• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Roy Williams retiring?

There is more cache in winning an NBA title than there is in winning a NCAA title. And again, more money to boot. Not to mention he has been a head coach in the pros for longer than he was a head coach in college.

I disagree. There’s plenty in both. But I think there are more ‘star coaches’ in college than the pros. I realize that’s not necessarily a popular opinion since many view the NBA as the ultimate proving ground. It’s a fun debate.

Pilchard - that’s a good theory. He will probably stay with the Celtics and win a title eventually. But it has to be noteworthy to him that both Duke and UNC are soon going to be open for possibly the only time in his career and he would be coveted by both. I hope he’s happy in the pros.

Stevens has made over $30 million from the Celtics. He's in his 8th season in Boston. He signed an extension in 2020. The length of the extension is unknown, but its believed to run through at least 2026. Stevens has made more money than he could ever spend, and if he returned to college, Stevens would command a salary commensurate with Calipari's $9 million+ per year (hilarious that KY paid Coach Cal to finish 8th in the SEC this past year). So, a) Stevens has made more money than he could ever spend; b) the colleges that would be seeking Stevens would offer him a salary at least equal to the money he's making the Celts.

If Stevens leaves the NBA, it won't be a money decision. My guess is that Stevens won't leave the NBA until he wins a title. When/if he does, I could see Stevens returning to college to join Larry Brown as coaches that have won NCAA and NBA titles. Not going to happen anytime soon.

It probably will not be up to Stevens in Boston. If they don't finish the season well, his seat will be on fire.

Brad Stevens is 44 years old with 339 NBA wins. 50 wins a year for the next 20 years would put him #1 all-time. More than that will allow him to beat whatever mark Pop sets next year (needs 36 to tie Don Nelson). I don't think Stevens passes up that chance even if things don't work out with the Celtics.

I disagree. There’s plenty in both. But I think there are more ‘star coaches’ in college than the pros. I realize that’s not necessarily a popular opinion since many view the NBA as the ultimate proving ground. It’s a fun debate.

Pilchard - that’s a good theory. He will probably stay with the Celtics and win a title eventually. But it has to be noteworthy to him that both Duke and UNC are soon going to be open for possibly the only time in his career and he would be coveted by both. I hope he’s happy in the pros.

Agreed with more star coaches in college. I couldn't tell you the names of many current NBA coaches outside of Pop, Stevens, Thibideau, Billy Donovan (was a star college coach), Kerr, and Stan Van Gundy.

There's more star coaches in college because there are far more college teams who have been around for a lot longer and fewer star players.

There's more job security in college. There are only 3 NBA coaches that have held their jobs for more than 10 years (Pop, Spo, and Carlisle). Almost every Power V conference has more than 3 coaches that have held their job for 10+ years.

Brad Stevens is 44 years old with 339 NBA wins. 50 wins a year for the next 20 years would put him #1 all-time. More than that will allow him to beat whatever mark Pop sets next year (needs 36 to tie Don Nelson). I don't think Stevens passes up that chance even if things don't work out with the Celtics.

Yeah, 18 games over .500 for the next 20 years is a reasonable expectation.

Yeah, 18 games over .500 for the next 20 years is a reasonable expectation.

First of all, he averaged over 50 regular season wins a season the last five seasons so it’s not that crazy.

Second, he could coach more than 20 more years. He’s only 44. Change it to 40 wins a year for the next 25 years if that makes you feel better.

If Stevens stays in the NBA, he’ll break the record unless Pop coaches well into his 70s (he’s 72) or Spo coaches a long time and puts it out of reach.

First of all, he averaged over 50 regular season wins a season the last five seasons so it’s not that crazy.

Second, he could coach more than 20 more years. He’s only 44. Change it to 40 wins a year for the next 25 years if that makes you feel better.

If Stevens stays in the NBA, he’ll break the record unless Pop coaches well into his 70s (he’s 72) or Spo coaches a long time and puts it out of reach.

And he's about to get fired and start over at 18 wins per year, which he can hopefully improve to 45 wins in a few years.

Stevens commented early in his career in Boston how much he enjoyed being able to leave the practice facility, go home, and not have to spend evenings recruiting. I can't imagine he's changed his mind about that.

If he coached Duke his life would be no different.

So, which job would Stevens be more likely to take (assuming they came open at the same time)? Roy is not the legend that K is, giving UNC a slight edge in my book.

I disagree, I’d much rather be the next UNC coach. They have a bigger brand, the Jordan connection, NBA cred and on and on and on. Signing up to be the next Duke coach guarantees you’ll never match (or probably come close) to your predecessor. Plus the academics are tougher, their football team sucks and Chapel Hill is far superior to Durham as a college town.

Back