• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What rounds will Boogie, Sage, & Newman get drafted?

I think the hope is that skipping the season proves to be a poor choice for both Newman and Sage. That is what this draft will reveal for both.

I hope they both get drafted (sooner rather than later) and that both succeed and come back to Wake frequently. But I'm lying if I don't admit some frustration with Newman. I guess we can blame it on a kid getting bad advice, but it really sucks that he left.

I hope they both get drafted (sooner rather than later) and that both succeed and come back to Wake frequently. But I'm lying if I don't admit some frustration with Newman. I guess we can blame it on a kid getting bad advice, but it really sucks that he left.

If no covid, it was the right choice for him. Look, if want to be frustrated with someone, be frustrated with Clawson. Newman was going to be in a off season battle for the starting spot. There were no guarantees he was going to be our QB1. If - big if - he lost the starting job in a non-pro ready offense to Hartman, it would REALLY be hard to get drafted. He transferred to a program playing a pro style offense who had just lost their starting QB to the draft and nobody coming in save a young kid coming off brain surgery - it was as close to a no brainer as they come. Covid changed everything - he was a less insolar environment and, because of COVID, another one or two QBs with talent and playing experience were able to transfer in last minute with immediate eligibility. He probably still was the starting QB based on practice results, but for whatever reason felt the risks outweighted the rewards.

But anyway, he was in a 2 year battle with Sam and the third year it was near dead even. Sam could redshirt; Jamie couldn't/shouldn't, so he was QB1 to save Sam. End of story.

You can argue that Jamie is a better college QB than Sam because of X and Y, but that still doesn't change the facts above. Just more reason to be a little frustrated with Clawson.

If no covid, it was the right choice for him. Look, if want to be frustrated with someone, be frustrated with Clawson. Newman was going to be in a off season battle for the starting spot. There were no guarantees he was going to be our QB1. If - big if - he lost the starting job in a non-pro ready offense to Hartman, it would REALLY be hard to get drafted. He transferred to a program playing a pro style offense who had just lost their starting QB to the draft and nobody coming in save a young kid coming off brain surgery - it was as close to a no brainer as they come. Covid changed everything - he was a less insolar environment and, because of COVID, another one or two QBs with talent and playing experience were able to transfer in last minute with immediate eligibility. He probably still was the starting QB based on practice results, but for whatever reason felt the risks outweighted the rewards.

But anyway, he was in a 2 year battle with Sam and the third year it was near dead even. Sam could redshirt; Jamie couldn't/shouldn't, so he was QB1 to save Sam. End of story.

You can argue that Jamie is a better college QB than Sam because of X and Y, but that still doesn't change the facts above. Just more reason to be a little frustrated with Clawson.

Your issue with Clawson was not keeping Newman as the starter without going through off season competition or the messaging around his decision? Newman wasn’t great at times.

The Athletic’s draft guide has Boogie in the 2nd, Newman 6th to 7th and Sage in the 6th.

Boogie - early 2nd, and he'll be good value there. Look at one of the teams going QB or WR at the top of the draft to add him in the first 10 picks of 2nd
Jaime - 4th, and over-drafted due to the run on QBs early (Lawrence/Wilson/Lance/Fields/Jones Rd1, Trask/Mond Rd2. Jaime is in the next group)
Sage - 6th, he's a bit of a tweener with bad Pro Day numbers in a loaded WR class

Idk what you guys are smokin, but every mock site I've seen, as far as I can tell, has Boogie has the 4th-7th DE drafted....

Ain't no way there's gonna be 4 or 5 DE's taken in the first round to get him up there.

I'm gonna say

Late 2nd-Early 3rd
7th
6th

Every mock I see has Boogie late first or early second.

Pretty sure it's not unusual at all to have 4-5 DE/EDGE players drafted in the 1st round. They're kind of important.

It’d be pretty frustrating to see Newman get drafted before Sage.

Funny that the WF followers on the Board are generally more pessimistic about the draft prospects of WF athletes than the national prognosticators. Will be interesting to see how the draft turns out.

Everyone agrees on Boogie. The question comes with Newman and Surratt. Unless you're a Farley or a Chase, sitting out has hurt players' draft stock. Biff said it with Newman - he hasn't played much and sat out last year. I think he's only being considered as back-up competition at this point. But I think he could be a mid-late day 3 selection by a team that has a mobile QB, but teams often only keep 2 QBs. That's why I said I think he has a better chance of being selected, but Sage may have the better chance of being on the active roster. I down graded Sage because of that awful 40 time.

Everyone agrees on Boogie. The question comes with Newman and Surratt. Unless you're a Farley or a Chase, sitting out has hurt players' draft stock. Biff said it with Newman - he hasn't played much and sat out last year. I think he's only being considered as back-up competition at this point. But I think he could be a mid-late day 3 selection by a team that has a mobile QB, but teams often only keep 2 QBs. That's why I said I think he has a better chance of being selected, but Sage may have the better chance of being on the active roster. I down graded Sage because of that awful 40 time.

Sewell and Slater could be added to that list too.

What rounds will Boogie, Sage, & Newman get drafted?

The top guys who sat out had awards or measurables. Sage and Newman were developmental prospects who don’t have enough tape and their numbers don’t stand out.

Last edited:
The top guys who sat out had awards or measurables. Sage and Newman were developmental prospects who don’t have enough tape and their numbers don’t stand out.

His actual football numbers were pretty darn good - had 1K yards in his 2nd season before being sidelined with an injury. But that 40 time.

Your issue with Clawson was not keeping Newman as the starter without going through off season competition or the messaging around his decision? Newman wasn’t great at times.

I don't have an issue with Clawson at all. I think the QB is such an important position you should have to win the job each year (in college). But folks who benedict arnold newman are pointing their fingers at the wrong guy. Newman was trying to protect his draft position, the one he earned with a phenomenal first 8 games of 2019. The best guarantee was to go to a pro style offensive team with lesser competition. He did that. I don't think it is fair - look at Wolford - but pro scouts consider our offense "gimmicky"

If you can't beat out Sam Hartman your NFL draft potential is shit. And running away from the job at Georgia doesn't improve your draft potential either.

His actual football numbers were pretty darn good - had 1K yards in his 2nd season before being sidelined with an injury. But that 40 time.

Yeah. That one season. He needed to do that again, stay healthy, and put up some crazy number to stay on the radar.

Mel Kiper listed 36 wrs who could go in the first two rounds, none of them were named Sage.

Back