Page 1 of 20 12345611 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 392

Thread: Roy Williams retiring?

  1. #1

    Roy Williams retiring?

    some smoke coming out of CH that ole Roy is hangin it up

  2. #2
    It makes sense to me though I imagine heíd prefer to go out on a somewhat higher note. But still heís 70 and has nothing left to accomplish. Coached and won titles at two of the most storied programs in history. UNC has fallen off dramatically in recent years. Not sure most UNC folks would even be that concerned about it.

  3. #3
    He didnít win a title at Kansas, my bad.

  4. #4
    Banhammer'd
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    HB, CA
    Posts
    78,116
    This would make a lot of sense. They won't be that good next year and have zero Top 30 players coming in next fall. On top of those factors, in a year or two the NBA CBA will change for HSers and he'd have to start recruiting rather than choosing.

  5. #5
    DR will be pulling hard for his boy, Wes. Don't think so.

  6. #6
    Steve Lepore ProbationDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Posts
    1,344
    The last two years have not been great (particularly last year). But they did win the championship just 4 years ago. They played in the sweet 16 in 2019 (won the conference regular season that year too). I realize for some tarhole fans that does feel like they have really "fallen off" and the expectations are high.
    Last edited by ProbationDeac; 03-22-2021 at 04:37 PM.
    Jeff [name redacted]:Sock changer

  7. #7
    Who knows. Guess the story could have some legs. See Kessler hit the portal today. Story said it was following an emotional meeting yesterday between Roy, himself and his dad. And it mentioned how much he loved UNC, the program, etc. But that this was a basketball decision.

  8. #8
    if only we had hired wes we'd be in the final four already this year

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by ProbationDeac View Post
    The last two years have not been great (particularly last year). But they did win the championship just 4 years ago. They played in the sweet 16 in 2019 (won the conference regular season that year too). I realize for tarhole fans that does feel like they have really "fallen off" and the expectations are high.
    Itís definitely all relative but it looks like a few years and a lot of effort to get back to title contention from where they are now. Recruiting hasnít been as good. Just seems like a hard road at that age with really nothing to prove. Unlike K it does seem that Roy wants to have some life outside of basketball.

  10. #10
    On the Heel Board, there are rumblings that Bacot is leaving.

  11. #11
    Sam "Ace" Rothstein
    DeacsATS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    9,223
    Quote Originally Posted by Seeya View Post
    Who knows. Guess the story could have some legs. See Kessler hit the portal today. Story said it was following an emotional meeting yesterday between Roy, himself and his dad. And it mentioned how much he loved UNC, the program, etc. But that this was a basketball decision.
    The account of that meeting sounds like bullshit to me, but whatever. Doesn't matter.

  12. #12
    The story is that the younger players (and their parents) felt Roy favored/gave too many minutes to older players (Platek, Leaky Black, Garrison Brooks) over better younger players. Kessler may not be the last of the freshman/sophomores to leave.

  13. #13
    Banhammer'd
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    HB, CA
    Posts
    78,116
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilchard View Post
    DR will be pulling hard for his boy, Wes. Don't think so.
    I think HOF Wes might have a good chance. I think Stack might have been the target, but he has Danny-level sucked at Vandy. Hubert Davis is on the very short list.

    Will Pitino change his mind about not wanting to coach in the big time?

    Before we get too excited, this could be Royboy blowing off some frustration.

  14. #14

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by RJKarl View Post
    I think HOF Wes might have a good chance. I think Stack might have been the target, but he has Danny-level sucked at Vandy. Hubert Davis is on the very short list.

    Will Pitino change his mind about not wanting to coach in the big time?

    Before we get too excited, this could be Royboy blowing off some frustration.
    he does

    top candidates would be Hubert Davis and Wes

    although i do wonder if brad stevens is actually considering indiana, he might wait to see if the unc gig opens up. and that would be awful.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by WRS View Post
    He didnít win a title at Kansas, my bad.
    That 2003 title loss will always be the day that young Gooner truly understood sports sadness

  17. #17
    The Pumpfaker greekdeac2011's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    2,062
    Quote Originally Posted by buckets View Post
    he does

    top candidates would be Hubert Davis and Wes

    although i do wonder if brad stevens is actually considering indiana, he might wait to see if the unc gig opens up. and that would be awful.
    I don't think Brad Stevens is going to leave the NBA for Indiana or UNC unless he's fired and no one else wants to hire him. You typically don't demote yourself back to college unless you're woefully unsuccessful like Pitino or Callipari.

  18. #18
    My UNC fan friend points out to me that Ol' Roy just signed an extension in 2018 that takes him to 2028.

    That being said, signing an extension doesn't stop him from retiring before that contract is up.

  19. #19
    Primary OGB Benefactor
    BiffTannen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Hill Valley
    Posts
    40,081
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilchard View Post
    The story is that the younger players (and their parents) felt Roy favored/gave too many minutes to older players (Platek, Leaky Black, Garrison Brooks) over better younger players. Kessler may not be the last of the freshman/sophomores to leave.
    And they are correct.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilchard View Post
    The story is that the younger players (and their parents) felt Roy favored/gave too many minutes to older players (Platek, Leaky Black, Garrison Brooks) over better younger players. Kessler may not be the last of the freshman/sophomores to leave.
    God god if thatís true then I truly dont get kids. If he loves Carolina and he is the only player over 6í 7Ē returning other than a guy who has basically never seen thr floor and never will (Manley). And itís ACC and a blueblood at that - what exactly is the kid looking for?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •