• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat thread 1331: Just talkin’ chickens. This is better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
RIP Larry McMurtry, i think we've talked about how much Lonesome Dove kicks ass on the chat thread before

Oh shit this just ruins my day. I love his shit. The whole Lonesome Dove series is amazing

I did pick up a 6 pack of Oberon yesterday that I cannot wait to enjoy tonight while I grill. 80° & sunny after some wild storms yesterday. Spring is here.

My brother is expecting a child 3 months after ours. I’m excited for cousins.

I don’t count the ones on my wife’s side.

I started my coffee decrease process this week, trying to find the exact spot where it goes from stimulating to jittery-inducing

what do you like to read

I subscribe to too many literary journals and papers: London Review of Books, Paris Review, n+1, and The Point and they take up too much of my reading time, but I can't cut them off

every morning I read two or three LRB articles until I finish that issue (skipping 1/3 to 1/2 of articles along the way) and then once I've knocked out the LRB, I read the journals until the new LRB arrives

taking away my commute has really killed my book reading -- I'm way, way down on that and trying to get back

when summer is here and it's nice and light out late, I leave work to go the lake and read books and swim for a couple few hours every afternoon -- that's when I'm my peak reading -- 80% of the time I read novels, but the other 20% I read stuff that I don't really know how to categorize like Maggie Nelson Argonauts (crit lit, I guess) or compilations of essays from guys like John Jeremiah Sullivan

throughout the day, I read a good bit of news and essays when distracted from work and my important boards posting

Last edited:
I might love coffee more than beer and I really love beer. I only use half and half now, can't believe I used to dump creamer in there without even realizing how much it was. My friend is going to Colombia this week and bringing me back some, I can't wait.

I made a resolution to try and read a lot more books this year. Made a huge list based off some recommendations and checked out most digitally from my library. So far this year I've read about 12.

I made a resolution to try and read a lot more books this year. Made a huge list based off some recommendations and checked out most digitally from my library. So far this year I've read about 12.

nice! that's pretty good.

I'm glad my now-wife at Wake convinced me to play a musical instrument, I really wish I had started when I was younger. The Symphonic concerts I played in at Wake were so much fun because you got to be a part of a performance and experience that adrenaline rush at the end.

Been reading about 20 pages a night of Obama’s latest book which is about as dense as a bible so that’s practically immeasurable progress. I only have a few minutes to read before wife turns off the light.

Mako I approve of your Folgers purchase because I figure if you’re going to load it down with flavored creamer why bother buying more expensive good coffee that would only be appreciated black.

I did pick up a 6 pack of Oberon yesterday that I cannot wait to enjoy tonight while I grill. 80° & sunny after some wild storms yesterday. Spring is here.

An Oberon sounds fucking delightful. It is a great springtime beer. Might have to stop and get a sixer on the way home.

i have been indulging in alcohol drinks this week

brother in law is a bad influence

but also it's been incredibly special to get to spend this time together with family, my son and his lil cousin, the age difference rn between a 6 month old and a 3 month old preemie seems really staggering but as they grow up they'll be basically the same age as each other and that rules

i really like my cousin closest to me in age and getting to grow up with him was very fun and cool, though we only saw each other a couple times a year

My wife's brother and his wife, who live in the area, are expecting their first this summer/fall and I'm pumped. I'm hoping it is a boy so that they can hang and do similar shit (Which I know is outdated gender construct, but leave me alone its probably still true). Although I already told my son since he's going to be 12-14 months older that he can never lose to that kid in anything. Ever.

Oh and I'm gonna keep single posting in order to speed up Mako's reign. The people miss Brasky.

Hopefully this isn’t too political, but based on my uncle’s Facebook posts it’s not clear to me that he understands that as a government employee, his paycheck is composed of money taken from other people’s paychecks.

An Oberon sounds fucking delightful. It is a great springtime beer. Might have to stop and get a sixer on the way home.

As the young folks say, it slaps. Nothing says spring the way Oberon does. Probably my favorite beer, all things considered.

I was hoping to set the the speed record for chat completion. Cue something something completion speed mom joke.

I can tell that it’s sprint because I no longer want to drink porters and stouts.

Sitting outside drinking an AMB Low & Hazy IPA and soaking in the 80 degree weather. Glorious half day.

As the young folks say, it slaps. Nothing says spring the way Oberon does. Probably my favorite beer, all things considered.
Unknown in Charlotte has probably one of my favorite beers of all time, called Hospitalitea. It's a lager made with tea leaves and a little honey and it's amazing in the spring and summer

I want my kids to be close to their cousins and I hope with COVID vaccinations rolling out we can start spending time with them again. My wife is close to her sister and the ages of the kids works out reasonable well - my kids are 5 and 4, the cousins are 10, 7, 3 so they're close enough in age and seem to have a good time when they do see each other.

I've chosen to estrange myself from my cousins and most of my extended family so I don't know much about their lives or their childrens lives and I can assure you my kids won't know any of them. When I finally made the decision that I didn't want any part of them I felt a weight lifted off my shoulders - like I was fighting it for so long and accepting estrangement made me feel much better about it. #CTTherapy

My dad grew up really tight with his cousins and the tradition has continued to our generation. We occasionally go on vacations with my 3rd cousins, most of whom are around my age(and rich as shit so that doesn't hurt either) .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back