• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Roy Williams retiring?

It's Hubie. Just too much support from the UNC community- Roy, plays, ex players and on and on.

Excellent choice. Knew that Billy D, Brad Stevens, Jay Wright, Mark Few, etc. weren't going anywhere.

Congrats to Hubert for making history. I can't wait for Steve Forbes to kick his ass twice a year.

now we need coach k to be replaced by jon scheyer and shit will get REAL

Wes should take the assistant's job. There is no evidence any other schools other than UNCG want him at this point.

I get trying to poke DR, but that's not true. Wes was the runner up for WF and probably UNC too. He's going to get a Power Conference job. Do think that Wes was less open to going all out for other more distant Power Conference jobs in recent years with the thought that WF and UNC were going to come open.

FWIW, if I was Davis, I would not want Wes on my staff: a) Wes clearly does not want to be lifetime assistant (not good mojo to have your top assistant after your job); b) if UNC succeeds, people will inevitably claim that Wes is pulling the strings; c) Davis should pick his staff, not the UNC AD (among the other flaws in the Bz hire was Wellman's idea that he should pick the staff). That said, if UNC's offer to Davis is contingent on Wes as an assistant, you got to do what you got to do.

I get trying to poke DR, but that's not true. Wes was the runner up for WF and probably UNC too. He's going to get a Power Conference job. Do think that Wes was less open to going all out for other more distant Power Conference jobs in recent years with the thought that WF and UNC were going to come open.

FWIW, if I was Davis, I would not want Wes on my staff: a) Wes clearly does not want to be lifetime assistant (not good mojo to have your top assistant after your job); b) if UNC succeeds, people will inevitably claim that Wes is pulling the strings; c) Davis should pick his staff, not the UNC AD (among the other flaws in the Bz hire was Wellman's idea that he should pick the staff). That said, if UNC's offer to Davis is contingent on Wes as an assistant, you got to do what you got to do.

If you get I was trying to poke DR, then the remainder of your post was irrelevant. Not untrue, mind you, but irrelevant.

My point is that if Hubert gets fired for going 19-12 for three straight years with Miller on his bench, Miller's not getting promoted to head coach. However, if Hubert goes 34-3 and wins the NC every four years, Miller's not getting hired until Hubert steps down at age 72 and he's 60 years old.

I suppose you could argue that becoming the lead assistant at UNC-CH is a better job than head coach at UNC-G because you might be better able to get a P5 job directly from the UNC-CH position, kind of like Chris Collins and Wojo. But that's not the same as getting the job at UNC-CH.

Either way, it's not happening. Miller's not taking the job as assistant coach for a guy with less head coaching experience who just got hired ahead of him. I don't care what it pays.

Why would Miller take a job as an assistant ? If Davis succeeds he'll be an assistant forever. If Davis fails, he wouldn't be the guy to replace him.

$$$$ What's he making at UNCG, like $2-400K? Triple that to be Hubert's assistant and be the successor when he retires if all goes well. I'm hoping Wes stays where he is.

I'm betting Miller turned down the job because the Dean Dome is just too damn big and he knows he needs a small on-campus arena to succeed, like the Greensboro Coliseum Complex.

Maybe he could take some curtains to Chapel Hill with him?

My point is that if Hubert gets fired for going 19-12 for three straight years with Miller on his bench, Miller's not getting promoted to head coach. However, if Hubert goes 34-3 and wins the NC every four years, Miller's not getting hired until Hubert steps down at age 72 and he's 60 years old.

I suppose you could argue that becoming the lead assistant at UNC-CH is a better job than head coach at UNC-G because you might be better able to get a P5 job directly from the UNC-CH position, kind of like Chris Collins and Wojo. But that's not the same as getting the job at UNC-CH.

Either way, it's not happening. Miller's not taking the job as assistant coach for a guy with less head coaching experience who just got hired ahead of him. I don't care what it pays.

Yes, Miller's not getting the UNC job, unless Hubert has an "accident". The question for Miller is whether he feels he is more likely to get a better head coaching offer if he remains at UNCG or if goes to UNC as the top assistant, and they win big. Well, the other question is the money, but IIRC, money isn't really an object for the Miller family.

A turnip could recruit decent players to UNC, and Roy wasn't that great of a bench coach. I thought Hubert was good on ESPN, and he'll relate well to players, their families, the fanbase & media. Williams' "ol' Roy ain't that good" shtick was wearing thin, and he loved to play that false modesty thing, but watch out if some reporter call-in fan to his radio show disagreed with him (i.e. agreed with his "I'm not that good/I need to coach these guys better" take).
Yes this is not a slam-dunk hire, but OTOH Hubert could be really good for a really long time.

$$$$ What's he making at UNCG, like $2-400K? Triple that to be Hubert's assistant and be the successor when he retires if all goes well. I'm hoping Wes stays where he is.

Davis is only 50 years old and Wes is 38. Do you really expect Wes to agree to sit next to Hubert for 15-20 years on the promise that he can take over in 2040 when he's in his late-50's ?

A turnip could recruit decent players to UNC, and Roy wasn't that great of a bench coach. I thought Hubert was good on ESPN, and he'll relate well to players, their families, the fanbase & media. Williams' "ol' Roy ain't that good" shtick was wearing thin, and he loved to play that false modesty thing, but watch out if some reporter call-in fan to his radio show disagreed with him (i.e. agreed with his "I'm not that good/I need to coach these guys better" take).
Yes this is not a slam-dunk hire, but OTOH Hubert could be really good for a really long time.

Coaching is "easier" at UNC or other blue blood schools, but it's not easy anywhere. Look at this past year, KY, Duke, Michigan State and to an extent Kansas all struggled. UNC sucked last year. The idea that any program can run on auto-pilot is wrong.

Wes and his family have money. Tripling his salary is nice, but it's not like he needs to get it. The money will be there at his next head coaching gig.

Back