• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Roy Williams retiring?

I really hope it's Hubert -- he might succeed, but he has a much lower chance of being good than, you know, a coach who has proven to be good

If they keep it "in the family" again, it will pretty much be a statement that the rest of the BB world isn't ready for the level of slime that perpetrates from the Old Well.

pretty good take from the NY Post

" it’s all a con. The retirement of North Carolina basketball coach Roy Williams last week inspired a salute from his longtime Duke rival, Mike Krzyzewski — who celebrated Williams as a man who not only cared about the game, “but more importantly, the people who played it.”

So then why did Williams plead total ignorance when it came to light that his UNC career and successes were in part predicated on systemic academic fraud in maintaining player eligibility through high marks in no-show, no-work classes?

How is it possible he cared most “about the people” who played for him when he didn’t know or perhaps even care if his recruits would leave UNC with a functional education, starting with the ability to read and write?

How did his star guard Rashad McCants make the academic Dean’s List — four A’s in his four classes — when, by his own admission, he didn’t attend a single class? Or was that for perfect attendance at practice?

As the college’s highest paid employee, didn’t that matter to Williams or UNC?

Save it, Coach K. You’re full of it, and I suspect you know it."

Sounds like Hubert Davis.

Wonder if Roy retired this year because it made the hiring of Davis somewhat certain, versus other years when a bigger, non-UNC name might be more interested.

awesome

he might be good, but much less likely than many other guys they could have had

If it is Davis, I'm gonna feel a bit worse about it if he brings Miller on. That would make more sense from a bench perspective with a clear succession plan in place.

Wow, what a wasted opportunity.

Goodman also tweeted that Cunningham "swung for the fence" but that none of UNC's aspirational candidates were interested. Not terribly surprising.

If it is Davis, I'm gonna feel a bit worse about it if he brings Miller on. That would make more sense from a bench perspective with a clear succession plan in place.

Why would Miller take a job as an assistant ? If Davis succeeds he'll be an assistant forever. If Davis fails, he wouldn't be the guy to replace him.

I think it's safe to assume Stevens is never coming back to the college ranks unless he has no choice or he really just wants to end up at Duke when K retires. That's the only other job I could see him holding out for if he does ever want to return to college basketball.

"Multiple" could be any number. It's not that crazy some players would prefer hiring someone with head coaching experience.

Why would Miller take a job as an assistant ? If Davis succeeds he'll be an assistant forever. If Davis fails, he wouldn't be the guy to replace him.

Didn't Miller get his current HC gig by being promoted from assistant coach on an interim basis but then earned the job? Or am I misremembering?

Back