• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Roy Williams retiring?

Roy is 70 years old, Bubba certainly has some sort of succession plan. Same as at Duke and Syracuse. They all know there coaches aren't going to be around forever.

I'm not laughing. Bennett is currently hemorrhaging the little talent he has left at UVA. That said, I don't think he's a good fit at UNC. He's going to want to do things his way and wouldn't listen to the Carolina way. He can be mediocre at UVA for a few years and will still be a hero. Should he buck the Carolina way and not be successful year in and out, UNC would not be nearly as patient.

I'm hoping they stay in the family and don't go after a big non-family name. But if they do stay in the family, the 1 guy who has the most potential is Miller. Hubert and Stack don't scare me.

What exactly is the “Carolina way”? Rampant academic fraud?

Yeah, ronnie didn't think he could make a big hire. He thought he had to find a diamond in the rough because no one would come to wake. Of course he also thought his brilliance would land him a great hire and everyone would know how amazing he was. "Just one more year guys. I know you'll see it soon..."

On paper, Wake getting a former NBA coach and current Pac-12 coach looks really good. Not many major conference programs can get major conference coaches. It’s just that [Redacted] is a loser.

Wes Miller would almost certainly have UNC in the top half of the ACC 80-90% of the time, in the Sweet 16 more often than not, and occasionally legitimately competing for a national championship.

So would Steve Forbes, if he coached at UNC. As would Chris Mack and Mike Young and (especially) Tony Bennett and Leonard Hamilton and probably most current ACC coaches who suddenly had UNC's recruiting and infrastructure advantages.

You almost have to try to fail at UNC. I haven't seen enough of Miller to know that he could be a great coach there, but he's competent.

Stevens would be great. Calipari makes around $10 million per year. If I were UNC I'd offer Stevens around $12 million annual reasons to leave Boston.

It's crazy that one of the top 3 jobs in college basketball is going to limit their options to the head coach at UNC-Greensboro and someone who has never been a head coach before.

I second this. It’s mind boggling that they would take this path.

Since 1961, they have had only 4 HCs and have done pretty well. It may not work other places but it has there.

On paper, Wake getting a former NBA coach and current Pac-12 coach looks really good. Not many major conference programs can get major conference coaches. It’s just that [Redacted] is a loser.

Sure "former nba coach" and "current pac 12 coach" sound good but when you look at the actual paper and video that shows that resume anyone else understands how bad that record is.

Yeah. He was a crony hire and Wellman did his buddy and his family a huge favor.

Millennials have killed movie theaters, shopping malls, and Roy Williams.

He may have retired anyway, but the mini-rebellion by the younger players in the program late in the season left no doubt in Roy's mind that he needed to leave.

https://journalnow.com/news/local/r...87cc4ad.html#tracking-source=home-top-story-1

Interesting take by Ed Hardin that Aw Shucks Roy was tired of dealing with today’s entitled players and their families. Not hard to believe, however.

And he may be fed up with it, but is complicit in it too. Like he doesn't have any entitlement personally, or benefit from the entitlement UNC is broadly afforded? It's been a program above the law. That's why I'm so happy to see the aw-shucks routine finally go away.

Yeah, but don’t tell any Carolina fans how fake Roy’s persona is. Fighting words. That’s why I’ve always liked K better. At least he never tried to hide the fact that he’s a huge asshole.

Yeah, but don’t tell any Carolina fans how fake Roy’s persona is. Fighting words. That’s why I’ve always liked K better. At least he never tried to hide the fact that he’s a huge asshole.

I think they’re both cut from the same cloth. Coach Relationships likes to promote his allegedly good nature and just expects people to ignore his on court persona.

Since 1961, they have had only 4 HCs and have done pretty well. It may not work other places but it has there.

It worked because they hired one of the greatest coaches ever 60 years ago. They made three "in the family" hires after that. One was a victory lap for a loyal assistant who was handed a totally loaded squad and got worse every year. One was a total failure. The third was a wildly successful coach who would have been a great candidate whether or not he was in the Carolina family.

And the coach that started this had been an assistant at UNC.

He may have retired anyway, but the mini-rebellion by the younger players in the program late in the season left no doubt in Roy's mind that he needed to leave.

The key words of the PC were "I'm not the man for the job anymore." Roy is old school college basketball, and the new reality of 24% of all NCAA players are in the transfer portal doesn't sit with him. Trust me, I'm a State fan, and love to hate on some Huckleberry, but the man knows that the "Carolina Way" pitch means less to a HS junior than how many games are on national TV, so he bowed out. I respect that.

Back