase has been at Stanford for 5 years: zero NCAA tournament bids

Mark Turgeon has been ok at MD, but that once proud program has one Sweet 16 appearance in the last 10 years. Fan base is grumbling.

Prioleau at SJ State is in the running for the worst coach in the country over the last 4 years. 20-93 (8-62). Last or 2nd to last in the 11 team Mountain West every year. You don't need to hire a coach and be that bad. WF's Dick Wash has been their leading scorer the last two years.

Denver fired Rodney Billups (Chauncey's bro) this past year. That program has fallen off a cliff 9-43 (4-26) over the last two season.

Boyle and Smith are both excellent coaches, but man, that is as wretched a coaching tree as you will see.

UNC has been blasted at the end of each of the the last 4 seasons:
2018: lost to a middling A&M by 21 - 2nd round
2019: blown out by a great Auburn team by 17 - sweet 16
2020: ended a last place ACC season with a horrible loss to a bad Syracuse team by 30 before the covid shutdown - Wednesday of ACCT
2021: blown out by another middling Wisconsin team by 23 - first round

This is a new age of UNC basketball right here. Sure they have a title in 2017, but that slips further and further away when you consider the pounding they have been taking in March. UNC has never been handled like that in the postseason. If Bacot and Love also leave, Roy will need to scramble to grab transfers, just like the other schools. Roy can't hide and keep his young players anymore as he plays Black, Platek, Brooks in front of them. He also can't run his fast break offense with average guards. Also, UNC has joined Duke and Kentucky now in the one and done point guard game. I just can't see Roy enjoying fiddling with transfers or having the health and energy for more rebuilds. He looks old, weak, and I am sure he just wants to play golf. The age-old rap on Roy is that he can't win without elite talent (only coached at Kansas and UNC).....I think that is as true now as ever.

If Forbes can right this ship, quickly, Wake can make a move on the Duke and UNC.......but the ship is still turtled.

There’s a reason why, when a kid is drawing a picture of a face and wants to show tears coming out of its eyes, the color they reach for is light blue.

(This is about all the smack talk I can presently muster for a program that is on the mild decline, yet still had a championship within the last decade, while we’re still reeling from hiring Dumb and Dumber.)

UNC should hire whoever coached a mid-major team that beat them by 30+ in the last few years and the AD happens to be friends with from decades ago when they were both assistant coaches at North Western.

I'd be curious to see some data on the success of hiring alumni as coaches vs. non-alumni

gut instinct says a higher flameout rate, especially for coaches that make a bigger leap in station early in their career due to their alumni status

UNC needs to do it now so Billy D doesn't become their next coach, but given that the Bulls are better than expected I shouldn't worry about that.

Hoping they make the "needs to be a Carolina man" mistake again, but I think that was all to justify getting Roy to leave Kansas.

they can have Billy

Is there any info that Stevens would want to coach at Duke or so we just assume he would because he’s a clean cut white guy?

just speculation based on the fact that he may not be long for the pros and that Duke is (probably) the highest paying college job out there right now

edit: it's #2 behind Cal at UK

man, I know this has been said before...but we have a perfect storm of opportunity in front of us and thank god we have STeve Forbes running the show now instead of the Mannequin. Duke and UNC are as vulnerable as they have been in ages with coaches that have one foot in retirement. Pitino is gone and suddenly UL looks vulnerable. Syracuse is still tough but Boeheim ain't getting any younger or more energetic. NC state appears to be stuck in neutral. Plus, due to the covid transfer situation, you have a one time only (?) chance to completely make over your roster with players with D1 experience. STeve Forbes has a golden opportunity sitting right in front of him. I think he can do it too. I sure hope so.

Back