Page 7 of 101 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121757 ... LastLast

Thread: Chat thread 1331: Just talkiní chickens. This is better.

i have gotten a $7 espresso drink every day this week though cause there's a great coffee shop down the street and i'm on a workcation in NY

timothee chalmamemmemet goes to this place, according to my BIL, so i keep hoping to see him and keep ordering $7 lattes and $16 chicken salad sandwiches but still no sightings

Quote Originally Posted by mako1331 View Post
    I don't know how people drink coffee black. I load that shit down with flavored creamer.
    Your mom likes her... coffee... Black. Loaded with creamer tho!

Quote Originally Posted by mako1331 View Post
    My reading time has curtailed recently because the 2yo has gotten into the habit of wanting someone to lay with her until she falls asleep, and she can't fall asleep with a light on, so one of us generally lays in her bed in the dark until she passes out, and we inevitably fall asleep in there as well, so I'm missing half of my quiet night reading time.
    We weaned our daughter off of those long long waiting till she was asleep bedtimes. We instituted "cuddle time" and would call it 5 minutes because we had to do xyz. Some nights we really had something to do so it was less than 5 minutes. Some days we were enjoying the time and it was way more. She never realized if it was a minute or 20. If she complained or just asked for more time we would say "would you like a SPECIAL extra minute?" Then she was excited and would let us leave because she got something special.

YMMV

Having to wear a mask at school all day has cut me down from 4+ coffees to only 2 or 3, so that's good I guess.

I usually have a decaf after dinner as well.

Iím a one-a-day cold brew drinker. Have two coffee shops a short walk away, one right around the corner for when the weather is shitty and one a 10-12 minute walk. Gets me caffeinated and gets one out of the house so thatís perfect.

Always been a big reader but have struggled to commit to it during covid. Mental energy just not always there. Need some good recs to jump into especially with a few short trips upcoming.

what do you like to read
    semi-aquatic like otters be.

Quote Originally Posted by DeacsATS View Post

I started Lincoln: Team of Rivals late last year and got through 600 of ~700 pages right away and then completely fell off. Still haven't finished it and it taunts me every night just sitting there on my nightstand.
    I'm struggling with Keith Richard's book, "Life" the same way; got mostly through it and just haven't been able to pick it up lately. I need to just power through it and get on to something else.

i have been indulging in alcohol drinks this week

brother in law is a bad influence

but also it's been incredibly special to get to spend this time together with family, my son and his lil cousin, the age difference rn between a 6 month old and a 3 month old preemie seems really staggering but as they grow up they'll be basically the same age as each other and that rules

i really like my cousin closest to me in age and getting to grow up with him was very fun and cool, though we only saw each other a couple times a year

Quote Originally Posted by TenaciousKory View Post
    what do you like to read
    Lots of fiction and tons of historical non-fiction. Some of my favorite books:

Anything by Erik Larson
    The Boys in the Boat
    Endurance: Shackletonís Incredible Voyage
    Decent amount of finance/business stuff ó Barbarians at the Gate, When Genius Failed, Liarís Poker, Too Big to Fail, etc

Currently reading a Hemingway biography and had a friend lend me Deacon King Kong which I need to start.

Banhammer'd
    Here's a scary thought...think of me as I am...now think of me with 2-4 espressos/day in my system...

Coffee is one of the few vices I've never participated in.

Primary OGB Benefactor
    Gonna get some vodka soda in T minus five hours.

I disagree with you
    Quote Originally Posted by WRS View Post
    Lots of fiction and tons of historical non-fiction. Some of my favorite books:

Anything by Erik Larson
    The Boys in the Boat
    Endurance: Shackletonís Incredible Voyage
    Decent amount of finance/business stuff ó Barbarians at the Gate, When Genius Failed, Liarís Poker, Too Big to Fail, etc

Currently reading a Hemingway biography and had a friend lend me Deacon King Kong which I need to start.
    This is a great telling of Shackleton's voyage. Def recommend.

Some others I read once at year/2 year:

Sailing Alone Around the World
    Two Years Before the Mast
    The Guns of August

Quote Originally Posted by TownieDeac View Post

but also it's been incredibly special to get to spend this time together with family, my son and his lil cousin, the age difference rn between a 6 month old and a 3 month old preemie seems really staggering but as they grow up they'll be basically the same age as each other and that rules

i really like my cousin closest to me in age and getting to grow up with him was very fun and cool, though we only saw each other a couple times a year
    We had a run of 4 grandkids in a span of 6 months in our family. They are all 3 now and it is going to be so fun as they grow up and hang out together.

Quote Originally Posted by ImTheCaptain View Post
    This is a great telling of Shackleton's voyage. Def recommend.

Some others I read once at year/2 year:

Sailing Alone Around the World
    Two Years Before the Mast
    The Guns of August
    Agreed, so compelling. Iíve read it a handful of times and always really enjoy it. Will take a look at some of the others you mentioned ó thanks.

i have gotten a $7 espresso drink every day this week though cause there's a great coffee shop down the street and i'm on a workcation in NY

timothee chalmamemmemet goes to this place, according to my BIL, so i keep hoping to see him and keep ordering $7 lattes and $16 chicken salad sandwiches but still no sightings
    I could never fathom spending more than $2-4 on a coffee daily.

RIP Larry McMurtry, i think we've talked about how much Lonesome Dove kicks ass on the chat thread before

Quote Originally Posted by BeachBumDeac View Post
    We had a run of 4 grandkids in a span of 6 months in our family. They are all 3 now and it is going to be so fun as they grow up and hang out together.
    yeah my sister has a daughter a year and a day older than our son and she's about to have a son in the next couple of weeks, so they'll all be right around the same age. and my cousin has a daughter who is a little less than a year older than my son. so it'll be good for family beach trips and such.

Things pretentious people say.

Quote Originally Posted by RJKarl View Post
    Here's a scary thought...think of me as I am...now think of me with 2-4 espressos/day in my system...

Coffee is one of the few vices I've never participated in.
    You are really missing out.

I want my kids to be close to their cousins and I hope with COVID vaccinations rolling out we can start spending time with them again. My wife is close to her sister and the ages of the kids works out reasonable well - my kids are 5 and 4, the cousins are 10, 7, 3 so they're close enough in age and seem to have a good time when they do see each other.

I've chosen to estrange myself from my cousins and most of my extended family so I don't know much about their lives or their childrens lives and I can assure you my kids won't know any of them. When I finally made the decision that I didn't want any part of them I felt a weight lifted off my shoulders - like I was fighting it for so long and accepting estrangement made me feel much better about it. #CTTherapy