• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What rounds will Boogie, Sage, & Newman get drafted?

I disagree. Reasonable best case is he is QB 3 on the active roster and they have a few specific situation "packages" for him, much like New Orleans did with their backup QB last few years.

You're nuts. If Newman makes it on the field this year it's because everyone in the organization is hurt and Vinny Testaverde doesn't feel like getting off the sofa. Additionally, Newman doesn't have any unique talents that would indicate you'd develop a special package for him, especially when your starting quareterback is Jalen Fucking Hurts.

Jamie is 3 inches taller and 20 pounds heavier than Hurts. Goal line/short yardage option plays. Newman's arm strength or lack wouldn't be a factor with only a few yards needed. We have seen what kind of a load he is to bring down when he runs.

The Eagles did not sign Newman with this in mind. They signed him to see if he sucks or not.

Did I catch a Taysom Hill comp for Newman in this thread? And people are criticizing Sig as the unrealistic one? Okey dokey.

To add to my earlier post, my thoughts on Newman are based on (1) my lack of belief in his abilities as a NFL qb; and (2) Wolford's experience with the Jets, where he was also cut so that they could sign Davis Webb.

But Pilch is welcome to continue to say I am too negative :noidea:.

Will be fun to see how it plays out. FWIW, Newman was a far higher rated pro prospect heading into the draft and free agency than Wolford. The Eagles have 3 QBs on the training camp roster. IIRC, in 2018, the Jets they had Josh McCown, Teddy Bridgewater and Sam Darnold in camp along with Wolford, and there may have been other QBs as well.

The difference between Wolford and Newman is that, with the Eagles, Newman will have to lose the job to not make the practice squad; Wolford was never expected to make the Jets. Newman hasn't played a football game since the 2019 Birmingham Bowl; so, it's certainly possible that early in camp the Eagles will determine that Newman simply has no chance to ever contribute, but Newman is in a good spot. He has enough talent to at least get a shot.

I'm done talking about Jamie Newman until training camp. Hopefully he plays better than he did in the Senior Bowl.

Jamie is 3 inches taller and 20 pounds heavier than Hurts. Goal line/short yardage option plays. Newman's arm strength or lack wouldn't be a factor with only a few yards needed. We have seen what kind of a load he is to bring down when he runs.

More like 1 inch and 12 lbs. They're basically the same size.

I'm done talking about Jamie Newman until training camp. Hopefully he plays better than he did in the Senior Bowl.

This is far less likely than Newman making the roster.

Eagles made the right call in signing Jamie Newman as their QB3

second to only Joe Burrow in the entire nation. He had just one play deemed ‘turnover worthy’ in 71 passes. Of those 71 passes, 13 went for touchdowns and only 3 ended in a turnover.

Without much in the way of a dominant receiving target who could generate separation, most of his throws were launched into tight windows, where his accuracy issues and lack of zip at times were displayed. According to PFF, 53.2% of his passes that season were thrown into tight windows, which is 5% higher than any other quarterback, showing just how little Newman had to work with and contextualizing why he grew lenient on his athletic ability to bail the offense out of tricky spots.

So what the Eagles may have stumbled upon is a quarterback who has the size, arm-talent, and athletic ability to develop into a serviceable starter at the next level, and a player who had he played in 2020, may well have cost them a lot more than a simple UDFA contract. The better news is that the team now have the right pieces in place to help him take that next step.

QB Coach Press Taylor was replaced with Florida’s Brian Johnson, who unlike his predecessor, actually had a strong background developing talent at the collegiate level. From coaching up future Dallas Cowboys Dak Prescott to three consecutive bowl games, to getting the best out of Kyle Trask and helping him ascend from a backup to a second-round pick, there’s a lot to like here, especially when it comes to Jamie Newman.
“Jamie is an impressive — he’s got great stature. He’s a big man.” Head Coach Nick Sirianni said during rookie minicamp. “As we watch tape on him, too, he’s hard to bring down. He’s a really good athlete, hard to bring down. He’s really sharp in the classroom. You can see why he was successful at Wake Forest when he was there. You know, he’s got qualities that you want to be able to develop, and so good first day for Jamie.”
Whether or not Jamie Newman can develop into a future QB2 for Jalen Hurts is going to be the big question that hangs over his head during his time in Philadelphia, but it’s not as if the Eagles went all-in on the assumption that the future is already written. However, they’ve assembled a strong coaching staff who could absolutely be perfectly positioned to squeeze every last drop of juice out of him and take his play to a level much higher than Nate Sudfeld could ever reach.

[/URL]

Not sure I agree with that analysis. What I saw was Sage bailing out Newman quite a bit on contested balls. Surratt may not have had the burst to get great separation but he absolutely manhandled DBs at the catch.

At the NFL Combine Jalen Hurts measured 6 foot 1 inch (73 inches).

Newman is listed at either 6-3 (NFL.com) or 6-4 (WF roster). That is a significant difference from 6-1. FWIW, Hurts reputation at Bama and OK was that he had unreal strength, particularly leg drive. The Eagles list him at 223. Newman is 234. Newman is a bigger player. The difference is not massive, but not insignificant.

Newman is listed at either 6-3 (NFL.com) or 6-4 (WF roster). That is a significant difference from 6-1. FWIW, Hurts reputation at Bama and OK was that he had unreal strength, particularly leg drive. The Eagles list him at 223. Newman is 234. Newman is a bigger player. The difference is not massive, but not insignificant.

Hurts was a standout power lifter in HS IIRC and can squat 600 pounds. Absurd.

Newman came in at 6-2 at the combine. Needless to say, weight fluctuates from one day to the next. One man is an inch taller than the other. Two weigh ins have them about 10-15 lbs apart. They’re basically the same size.

Hurts played smaller at Alabama (not as much at Oklahoma) and Newman played bigger at Wake. That’s why the difference seems shocking.

Newman measured 74.88 inches at the combine: 6 foot 3 inches.

Opting out proved to be a fatal mistake for both. Those working from home didn't quit their jobs and take unemployment. Newman and Sage had the opportunity to continue and chose not to. Simple as that, my work never missed a day of being in the office and not one person ever thought about not coming in.

Nope.

The Newman and Surratt opt outs essentially opted both of them out of the draft. :(

In Sage's case, the 4.65 hurt at least as badly as the opt out did. He'd have been better off not running and blaming it on the surgery. But as I said a few pages back, sometimes you're better off not getting drafted because then you can look at all 32 situations and figure out the best destination for making a roster. And I think Sage picked a great situation because of Detroit's utter lack of quality WRs. I also think Newman chose wisely to sit behind Hurts because he has a similar skill set. If he shows anything in the preseason, he should make the PS, though I think he'd really have to ball out to make the roster. I doubt Philly keeps 3.

There are examples of guys who sat out and got drafted high. So I don’t think that was the sole death knell for our two. It was a combination of factors but playing certainly could’ve helped address some of them. Then again maybe it would’ve exposed them. I guess we will see this fall if they really have what it takes to make it in the NFL.

I think it’s really hard to judge athletes for not playing during a pandemic that no one really understood. There were concerns over long-term health.

I can say I’m less concerned about those one year Covid examples than I am the examples of guys just leaving early or transferring. I guess it’s the way of the world now. Dortch, KWIII, Jamie... we’re the type of program that needs to hold onto the players we’ve developed.

Opting out proved to be a fatal mistake for both. Those working from home didn't quit their jobs and take unemployment. Newman and Sage had the opportunity to continue and chose not to. Simple as that, my work never missed a day of being in the office and not one person ever thought about not coming in.

Think it through. People had the opportunity to WFH and continue their jobs, football players didn't. But hey, you could have have toughened up and continued to go in.

Back