• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What rounds will Boogie, Sage, & Newman get drafted?

out of all the bad decisions made over the years by Wake athletes about leaving early, I think Jamie Newman's is the worst. Just baffling decision making on his part.

out of all the bad decisions made over the years by Wake athletes about leaving early, I think Jamie Newman's is the worst. Just baffling decision making on his part.

I agree completely. Dortch hurt, but I don't think his draft profile would have looked much different after another year. Injuries were an issue for Sage, so at least that's a legit reason to consider taking the year and getting healthy for the combine. Neither one left Wake for another school.

At least he has his Wake Forest University diploma to fall back on.

I hear real estate is hot right now, so that's a possible path?

Or maybe he can parlay his masters degree from UGA into a nice career. Anybody know what program he enrolled in, and is it a 2-year or has he already graduated?

I still say he knew he was on his way out before the bowl game vs MSU. I wish he would've saved everyone's time and opted out of the bowl game which is what he essentially did anyways.

I’ve been saying this since he announced he was in the portal. I found it comical that he thought another offensive style would suit him better than Wake’s.

Exactly. If he was successful at UGA, it would have been because he was used similarly to how WFU used him - because that is what he is so good at (or can be so good at).

Exactly. If he was successful at UGA, it would have been because he was used similarly to how WFU used him - because that is what he is so good at (or can be so good at).

Well there is literal evidence out there from UGA’s spring camp of them switching to an RPO style once Newman got there and I bet that pissed him off. He wanted to play in a pro style that’s why he picked UGA. Kirby isn’t stupid enough to not see Newman for what he was, a top class RPO QB. He was definitely not stupid enough to play this RPO QB in a pro style offense against SEC defenses. Smart was doing what any good coach would do and play to his players’ strengths. I’m assuming that got into Newman’s head and made him perform like shit and disappoint the UGA staff. Yada yada yada I had the lobster bisque and Newman is back in Durham with nothing to show for the insane numbers he put up for Wake in 15 starts.

Well there is literal evidence out there from UGA’s spring camp of them switching to an RPO style once Newman got there and I bet that pissed him off. He wanted to play in a pro style that’s why he picked UGA. Kirby isn’t stupid enough to not see Newman for what he was, a top class RPO QB. He was definitely not stupid enough to play this RPO QB in a pro style offense against SEC defenses. Smart was doing what any good coach would do and play to his players’ strengths. I’m assuming that got into Newman’s head and made him perform like shit and disappoint the UGA staff. Yada yada yada I had the lobster bisque and Newman is back in Durham with nothing to show for the insane numbers he put up for Wake in 15 starts.

Newman is from Graham. Kendall Hinton is from Durham.

I get that some people are shocked by Newman's fall.

There was a significant contingent on the board that doubted all of these moves from the outset. His "incredible success" at Wake was bolstered by a handful of crucial plays like Hinton's 4th down game-winning leaping catch, or Sage winning an absurd number of jump balls in close games. When Newman sucked in his last bowl game and got pulled for Hartman way too late, some excused it with injury talk, but plenty of posters saw the missed short throws, lack of timing, and recipe of a big d-line plus double coverage on his top receiver as predictably successful in derailing him. Plenty of eyebrows were raised over Donovan's Greene's numbers when he suddenly got some looks from Hartman.

But look what the media is saying! Look at the mock drafts! UGA guaranteed him the starting job in a pro-style offense, Clawson must have misused him! Remember the arguments about how Clawson's style held Jamie back and was bad for Wake overall because no QB's would want to come here?

This isn't a told-ya-so argument, it's just pointing out that all that criticism of Clawson and his offense, the indignation about any Hartman vs. Newman argument as crazy, etc. - well it turns out Clawson had a much better approach to Newman's skillsets than all the whisperers, agents, and folks that got caught up in the hype machine did. And there were plenty of fans who recognized that reality even before Newman's last year at Wake.

Maybe those of us who remember the Caldwell years are less likely to take Clawson for granted, hopefully players who watched the Newman debacle will think the same way. Clawson and Wake are not what is holding these players back.

Other than Jessie Bates, I can't think of a wake Football player who actually made a solid decision to leave school early?

Completely different story in hoops as Chris Paul, Aminu, James Johnson, and Teague all made decisions that turned into long pro careers and tens of millions of dollars. But football? Yikes.

edit: I guess you could argue Chris Givens as he was a 4th round pick and played 4 years in the NFL.

I feel like Abbate's decision was possibly worse.

Eh he feels like a guy who was just never going to be an NFL player. Incredible college player, great story but coming back wouldn’t have changed his future in football IMO.

Eh he feels like a guy who was just never going to be an NFL player. Incredible college player, great story but coming back wouldn’t have changed his future in football IMO.

Exactly, so why leave early? I can't remember if he'd finished his degree or not, but either way, finish or work on a grad degree.

Starting to think that Jamie is just not a good practice QB - might need a real crowd and all that to get himself mentally into playing and that you're not going to last long in the NFL as a QB3 if you don't look good in practice.

Starting to think that Jamie is just not a good practice QB - might need a real crowd and all that to get himself mentally into playing and that you're not going to last long in the NFL as a QB3 if you don't look good in practice.

I agree with this. He was an afterthought here until he was forced into action. But being a gamer isn't enough to succeed in the NFL, especially for a likely backup whose main job will be in practice.

Other than Jessie Bates, I can't think of a wake Football player who actually made a solid decision to leave school early?

Completely different story in hoops as Chris Paul, Aminu, James Johnson, and Teague all made decisions that turned into long pro careers and tens of millions of dollars. But football? Yikes.

edit: I guess you could argue Chris Givens as he was a 4th round pick and played 4 years in the NFL.

Rodney Rogers was the 9th pick in the 1993 NBA draft after leaving one year early.

I think it was PH who mentioned that Newman's highlight video looked more like WR highlights with all the jump balls/great catches.

I like Newman. I'm thankful I got to watch us beat UNC, State, and Duke in person in one season. That's a legit accomplishment. He was a good passer and a great runner and the offense was fun to watch with him leading it. He got horrible advice.

I think he got bad advice in not staying here, playing, probably getting drafted higher, and at least make some initial money wherever he signed. However it sounds like he wasn’t going to stick for the long run in the NFL regardless, unless he shows some new team something.

His decision didn’t appear to cost him long term money, because that’s what he could be setting himself up for right now, yet wasn’t even good enough to make it to July.

So the cost to his decision was whatever money he could’ve made in the short term, and his legacy as a Deacon.

Back