• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What rounds will Boogie, Sage, & Newman get drafted?

Defector of all places recently put out an article on how this could be one of the thinner NFL drafts in recent history, due to the extra year of eligibility.

https://defector.com/this-could-be-the-thinnest-nfl-draft-in-living-memory/

There are a few different ways to measure the number of NFL prospects in a year, but perhaps the most telling is to look at the number of players who have signed a standard representation agreement with an NFL agent. Signing an SRA doesn’t guarantee the player is going to be drafted or even signed as an undrafted free agent, but it is proof that someone thinks they have a shot.

By mid-April of 2019, 1,972 players had signed an SRA. By mid-April of 2020, 1,839 players had signed.

This year, as of April 7, that number was only 657.

Simply put, this is a really good time to be a late-round/free-agent caliber prospect.

“You are going to see some PFAs [priority free agents, or the top tier of undrafted prospects] going in round 6 and 7 this year,” said NFL agent Christian Kranz, of Generation Sports Group. “Next year there are going to be 2000 or more kids in the draft, so guys who would go in 6 and 7 [this year] are going to be low-money camp bodies [next year] because the talent is going to be so rich.”

I hadn't thought of it this way, but guys looking at later rounds, such as some of the Wake players being discussed, it may have been financially advantageous to come out this year.

Scout's take on Sage, posted from a NYG board:

18. Sage Surratt / Wake Forest / 6’3-209

Grader: 76

Summary: Fourth year junior entry from Lincolnton, North Carolina. Two-year starter that opted out of the 2020 season. Really broke out of his shell in 2019 where he led the Power 5 conferences with 1,001 receiving yards prior to getting injured and missing the rest of the year. The former High School North Carolina Player of the Year in both football and basketball scored 2,951 points on the hardwood, 2nd all time in the history of the state. His skill set on the field is very much a product of that basketball success, as he shows elite ability to attack the ball once it is in the air. His understanding of how to work around defenders bodies with ease and fluidity will make him a QB-friendly target at the next level. His lack of top end speed and ability after the catch will keep him out of the elite tier, but this is a player that will help an offense early and often.

*I had to bump Surratt down a notch. He had a really poor Pro Day workout and there are also a few notes about his lack of motivation that I received. This discouraged me a little extra because I really want to like Surratt. I love how he attacks the ball, and his 2019 tape is some of the best I have seen out of this group. I knew there were some athleticism issues from watching the tape, but his times lead to some extra negativity here. I still would love to see NYG take a chance on him day 3 if they ignore WR early.

I'm guessing the "lack of motivation" knock is a product of his chill demeanor and decision to sit out.

I'm guessing the "lack of motivation" knock is a product of his chill demeanor and decision to sit out.

Yeah, outside of some 1st rounders, the latter rounders who sat out are losing a round or 2 on most of the draft sites. And at the Ravens Liars Lunch a couple days ago, they were saying they were giving iffier grades on the guys who sat out. My interpretation of that comment is they're trying to drive down the price of some of those guys so they can hope to get 1 or 2 cheap on day 3.

I've got both Surratt brothers penciled in as drafted by Seattle. Chazz in the 2nd rd, not sure about Sage.

Chazz makes sense as Seattle's linebackers are getting a little long in the tooth and I believe KJ Wright and Bobby Wagner were both slightly underweight linebackers coming out of college. Wright is big now, but I think Bobby Wagner was a college safety until his senior year. Anyway, they need help on the OL and at linebacker.

Russell Wilson throws such a beautiful ball and his long ball timing allows his wide receivers lots of time to use their ball skills, which would be perfect for Sage. Really hope it happens as I am Seattle fan for 25 years (after living there a few years).

Seattle also has a recent history of signing brothers, they had the Griffin brothers on their roster for the last three years.

Feel good about Boogie. Not such a good feeling with the other two. Jamie's last performance was horrible resulting in being benched. No performances for one and a half years. Didn't go through with pro day. Hard to make a case for him in the earlier rounds. Sage is a tremendous athlete, but there are a lot of them in the draft.

Feel good about Boogie. Not such a good feeling with the other two. Jamie's last performance was horrible resulting in being benched. No performances for one and a half years. Didn't go through with pro day. Hard to make a case for him in the earlier rounds. Sage is a tremendous athlete, but there are a lot of them in the draft.

Actually, his last performance was at the Senior Bowl, which also did not impress. Although he helped propel Richie Grant to being a likely 2nd round pick when he was likely a day 3 pick before the SB.

I've got both Surratt brothers penciled in as drafted by Seattle. Chazz in the 2nd rd, not sure about Sage.

Chazz makes sense as Seattle's linebackers are getting a little long in the tooth and I believe KJ Wright and Bobby Wagner were both slightly underweight linebackers coming out of college. Wright is big now, but I think Bobby Wagner was a college safety until his senior year. Anyway, they need help on the OL and at linebacker.

Russell Wilson throws such a beautiful ball and his long ball timing allows his wide receivers lots of time to use their ball skills, which would be perfect for Sage. Really hope it happens as I am Seattle fan for 25 years (after living there a few years).

Seattle also has a recent history of signing brothers, they had the Griffin brothers on their roster for the last three years.

I think the concern is that Sage can't catch up to Russ' balls with his slow 40 time. I don't feel good about his draft prospects, but I do think he'll go somewhere and prove it on the field to make a practice team.

I think the concern is that Sage can't catch up to Russ' balls with his slow 40 time. I don't feel good about his draft prospects, but I do think he'll go somewhere and prove it on the field to make a practice team.

Can't catch up? Hell, I can catch up. Russ throws frisbees. I don't know how he does it, but his balls defy gravity.

As to Jamie, thank Jacoby Brissett for 3rd or latest 4th rd pick that will be used to grab him. First, quarterbacks are always drafted way earlier than they should - with some notable exceptions (the two Super Bowl QBs, for example). Two, I think there is momentum at QB2 to have someone who is a grinder, can stay ready, and can come in and game manage and do a poor man's Colin Kapernick and have the size to run some keepers. voila. Jamie Newman.

I pretty much agree with the above sentiments. Boogie is a lock for late 2nd in my eyes.

I was always concerned about Sage's speed and his ability to get separation. He made up with it with his unbelievable hand-eye coordination and strength. Don't think that will translate to starting NFL DBs who stick like glue and know when to turn in a split second. Jamie really needed 2 more years of ball at Wake, the experience, continuity, etc to mature, develop and get more versatile and consistent. Going elsewhere would not have helped him, even if he played. Since he didn't, it made it even worse for him..

I think Sage will go before Jamie, somewhere in the 4th to 5th rounds.

Last edited:
I think that's a little low for Boogis. I think he goes 35-45 to a team that runs a 4-3.

Don't see Sage going before the 6th. I think he's best off going to a team with a mobile QB that sees more zone than man.

saw that Boogie will be one of the players with in-home cameras during the draft. how many players have we had with either that or at the draft? Guessing Curry, Kevin Johnson, maybe Bates?

I don't think Bates was at the draft. I don't think Phonz was at the draft either. Calvin Pace may have been at the draft. Don't remember.

Pretty sure our only 1st round pick from offense was Norm Snead. I was really hoping Sage or Newman could break through for us there.

Last edited:
latest CBS Mock has Basham going in the 2nd early (35th to the Bills) and Jamie going in the 5th to the Falcons around 180ish. No Sage.

I'm excited about the draft this year for quite a few reasons. Wake guys in the mix, angry and out for redemption Belichick. No good Pats QB on the roster.

latest CBS Mock has Basham going in the 2nd early (35th to the Bills) and Jamie going in the 5th to the Falcons around 180ish. No Sage.

I'm excited about the draft this year for quite a few reasons. Wake guys in the mix, angry and out for redemption Belichick. No good Pats QB on the roster.

Who do you want at QB if you trade up to 7? The 2 QBs most likely to slide are Fields and Jones, if SF takes Lance.

Who do you want at QB if you trade up to 7? The 2 QBs most likely to slide are Fields and Jones, if SF takes Lance.

I don't really know enough about these QB's to say anything intelligent but I'll weigh in anyway. Every time I look at a list there is a new red hot prospect that someone is saying the Patriots should take. I have a hard time buying into the Trey Lance hype and I feel like almost any average QB could have been throwing the ball at Bama and looked good. I'd probably pick Fields if forced to pick between Fields and Jones. My dream is that we find this year's Justin Herbert. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Belichick does something absolutely crazy and trades DOWN and then takes some QB who was barely in the Top 10 like Brady White from Memphis or Trask from Florida if they could get him late. Pats have so many needs so I'm not convinced they'll use their first rounder on a QB despite every pundit thinking they will.

Back