• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat thread 1331: Just talkin’ chickens. This is better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You may proceed with the car talk. Knowing someone with a dealer license is clutch.

Shit...I’m probably going to end up financing a brand new vehicle from the local dealer instead of paying cash for the nicer trim one certified from the CLT folks.

The local guy has been helpful, plus I might just take advantage of the zero percent financing offer presently in place.

I’ve never financed a car but why not if there’s no interest and insurance costs are the same (I’ve confirmed)?

We got a pretty good deal on a new Outback since it was their last 2020 on the lot and it was right before the end of the year. And there’s like 2 minor feature differences between the 20 and 21 so was fine missing out on that.

Chat thread 1331:I don’t know what to do with my hands

Thank god your mom does.

Shit...I’m probably going to end up financing a brand new vehicle from the local dealer instead of paying cash for the nicer trim one certified from the CLT folks.

The local guy has been helpful, plus I might just take advantage of the zero percent financing offer presently in place.

I’ve never financed a car but why not if there’s no interest and insurance costs are the same (I’ve confirmed)?

Is this the car you were asking about a couple weeks back? What did you decide on?

I paid off my car earlier this week a couple years early. Once I pay off my tax bill in a month or two, it will be the first time I've been debt free in 20 years. I even like started prepaying credit cards that would ordinarily be due a month from now to celebrate the occasion and see what the impact on my credit score will be (although I think I'd actually be better off keeping a small balance on the cards, going to test that out over the next few months).

I'd been wagering on silly things like bitcoin and such, and the constant thought of "well if this just tanks in value I'm gonna be pissed I didn't pay off my car" was holding me back from feeling free to just purely gamble, so I paid it off.

Last edited:
I paid off my car earlier this week. Once I pay off my tax bill in a month or two, it will be the first time I've been debt free in 20 years. I even like started prepaying credit cards that would ordinarily be due a month from now to celebrate the occasion and see what the impact on my credit score will be (although I think I'd actually be better off keeping a small balance on the cards, going to test that out over the next few months).

keeping this post around for when we get a post in 12-18 mo where plama finds out wife has racked up $50k in credit card bills

keeping this post around for when we get a post in 12-18 mo where plama finds out wife has racked up $50k in credit card bills

My wife works for a foreign govt that isn't required to withold any taxes at all, so come April each year I get hit with that badly enough.

My wife works for a foreign govt that isn't required to withold any taxes at all, so come April each year I get hit with that badly enough.

Yeah we had that with my wife when we lived in DC but paid quarterly estimated taxes. She got paid once a month so we’d get these big fat paychecks but siphoned off quite a bit to a savings account for taxes.

speaking of cars I was thinking of a Tesla when my current car's lease is up but hell no:

https://www.theverge.com/22348668/tesla-prnd-drive-mode-park-neutral-model-s-x-refresh

Tesla decided to remove the gear-selector stalk from the steering wheel and is going to try to automate shifting between park, reverse, neutral, and drive (PRND). The company said there would be an option on the touchscreen as a backup, but it wasn’t until today that we had a sense of exactly what that looks like.

Instead of touchscreen “buttons” for each drive mode, drivers will have to tap-and-drag on a small car icon on the top-left corner of the new horizontal touchscreen. (In fact, that car icon was visible in the photos Tesla released for the refreshed Model S and Model X, though it wasn’t clear what it was for.) Drag up to put the car into drive, drag down to put the car in reverse:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back