• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Have you or any close family member to you ever run for public office?

I ran for office in a small town in Maine. Ended up losing by one vote to a former POTUS. Did get engaged to my long-time gf in the end though. Still thinking about running for Governor.

my grandfather was a District Court Judge in whatever district Lumberton was (is?) in back in the day

I was elected to student council without knowing I was running.

I'm thinking about it. Seriously. Only problem is that I live in a heavy Dem district at all levels and the incumbents who are currently in place at the federal and state level seem to be pretty decent people who would be hard to defeat even if I thought they needed to be replaced. My fingers are crossed that the GOP redistricts us back into the 5th so I can run a Scorched Earth campaign against Virginia Foxx.

my grandfather was a District Court Judge in whatever district Lumberton was (is?) in back in the day

I'm originally from down that way; looking forward to the upcoming "Moment of Truth" documentary.

I'm thinking about it. Seriously. Only problem is that I live in a heavy Dem district at all levels and the incumbents who are currently in place at the federal and state level seem to be pretty decent people who would be hard to defeat even if I thought they needed to be replaced. My fingers are crossed that the GOP redistricts us back into the 5th so I can run a Scorched Earth campaign against Virginia Foxx.

shit, I might have to move back to Winston for this

better not delete your posts or change your name like a coward

I will donate money to this if it happens

I've considered it/have had it suggested to me that I should (usually after I make some even-keeled, logical, reasonable statement in response to a Big event).
It's precisely for all those reasons that I probably never will. I am all about finding the reason and logic in situations and then actually working towards a solution. Even just with how closely I need to work with the city council here, I am far too aware that reason and logic is thrown out the window on a routine basis. Politicians become puppets of those helping them get votes; heaven forbid they act in a collaborative way and upset their base. Even if you do find the occasional person who is there with good intentions, they quickly succumb to the partisan game because trying to negotiate with political megalomaniacs is a losing game for everyone. I've decided I'm far more content working behind the curtain to actually get the work done than be the mouthpiece. Plus, I would never want to put my family in that public of a spotlight. More power to the folks that go through with it, but it's just not for me with a young family (and especially not with the stepfamily dynamic as it is now).

Back