• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Infrastructure bill thread

I work with a lot of international colleagues that sometimes end up here for their career, something like healthcare simply blows their mind, like just can’t even comprehend what the fuck we are doing.

So why did your international colleagues leave the shangri-la of their former countries to come to a shithole like the US that doesn't even offer universal healthcare?

I work with a lot of international colleagues that sometimes end up here for their career, something like healthcare simply blows their mind, like just can’t even comprehend what the fuck we are doing.

yeah but my Finnish colleagues always stop in CVS when visiting here to stock up on things like cold medicine and Advil since their OTC stuff is much weaker

What’s the deal with junebug laundering his pro Trump shit through yet another name change.

So why did your international colleagues leave the shangri-la of their former countries to come to a shithole like the US that doesn't even offer universal healthcare?

To learn a specialized skill, receive training, career development etc... before returning to their country that cares about their well being.

Why is the country that cares about their well being unable to provide the skills, training, or career development that a shithole 3rd world nation like the US has the ability to provide?

Makes you wonder

Not surprising that a rube like yourself doesn’t recognize that the world is full of people and institutions to learn from and that America first, America fuck yeah is just to make your shitty life have some positive spin to it.

maybe brad doesn't know that you're not allowed to just up and move to most countries, especially not European countries

Would a third world country have a bar with mermaids?

That's the best way to describe the feeling I have every time I return to the USA. It's ... a shock to the system. The visible poverty and poor infrastructure are stunning, if you haven't experienced them on a regular basis in quite a long time (I'm only back once a year or so).

The USA just doesn't "feel" like a peer country to somewhere like Germany.

When my parents visit Atlanta they’re amazed by the number of homeless camps to which I’ve become desensitized. One of them has a gym set up.

I’ve been to five star hotels and a couple airports in India that are as nice or nicer than any in the United States

I’ve also been to a slum in India larger than most US cities

I think the better point is that for the US’s GDP, we sure don’t know how to spend our money particularly well

I’m not envious of most countries when it comes to economic opportunity, but I am when it comes to healthcare, transportation, infrastructure, and social spending

Pretty easy to pay for electric trains when you don't have to worry about a military

I’ve been to five star hotels and a couple airports in India that are as nice or nicer than any in the United States

I’ve also been to a slum in India larger than most US cities

I think the better point is that for the US’s GDP, we sure don’t know how to spend our money particularly well

I’m not envious of most countries when it comes to economic opportunity, but I am when it comes to healthcare, transportation, infrastructure, and social spending

LOL, yes we need to upgrade our infrastructure, particularly the electric grid and most of the supply chain apparatus. But let's not act like it is some crumbling wreck relative to the rest of the world. A lot of our infrastructure needs involve expansion of rail and port capacity because we are a massive consumer of import goods. It is an absolute joke to think the transportation and infrastructure here is lacking compared to "most countries." You are conflating services with actual infrastructure. Do we have massive issues with the delivery of healthcare in the US? Yes, while at the same time being the world leader in medical technology.

Aside from Germany, Japan and Australia I wouldn't swap our current infrastructure with anyone. And it's worth pointing out that both Germany and Japan, and a good part of Europe to an extent, were essentially rebuilt from ashes after WW2.

I fully support massive infrastructure spending because it will provide long term jobs, but also improve upon what exists, which is still the envy of all but a handful of countries in the world.

You'll get zero argument from me about the lack of quality in our social spending.

I haven't had a chance to read up on the details of the bill so far, but I hope it includes the following:
Expansion of our nuclear energy generation capacity
Rebuild the electric grid
Expansion of the shipping ports in California to handle larger capacity.

Back