• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What rounds will Boogie, Sage, & Newman get drafted?

Going to research this now but I wonder who was the highest pick who opted out

(edited to note that I just discovered Rashawn Slater who opted out at Northwestern this year was picked 13th in the draft after significant speculation that he might fall).

Last edited:
Sage would have undoubtedly been one of the top receivers in the nation again last season and drafted in the top 4 rounds had he played. I think you can make the same argument for Jamie had he stayed at Wake.

What rounds will Boogie, Sage, & Newman get drafted?

Plenty of guys win or get stats and don’t get drafted.

Going to research this now but I wonder who was the highest pick who opted out

Lance went 3 and his team only played one game. Chase went 5 after opting out. Waddle went 6 after being injured most of the season. Sewell went 7 after opting out.

Opting out or missing time didn’t hurt the top players on the board.

Sage would have undoubtedly been one of the top receivers in the nation again last season and drafted in the top 4 rounds had he played. I think you can make the same argument for Jamie had he stayed at Wake.

I think Jaime would have split / lost time to Sam and the result may not have been any different. But that's just my opinion based on the fact Sam had multiple years left and had been trending upward.

Honestly if we have Jamie and Sage on the roster last year, both are day 2 picks. Jamie possibly could have even been a first rounder. Just not enough tape on either due to opting out and injuries. Difference is several million for both. I hope Clawson uses this as his examples to the next crop of young players thinking about leaving earlier than they should. Let your coach, who recruited you and helped develop be a part of your inner circle when deciding what to do. Some, like Jessie Bates, may be ready for the next step. But most are not until they have been in the program 4-5 years

Newman had more starts than Lance or Jones.

Saying what was said months ago, Jamie leaving saved us some hard decisions.

It's official, Jamie signed with the Eagles and Sage signed with the Lions. Excited to follow all 3 of the new NFL Deacs this offseason.

Neither could have done any worse in the draft if they stayed at Wake. Surratt would have been a day 2 pick, he cost himself tons of money. What confounds me about him is that he didn't opt back in. Who ever was in his ear is an idiot. Jamie just looks like a coward, bailing on wake and then bailing on UGA when he wasn't assured the starting job. More cautionary tales from the annals of Wake football history.

Well the John Abbate cautionary tale didn't work. The Dortch cautionary tale didn't work. Maybe these cautionary tales will work. Newman is what it is. But Sage is just strange. His brother stayed in and worked his way into being a 2nd round pick. I don't think it's about people in his ear.

Neither could have done any worse in the draft if they stayed at Wake. Surratt would have been a day 2 pick, he cost himself tons of money. What confounds me about him is that he didn't opt back in. Who ever was in his ear is an idiot. Jamie just looks like a coward, bailing on wake and then bailing on UGA when he wasn't assured the starting job. More cautionary tales from the annals of Wake football history.

I’m a big fan of both kids and will root my ass off for them to do well. But yeah this is spot on. big mistakes. Additions to dortch and abbate on the list of “what could have beens”

Well the John Abbate cautionary tale didn't work. The Dortch cautionary tale didn't work. Maybe these cautionary tales will work. Newman is what it is. But Sage is just strange. His brother stayed in and worked his way into being a 2nd round pick. I don't think it's about people in his ear.

I wonder if Sage's injury was worse than we thought. There were never any specifics about exact type of injury released (at least that I saw). Maybe he wasn't 100% when it was time to decide and so opting out felt like an easy decision?? Feel bad for the kid, he showed a lot of promise and I'd have preferred seeing him get a solid money deal.

Turns out that not playing football when football was available to those that wanted to play was a bad idea. Also, quitting on two teams within a few months, as a QB, also a bad idea.

Honestly if we have Jamie and Sage on the roster last year, both are day 2 picks. Jamie possibly could have even been a first rounder. Just not enough tape on either due to opting out and injuries. Difference is several million for both. I hope Clawson uses this as his examples to the next crop of young players thinking about leaving earlier than they should. Let your coach, who recruited you and helped develop be a part of your inner circle when deciding what to do. Some, like Jessie Bates, may be ready for the next step. But most are not until they have been in the program 4-5 years

What would make Surratt a second rounder next year after being an UDFA this year?

Seeing Sage go undrafted really reminded me of Dortch. Sage is one of the best players I can remember watching at Wake and I’m bummed we never got to see him achieve what he should have, which is probably a late 2nd early 3rd round selection.

I think Jaime would have split / lost time to Sam and the result may not have been any different. But that's just my opinion based on the fact Sam had multiple years left and had been trending upward.

Jamie is way better than Sam. Offense worked better with Jamie as well. Sucks for both him and Sage, obviously in hindsight they both shoulda played. Sucks.
Sage’s 40 time killed him, not sure why he ran at pro day if he was running that slowly.

It's crazy that two of the best football players I've ever seen at Wake went undrafted after quitting on the Deacs. I know everyone is thinking karma sucks but no one's said it yet. So I'll do it for y'all.

Back