• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Roy Williams retiring?

Why do you think Stevens is leaving Boston? He's made the playoffs every year but his first and made it to the Conference Finals 3 out of the last 4 seasons. I'm sure Boston would like to make it to the NBA Finals but that's the only thing missing on his resume.

The Celtics are having a bad year (not entirely his fault) with two all-stars playing.

Oats to UNC would be bad. Scary how quickly he has turned Bama into a monster. Not only is he a great coach, but he found talent and recruited them to Buffalo. Then, found and recruited higher level talent to Bama. Don't like thinking about what he could do at UNC. Plus, WF fans were on Oats first...

Avery was actually a pretty good recruiter but Oats has definitely built on the talent foundation.

Bama had several good players when he arrived. He's done a great job.

man, I know this has been said before...but we have a perfect storm of opportunity in front of us and thank god we have STeve Forbes running the show now instead of the Mannequin. Duke and UNC are as vulnerable as they have been in ages with coaches that have one foot in retirement. Pitino is gone and suddenly UL looks vulnerable. Syracuse is still tough but Boeheim ain't getting any younger or more energetic. NC state appears to be stuck in neutral. Plus, due to the covid transfer situation, you have a one time only (?) chance to completely make over your roster with players with D1 experience. STeve Forbes has a golden opportunity sitting right in front of him. I think he can do it too. I sure hope so.

Pitino is gone...seriously?

Who are the others besides Oats and Stevens this board would least like to see them nab?

I'll take a slightly contrarian view. The ACC is better when UNC is thriving. I'd like to see them get a very good but not great coach. I'm not ready to say HOF Wes qualifies but they can do worse.

I'll take a slightly contrarian view. The ACC is better when UNC is thriving. I'd like to see them get a very good but not great coach. I'm not ready to say HOF Wes qualifies but they can do worse.

And this is why Bama is Bama, Duke is Duke, the Yankees are the Yankees and Wake is LOWF. I don't know how this line of thought is ever changed. Perhaps never.

I mean this in the nicest possible way: Fuck you.

Yep. The ACC is at its best when UNC, Duke, FSU, Clemson, and any major programs traditionally are down and the rest of the conference can shine.

Yep. The ACC is at its best when UNC, Duke, FSU, Clemson, and any major programs traditionally are down and the rest of the conference can shine.

Until the goal is the following statement, "Yep. The ACC is at its best when UNC, Duke, FSU, Clemson, Wake Forest and any major programs traditionally are down and the rest of the conference can shine", you're simply whistling past the graveyard.

Can’t think of another take on this board that I’ve ever disagreed with more. UNC thriving is bad for WF on every level,

Ew.

Well it is probably better for the ACC for UNC to be good, but it is not good for Wake.

Talk about LOWF. The only way for Wake to be good is if the ACC, UNC in particular, sucks.

Thinking that other teams need to suck in order for us to be good is some real LOWF shit. We can succeed even if other teams are succeeding too.

I don't see an NBA coach doing it unless they run out of options at that level.

Assuming Hubert Davis is the favorite if they go with an alum, before Wes, Stackhouse or anyone else.

If they go outside - Oats would be a nightmare. But he also has an opportunity to build at Bama what has not been done before. Something to be said for that vs. chasing legends. I can't imagine money will be an issue there ever, even if football is always #1. Worked well at Florida for awhile in the mid 2000s.

Doesn't really matter in regards to WF. As stated above, Virginia and FSU proved you can get to the top of the league. Duke & Cuse are in for a much bigger reality check soon than UNC. Heels will always recruit well and have success spanning multiple coaches. That is TBD for Duke and Cuse.

we can beat Carolina and Duke when they're good. the home game against Carolina during Roy's first title year was the basketball highlight of my 4-years, and perhaps the Wake bball pinnacle of the last 15-20 years.

Oats staying at Bama instead of taking a top 3 job in the country is a fantasy.

Back