• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Sonoma/Napa - Yosemite trip - Need recs

scooter84

Jack Campbell
Reaction score
We are assuming things are going to be getting pretty normal by June and are planning a trip out west. Right now think of spending a few nights in wine country California and a few nights at Yosemite.
Any recs for places to stay or things to do in either location? We have never been to either place...
If you had 7/8 nights to play with, how would you split them up between the two locations?
We might want to spend the last day and night closer to the airport in SFO - anywhere nearby that would be cool? We have spent time in San Francisco before so looking for somewhere else interesting...

The Wydown & Harvest Inn are awesome boutique hotels in St. Helena. We've been several times, including for our wedding, and much prefer northern Napa Valley (St. Helena & Calistoga primarily) to the bustle and commercialization of Napa proper and the southern valley. Have plenty of winery recs if you want to PM, or I probably posted them in another Napa thread.

The one time we went to Sonoma, we also stayed in an Airbnb which was great. Looking forward to getting back out there this fall to spend some more time.

You can kill a ton of time, definitely multiple days, exploring Marin County across the Golden Gate from SFO. We've loved exploring Sausalito, Belvedere/Tiburon, Marin Headlands, Muir Woods, Mount Tamalpais, and some other great hiking trails. Stinson Beach and Bodega Bay aren't too far either.

I have not been to Yosemite, but it's definitely on the bucket list.

in terms of how many nights to spend in each location, I guess it comes down to how much do you love drinking wine? I love it, but I'd probably spend more time in Yosemite. Driving into and out of Yosemite, particularly to get to Half Dome, during peak tourist season is a bit of a pain in the arse, so if possible you want to stay in the park, lest you spend a good bit of time driving. That may be impossible on 2 months notice.

YMMV, but for wine country, Sonoma seems a bit more down to earth, definitely less pricy, than Napa. There are some very cool wine caves in Sonoma - check here. If that's not your thing, Healdsburg has a walkable square and tons of tasting rooms.

Echo the comment re: Muir Woods - a great option with miles of trails near SF.

sonoma is 1000% more user-friendly than napa valley. Napa Valley is super impressed with itself.

Yosemite is awesome but it's been a good while since I've been so I don't have many recommendations other than to definitely try to take in as many of the highlights in and around the valley floor on your first trip. We typically stayed in Fish Camp and drove in rather than staying in the park. Would also stay on the other side of the park to take in Tuolumne Meadows.

Can anyone provide any insight into what a trip to Sonoma would be like during winter months?

i suspect you'll drink a lot of wine and sit by some outdoor fireplaces

I went to Napa when the Super Bowl was in SF and it really wasn't different than a summer trip.

Last time I went it was double dating with friends who named their daughter Sonoma. They did all the picking.

Just got back. I'm not a big wine fan. Stayed in Yountville (Hotel Yountville) and Napa (Churchill Manor). Would not stay in Yountville again. Churchill was very convenient to the downtown area and I would stay again. Enjoyed a couple of the breweries in Napa. Agree that St. Helena and Calistoga seem like cool areas and we did many of our vineyard visits up that way. I had high expectations for everything Bouchon and they were not met. I didn't have any expectations for Bistro Don Giovanni and was pleasantly surprised. Press is not worth the price.

Inglenook is a very cool place to see, as was Joseph Phelps and I enjoyed Duckhorn. I hear the wine train is a pretty good deal but I have no personal experience with it. 3 vineyards/day is plenty.

Last edited:
Just got back. I'm not a big wine fan. Stayed in Yountville (Hotel Yountville) and Napa (Churchill Manor). Would not stay in Yountville again. Churchill was very convenient to the downtown area and I would stay again. Enjoyed a couple of the breweries in Napa. Agree that St. Helena and Calistoga seem like cool areas and we did many of our vineyard visits up that way. I had high expectations for everything Bouchon and they were not met. I didn't have any expectations for Bistro Don Giovanni and was pleasantly surprised. Press is not worth the price.

Gallo is a very cool place to see, as was Joseph Phelps and I enjoyed Duckhorn. I hear the wine train is a pretty good deal but I have no personal experience with it. 3 vineyards/day is plenty.

What was off with Bouchon? Don't think I've ever been despite it being in Vegas. I went to Bottega the time I went out there.

What was off with Bouchon? Don't think I've ever been despite it being in Vegas. I went to Bottega the time I went out there.

I wouldn't say anything was off. It was fine. I expected to be blown away. Just nothing memorable.

Also, edited my post. I didn't go to Gallo. I went to Inglenook, which was a neat experience that was greatly enhanced by a very knowledgeable bartender. It felt very European.

How into wine are you and if you are into wine, how much do you tend to pay per bottle?

Yosemite will be jammed. If you can go before the kids get out of school you will be in better shape. Make all of your yosemite related reservations ASAP. I would do 2-3 days in Sonoma, 1-2 in Napa, and the balance in Yosemite. Actually I would do a day in the Sierra Foothills area on the way to Yose from Napa, notably Easton/Terre Rouge Vineyards.

who the fuck posts a thread like this and doesn't respond when the experts answer?

I got no knowledge on wine, but...
We enjoyed Yosemite last summer. The Valley is obviously great, go see the stuff in there, but there is truly amazing stuff to do and see away from the crowds if a you're a little more adventurous.
The Clouds rest trail hike from Tenaya lake is difficult but if you make it the views are other worldly. Looking down on all of these massive walls is something else.
From the other end of the park you can hit Taft or Sentinel with much less effort. I wish we had stayed at the Ahwahnee in the Valley at least a few nights. It would have made early morning climbing/bouldering a good bit easier. if you're into that type of thing.

We stayed at Rush Creek Lodge and enjoyed it. Our son (12yo) loved it. Super fun scene for kids and good pool/food for everyone.

My wife really wants to do Disneyland then drive to Yosemite. Is there anything cool on this route?

My wife really wants to do Disneyland then drive to Yosemite. Is there anything cool on this route?

jesus fucking christ that is like asking if there is anything to do between Richmond and Rhode Island. (edited because I was an asshole)

Last edited:
what? you guys don't like bakersfield?

Back