• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Roy Williams retiring?

I’m willing to admit I was wrong. I thought people would get laughed at for suggesting Wes Miller was a real candidate for UNC.

But it seems pretty clear that he’s at least on the list.

I really hope they hire Hubert Davis. He might be good, but he’s much more of a question mark due to his lack of HC experience.

I didn’t think Miller could get hired at UNC... But I do think he’ll be at least relatively successful if he is.

When you add the lack of experience to the changing face of recruiting. Davis would likely have a tough start. From the time he was a HSer being recruited by INC, the coaches have selected players as much as recruited. With the new G-League option and more coming for HSers, the blue bloods will have to do real recruiting. Hitting the ground running could easily hold him back.

Had Stack not failed so miserably at Vandy, that recruiting and coaching experience would have made him Davis' major competition for the job.

I wouldn't be surprised if Kenny Smith isn't trying to get in a back door. It looks like HoF Wes might be the "compromise" candidate. If all else fails, it may fall into his lap to avoid a total implosion.

He’s only on the list for the same reason Stackhouse is on the list with a 20-37 record. There aren’t many Carolina guys who are college head coaches and we know they want to keep it in the family.

That’s why I’m curious. I’ve never seen Wes mentioned for any high major jobs where he didn’t have a connection (Wake and UNC).

Both.

I think there is a zero percent chance Stackhouse is an actual candidate. Agree with Goodman that Davis and Miller make the most sense if they “keep it in the family.”

Oh I agree. But Stackhouse gets mentioned because there are many of them and he’s the most famous one.

It's crazy that one of the top 3 jobs in college basketball is going to limit their options to the head coach at UNC-Greensboro and someone who has never been a head coach before.

I didn't realize Steve Robinson is 63, but yeah he left FSU almost 20 years ago.

Take this rumor for what it’s worth, a former UNC radio guy I know says the pick has already been made and it’s Hubert Davis. He’s been gone from there for a long while so I guess we’ll see how good his sources still are.

Bubba Cunningham isnt screwing this up. I gots da scoop. UNC folks are going to be happy.

We knew this day was coming 10 years ago. WF's first real chance to compete with the inevitable retirement of K, Roy, Pitino & Boeheim all in this window of time.

We could have chosen to take that decade to build a small stadium designed for us. We could have hired Kelsey or Miller on a string budget to do just that. Think how much better off we would now be?

Instead, we chose to chase Shaka and then hire Buzz & Manning and, even worse, doubling down on them both. All the while with our head in the sand saying "the Joel is just fine." In fact, we then bought the worst venue in sports with precious millions we could have invested in the proper stadium and young Coach built for the 20s. We blew the opportunity.

This last decade is over. A disaster predictably ensued from such horrible decisions. Those decisions have now wrecked the 20s as well. We have little chance to compete in our present framework.

We should recognize another lost decade is at hand and, rather than go deeper in the Joel and old folks, pull the plug and begin building a 7-9K seat stadium designed specifically for college basketball (paths chosen by Gonzaga, Villanova & Duke). We should ride it out with Forbes as long as he's got the fire and can roll. He's here now and a jolly good guy. Yeah Forbes! But he won't win in earnest either. He can't. He's been dealt a phony deck.

Then when he inevitably leaves or dies, we should hire a 35 year old Coach that we know to open up our new stadium. The same way Gonzaga did with Mark Few 20 years ago and Indiana, Duke, UNC, and UCLA all did to fuel their own decades long dynasties. Although this decade is again already lost, the 30s aren't yet. If we want to compete in the 30s and 40s we need to get on this path now.

While the debates are fun and interesting, there's no denying that the Wake Forest way hasn't worked time and again.

Last edited:
We knew this day was coming 10 years ago. WF's first real chance to compete with the inevitable retirement of K, Roy, Pitino & Boeheim all in this window of time.

We could have chosen to take that decade to build a small stadium designed for us. We could have hired Kelsey or Miller on a string budget to do just that. Think how much better off we would now be?

Instead, we chose to chase Shaka and then hire Buzz & Manning and, even worse, doubling down on them both. All the while with our head in the sand saying "the Joel is just fine." In fact, we then bought the worst venue in sports with precious millions we could have invested in the proper stadium and young Coach built for the 20s. We blew the opportunity.

This last decade is over. A disaster predictably ensued from such horrible decisions. Those decisions have now wrecked the 20s as well. We have little chance to compete in our present framework.

We should recognize another lost decade is at hand and, rather than go deeper in the Joel and old folks, pull the plug and begin building a 7-9K seat stadium designed specifically for college basketball (paths chosen by Gonzaga, Villanova & Duke). We should ride it out with Forbes as long as he's got the fire and can roll. He's here now and a jolly good guy. Yeah Forbes! But he won't win in earnest either. He can't. He's been dealt a phony deck.

Then when he inevitably leaves or dies, we should hire a 35 year old Coach that we know to open up our new stadium. The same way Gonzaga did with Mark Few 20 years ago and Indiana, Duke, UNC, and UCLA all did to fuel their own decades long dynasties. Although this decade is again already lost, the 30s aren't yet. If we want to compete in the 30s and 40s we need to get on this path now.

While the debates are fun and interesting, there's no denying that the Wake Forest way hasn't worked time and again.

Somebody kick the record player, bro. Shit is skipping again.

I'll be interested to see what UNC does. It would be such a classic UNC move to replace Roy with an assistant only because they went to UNC, when they could have their pick of many great coaches. I listened to Cunningham's press conference last night, and he didn't necessarily emphasize the "Carolina Way" as a major factor in his decision.

My guess is they have too many alumni still painfully familiar with the Doherty fiasco that they know this time they can’t make that same mistake twice. As an AD, you want to make a home run hire and there’s no excuse why they can’t. (I wish Wellman had felt the same way.)

Yeah, ronnie didn't think he could make a big hire. He thought he had to find a diamond in the rough because no one would come to wake. Of course he also thought his brilliance would land him a great hire and everyone would know how amazing he was. "Just one more year guys. I know you'll see it soon..."

FWIW, Roy didn’t decide to retire until the last week or so. This wasn’t a long-planned deal. It may make the search look different than it would otherwise.

I'm not laughing. Bennett is currently hemorrhaging the little talent he has left at UVA. That said, I don't think he's a good fit at UNC. He's going to want to do things his way and wouldn't listen to the Carolina way. He can be mediocre at UVA for a few years and will still be a hero. Should he buck the Carolina way and not be successful year in and out, UNC would not be nearly as patient.

I'm hoping they stay in the family and don't go after a big non-family name. But if they do stay in the family, the 1 guy who has the most potential is Miller. Hubert and Stack don't scare me.

Back