• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Roy Williams retiring?

As the poster who has been worried about Billy D to UNC for YEARS, I can say confidently we lucked out with Roy retiring right now.

Billy D is in the first year of his deal with the Chicago Bulls, they're fighting for a playoff spot, and the franchise has enough confidence in the coaching staff and roster to have traded for Nikola Vucevic (an all-star, for you non-NBA fans) to make a deeper run. Plus that big contract.

He ain't leaving for college this year.

People seem to be treating Hubert Davis like he’s a long time assistant like Coach Gut. Davis had a long NBA career, then he was on ESPN for several years (which will help him publicly), and he’s been at UNC since 2012. The next UNC coach should have more experience than 9 seasons as an assistant.

As the poster who has been worried about Billy D to UNC for YEARS, I can say confidently we lucked out with Roy retiring right now.

Billy D is in the first year of his deal with the Chicago Bulls, they're fighting for a playoff spot, and the franchise has enough confidence in the coaching staff and roster to have traded for Nikola Vucevic (an all-star, for you non-NBA fans) to make a deeper run. Plus that big contract.

I hope you're right.

so we just gotta wait a few more years for K to retire, in other words

https://www.statefansnation.com/201...nd-enraged-roy-williams/#sthash.vXOzZFWQ.dpbs

The UNC alumni player push will be huge for Stackhouse and Hubert......it will be interesting to see who Jordan sides with. I would think Nate Oats would moonwalk to Chapel Hell if offered.

Really hope UNC arrogance wins this battle. UNC arrogance will dictate that the job stay in house and that a Carolina man should coach Carolina, preferably a former high profile player, who knows the UNC way. Anything that limits the pool of candidates is a good thing. If UNC makes a blind hiring decision that is solely focused on who is the coach that is most likely to win lots of basketball games (i.e., Billy Donovan, Nate Oats), regardless of background, look out. UNC makes a legacy hire; every other school competing with UNC benefits.

Please make a Matt Doherty type of hire again...

Last edited:
And Tuscaloosa is the shithole of the universe, and basketball will always play second fiddle to football. Oats can fuckin' coach, so I hope he doesn't wind up in CH.

How soon does Carolina make their move? Gotta figure it can't take long as these rumors started a couple weeks back.

It’s weird that this is written like it’s coming from a fan or observer, not a reporter. Is this what you’re hearing, Jeff? Probably so.

Will be fascinating if we’re suddenly going up against Wes Miller.

Back