• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Roy Williams retiring?

Did you make that graphic yourself with a template? That's so cute.

Stole it from a website that had a nice article on coaching trees... There are some good ones. Prosser's is actually not bad (Mack, Prosser, Kelsey, etc) compared to some others where you'd expect better branches.

Was posted in 2018, so I'm sure there have been some updates since then... But the broader point still stands on Roy Williams.

just speculation based on the fact that he may not be long for the pros and that Duke is (probably) the highest paying college job out there right now

edit: it's #2 behind Cal at UK

Why do you think Stevens is leaving Boston? He's made the playoffs every year but his first and made it to the Conference Finals 3 out of the last 4 seasons. I'm sure Boston would like to make it to the NBA Finals but that's the only thing missing on his resume.

man, I know this has been said before...but we have a perfect storm of opportunity in front of us and thank god we have STeve Forbes running the show now instead of the Mannequin. Duke and UNC are as vulnerable as they have been in ages with coaches that have one foot in retirement. Pitino is gone and suddenly UL looks vulnerable. Syracuse is still tough but Boeheim ain't getting any younger or more energetic. NC state appears to be stuck in neutral. Plus, due to the covid transfer situation, you have a one time only (?) chance to completely make over your roster with players with D1 experience. STeve Forbes has a golden opportunity sitting right in front of him. I think he can do it too. I sure hope so.

Agreed. Clear that the top 2 programs in the ACC right now are UVA and FSU. FSU is/was a football school with every little basketball following, even now despite recent success and a run of NBA players. UVA was dormant for almost 20 years. Shows what the right coach with a plan can do.

Stole it from a website that had a nice article on coaching trees... There are some good ones. Prosser's is actually not bad (Mack, Prosser, Kelsey, etc) compared to some others where you'd expect better branches.

Was posted in 2018, so I'm sure there have been some updates since then... But the broader point still stands on Roy Williams.

Isn't that the Gillen coaching tree ?

It looks like UNC likes Oats. Whether he would leave Alabama to go to UNC is another story, but you have to think he would given he will always play second fiddle to Saban at Alabama. I would be surprised if UNC tried to "keep it in the family" this time around. There isn't much of a pool to pull from. We saw what happened with Doherty (although he did recruit the 2005 championship team). Wes Miller could end up being very good, but he is even more unproven than Doherty was who at least had experience at ND.

I think Stevens is a long shot. He's been successful at Boston up until this season. No reason to fire him unless he has grown tired of the pros.

It looks like UNC likes Oats. Whether he would leave Alabama to go to UNC is another story, but you have to think he would given he will always play second fiddle to Saban at Alabama. I would be surprised if UNC tried to "keep it in the family" this time around. There isn't much of a pool to pull from. We saw what happened with Doherty (although he did recruit the 2005 championship team). Wes Miller could end up being very good, but he is even more unproven than Doherty was who at least had experience at ND.

I think Stevens is a long shot. He's been successful at Boston up until this season. No reason to fire him unless he has grown tired of the pros.

Oats to UNC would be bad. Scary how quickly he has turned Bama into a monster. Not only is he a great coach, but he found talent and recruited them to Buffalo. Then, found and recruited higher level talent to Bama. Don't like thinking about what he could do at UNC. Plus, WF fans were on Oats first...

Seems like the consensus here is that we'd like Roy to continue to coach another year or two before retiring so that we have time to get better before they hire someone that will rejuvenate the program.

Or that they make a bad hire... Which I feel is less likely.

Seems like the consensus here is that we'd like Roy to continue to coach another year or two before retiring so that we have time to get better before they hire someone that will rejuvenate the program.

Or that they make a bad hire... Which I feel is less likely.

Or hire Stackhouse...

Who are the others besides Oats and Stevens this board would least like to see them nab?

Who are the others besides Oats and Stevens this board would least like to see them nab?

I went through the Top 50 teams in KP this year... Those were the only 2 names (Beard & Oats) that I came up with that were truly scary and/or real possibilities.

But maybe some of the guys I think are untouchable might be interested. Few. Wright. Even then, that's about it.

Wright turned down KY and the Sixers. The story from Philly about KY included that his wife wasn't excited about moving to the south. He's got a job for life and is making big bucks.

Few turned down UCLA, the NBA and other jobs. He's happy at Gonzaga and did an interview about taking the happiness over the money.

Beard is a TX guy and "LUBBOCK, Texas (AP) — From the familiar feel of West Texas winds to being closer to his three daughters, Texas Tech basketball coach Chris Beard says returning to the school he considers home was too great to resist.

So goodbye Las Vegas, hello Lubbock.

"It's like when Bear Bryant left Texas A&M for Alabama," Beard said Saturday at a campus news conference. "He said, 'When momma calls, you've gotta go home.' Texas Tech is my momma and I'm home. I'm so glad to be here."

Beard bolted for Texas Tech a week after signing a five-year contract with UNLV. He called leaving Las Vegas a "difficult situation" but said, "I walked away with the utmost respect for the character and class of that university."

When was the last time UNC hired a coach with no ties to Chapel Hill? The 50s?

Why do you think Stevens is leaving Boston? He's made the playoffs every year but his first and made it to the Conference Finals 3 out of the last 4 seasons. I'm sure Boston would like to make it to the NBA Finals but that's the only thing missing on his resume.

I don't have a finger on the pulse of the Boston crowd, but there is some chatter that he's underperformed given the roster -- especially this year -- and that he's hit his ceiling

I think he's a good coach and it would be a bad idea for Boston to move on, but these decisions are high stakes in a multibillion dollar industry and not always made without emotion

UNC should hire whoever coached a mid-major team that beat them by 30+ in the last few years and the AD happens to be friends with from decades ago when they were both assistant coaches at North Western.

Shouldn't they hire Mack Brown? He could do better than most of Roy's coaching tree.

I'd be curious to see some data on the success of hiring alumni as coaches vs. non-alumni

gut instinct says a higher flameout rate, especially for coaches that make a bigger leap in station early in their career due to their alumni status

There also is probably a longer leash for alumni, as in a reluctance to fire a beloved alumni despite season after season of failure.

I still say that UNC simply didn't give Matt Doherty enough time!

they can have Billy

Let the Magic take him then damn. We don't want Billy D back in college.

Is there any info that Stevens would want to coach at Duke or so we just assume he would because he’s a clean cut white guy?

Nothing to do with race or looks. It's because Coach K has voiced approval for him ever since Gordon Hayward narrowly missed the halfcourt shot.

My fear has subsided though, because in the game of basketball, there is no job more prestigious from a historical standpoint than being head coach of the Boston Celtics (I'd argue that being the star player in LA is more prestigious than being the coach).

Still, if Stevens is going to pull a Basketball Saban, I fear it would be to dook.

Wright turned down KY and the Sixers. The story from Philly about KY included that his wife wasn't excited about moving to the south. He's got a job for life and is making big bucks.

Few turned down UCLA, the NBA and other jobs. He's happy at Gonzaga and did an interview about taking the happiness over the money.

Beard is a TX guy and "LUBBOCK, Texas (AP) — From the familiar feel of West Texas winds to being closer to his three daughters, Texas Tech basketball coach Chris Beard says returning to the school he considers home was too great to resist.

So goodbye Las Vegas, hello Lubbock.

"It's like when Bear Bryant left Texas A&M for Alabama," Beard said Saturday at a campus news conference. "He said, 'When momma calls, you've gotta go home.' Texas Tech is my momma and I'm home. I'm so glad to be here."

Beard bolted for Texas Tech a week after signing a five-year contract with UNLV. He called leaving Las Vegas a "difficult situation" but said, "I walked away with the utmost respect for the character and class of that university."

When was the last time UNC hired a coach with no ties to Chapel Hill? The 50s?

Have you ever been to West Texas? Because nobody is really a Lubbock guy.

Back