• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What rounds will Boogie, Sage, & Newman get drafted?

Because there will be plenty of QBs available at the end of the preseason that the Eagles may want more as a backup/emergency/practice squad QB than Newman.

Negativity just comes naturally to Sig.

At a minimum, Newman will make the practice squad with the Eagles unless he does something stupid, like miss meetings, get in a fight with another player or have an off-the-field f-up. Not only does the Eagles roster make it likely, Newman fits the profile of practice squad player: talented, raw, high ceiling, lacking experience. Also, last year, the NFL increased the number of practice squaders per team to 12 (it will increase again to 14 in 2022). Lots of teams stash QBs on their practice squad. Newman will be one of them.

Facepalm

I'll admit that I was wrong- like Biff, I figured he'd make it through at least some pre-season camp before being cut. Plich?

I'm sorry to hear that for Newman and wish him the best of luck. The Eagles only currently have two QBs so Newman was really competing against himself for the QB3 role. It makes you wonder if Roseman has plans to add someone else as QB3.

He certainly does. Someone who is definitely not Jamie Newman.

Newman is already the Eagles 3rd QB with the signing, and their 2nd is Joe Flacco. If Hurts ends up being a disaster, I'd imagine Newman would be given opportunities at the end of the season over Flacco assuming Newman shows them something in practice.

This is the first time that I can tell in my Wake/Eagles fandom history that the Eagles have had a Deacon.

You know what that say about assuming.

Word coming out of Philly minicamp that Newman sanitized the football after every snap.

Newman was the only UDFA the Eagles signed that received no signing bonus or guaranteed money.

Can UDFAs sit out another year to prepare for next year's NFL draft?

99% chance Philly drafts JT Daniels next year. Newman just opting out early.

Newman was the only UDFA the Eagles signed that received no signing bonus or guaranteed money.

Can UDFAs sit out another year to prepare for next year's NFL draft?

His agent should be burning up phones looking for somebody to sign him now. No need to wait.

https://www.si.com/college/georgia/news/jamie-newman-waived-by-eagles

Newman apparently lost a lot of his edge after an agent undermined his appreciation for WF and Clawson.
Apparently, rumors of rough performance in Georgia may have been more accurate than not.
A series of suboptimal decisions really derailed what should have been a good start to an NFL career.

Moral to the story? Don’t bet against Clawson for developing players willing to stay focused.

Last edited:
Really sad. Whoever was whispering in his ear for the past 18 months has made a huge mess and misled him terribly.

At least he has his Wake Forest University diploma to fall back on.

I hear real estate is hot right now, so that's a possible path?

Looks like I was wrong about Jamie. I thought he had all the physical tools to be a backup QB in the NFL. Sounds like family Covid may have cost him some focus. That is carer killing in the NFL.

Also, as noted above, it sounds like his agent did him no favors. Trashing the place where Jamie had succes is not good agent work.

https://www.si.com/college/georgia/news/jamie-newman-waived-by-eagles

Newman apparently lost a lot of his edge after an agent undermined his appreciation for WF and Clawson.
Apparently, rumors of rough performance in Georgia may have been more accurate than not.
A series of suboptimal decisions really derailed what should have been a good start to an NFL career.

Moral to the story? Don’t bet against Clawson for developing players willing to stay focused.

Do you have a link for the losing his edge stuff or is that your own speculation?

Maybe the Eagles practice squad didn't have two giant receivers to bail him out and make him look better than he really was. Maybe the coaching staff wasn't impressed when the receivers had a step on the DB and Jamie underthrew it, forcing the receiver to slow down and make a circus catch.

The rapidity of the collapse of Jamie Newman is stunning.

A year ago, he had transferred to UGA, by all accounts he was expected to start on a top 10 team, he was among the top 5 preseason candidates for the Heisman (he had better odds to win the Heisman than Zach Wilson and Mack Jones at one point), and was a lock to be at least a mid-round draft pick, and in position to play himself into a 1st round pick in the 2021 draft, depending on how he developed at UGA.

Less than a year later, he never took a competitive snap at UGA, quit allegedly because of COVID, played poorly at the Senior Bowl, did not get drafted, and was cut by the Eagles more than a month before training camp even started. With Newman gone, the Eagles only have two QBs on the roster, NFL typically keep at least 4 QBs on the training camp roster to have enough arms to throw to the receivers. Newman couldn't even make it long enough to be an extra arm to ensure the receivers get work. Wow.

Maybe the Eagles practice squad didn't have two giant receivers to bail him out and make him look better than he really was. Maybe the coaching staff wasn't impressed when the receivers had a step on the DB and Jamie underthrew it, forcing the receiver to slow down and make a circus catch.

Maybe Dave Clawson's offense made him look a lot better than he actually is.

Maybe Dave Clawson's offense made him look a lot better than he actually is.

I’ve been saying this since he announced he was in the portal. I found it comical that he thought another offensive style would suit him better than Wake’s.

Back