• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Roy Williams retiring?

Oats staying at Bama instead of taking a top 3 job in the country is a fantasy.

Do you think UNC would pony up enough money for a first year buyout for a guy with no ties to Chapel Hill and pay him $5+M/year?

How about a crazy name? Kenny Smith. He has been inching towards coaching or management positions.

Oats staying at Bama instead of taking a top 3 job in the country is a fantasy.

If Oats gets a title in next couple of years, there's no reason to think he can't just stay in Tuscaloosa and turn them into a juggernaut. You're just chasing history at UNC and Bama can and will match any amount of dough thrown at Oats.

From a personal stand point, I'd rather live in Tuscaloosa vs CH.

The Celtics are having a bad year (not entirely his fault) with two all-stars playing.

It would be weird for Stevens to leave the NBA, even if he and the Celts part ways. He will have close to his pick of open jobs this summer (Clips? Hawks? Nuggets if they falter?) and those jobs will all pay him more than what he would be offered at any college program.

I'm hoping Roy, K, Boeheim, and for that matter Dabo are all replaced by wholly incompetent, unlucky coaches who openly cheat, get caught, and lose anyway

Can we stop talking about who unc may or may not hire IF roy retires? shit man, we have steve fuckin forbes, let’s focus on us.

I'm hoping Roy, K, Boeheim, and for that matter Dabo are all replaced by wholly incompetent, unlucky coaches who openly cheat, get caught, and lose anyway

There is no one to do the catching. The NCAA is the wild west.

It would be weird for Stevens to leave the NBA, even if he and the Celts part ways. He will have close to his pick of open jobs this summer (Clips? Hawks? Nuggets if they falter?) and those jobs will all pay him more than what he would be offered at any college program.

That may be, but who knows his motivations. Having come up through college and now made plenty of money, he may think there’s cache in coaching only a premier program like the Celtics or Duke that can’t be found coaching the Denver Nuggets. And I would agree.

Ultimately the speculation is fun but useless till we see what plays out.

That may be, but who knows his motivations. Having come up through college and now made plenty of money, he may think there’s cache in coaching only a premier program like the Celtics or Duke that can’t be found coaching the Denver Nuggets. And I would agree.

There is more cache in winning an NBA title than there is in winning a NCAA title. And again, more money to boot. Not to mention he has been a head coach in the pros for longer than he was a head coach in college.

From a personal stand point, I'd rather live in Tuscaloosa vs CH.

Dude I lived in Tuscaloosa for a year (went to Bama my freshman year) and this is a scorcher. T-Town is a ghost town on non-football weekends. Or at least it was back in 2004-05. Way more to do in CH and the surrounding area.

Stevens has made over $30 million from the Celtics. He's in his 8th season in Boston. He signed an extension in 2020. The length of the extension is unknown, but its believed to run through at least 2026. Stevens has made more money than he could ever spend, and if he returned to college, Stevens would command a salary commensurate with Calipari's $9 million+ per year (hilarious that KY paid Coach Cal to finish 8th in the SEC this past year). So, a) Stevens has made more money than he could ever spend; b) the colleges that would be seeking Stevens would offer him a salary at least equal to the money he's making the Celts.

If Stevens leaves the NBA, it won't be a money decision. My guess is that Stevens won't leave the NBA until he wins a title. When/if he does, I could see Stevens returning to college to join Larry Brown as coaches that have won NCAA and NBA titles. Not going to happen anytime soon.

Dude I lived in Tuscaloosa for a year (went to Bama my freshman year) and this is a scorcher. T-Town is a ghost town on non-football weekends. Or at least it was back in 2004-05. Way more to do in CH and the surrounding area.

Tuscaloosa is a fun town and has grown significantly since 2005 but, yeah, Chapel Hill has much more going for it and far more to do in every direction. Football weekends, though...no comparison.

Back