• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Childress resigns

I have no first hand knowledge, obviously, but I doubt RC wants to be a recruiter, developer, or resident star in the fund raising office. I would imagine he wants to be a head coach. He blew it by hitching his wagon to the two black holes he’s worked for over the last two years. I hope he gets a shot somewhere.

Perhaps Childress has recognized what many have said: he needs to go somewhere else: Either as (1) an assistant at an elite, but clean program, or (2) as head coach at a low/mid major, or 1 followed by 2.

I have no first hand knowledge, obviously, but I doubt RC wants to be a recruiter, developer, or resident star in the fund raising office. I would imagine he wants to be a head coach. He blew it by hitching his wagon to the two black holes he’s worked for over the last two years. I hope he gets a shot somewhere.

This. Childress is pushing 50 and is associated with two of the worst coaches in major college basketball history (certainly at Wake). Fifty is not old but it ain't young. He certainly has time to go build at a mid-major but he better hurry.

I don't know. If he wanted to be a head coach, I think he would have gone ahead and done it. Josh Howard had no coaching experience and took a head coach job at a tiny school in Winston most people had ever heard of and now he's going to be the first ever head coach for UNT-Dallas basketball (NAIA). If he does well there, he'll probably be a low major head coach in a few years.

Seems like Childress preferred staying at Wake. Otherwise, he could have taken that Piedmont International job and moved up the ladder.

Some real negativity here directed at one of wake's legends. Just say thanks for your service and move on. Let the man find his next opportunity whatever and wherever that may be.

I don't know. If he wanted to be a head coach, I think he would have gone ahead and done it. Josh Howard had no coaching experience and took a head coach job at a tiny school in Winston most people had ever heard of and now he's going to be the first ever head coach for UNT-Dallas basketball (NAIA). If he does well there, he'll probably be a low major head coach in a few years.

Seems like Childress preferred staying at Wake. Otherwise, he could have taken that Piedmont International job and moved up the ladder.

I agree. He may not want the HC role. He stayed thru Brandon, then helped his school transition. May have taken one for MSD this year and now may be ready to "Chill" out.

This. Childress is pushing 50 and is associated with two of the worst coaches in major college basketball history (certainly at Wake). Fifty is not old but it ain't young. He certainly has time to go build at a mid-major but he better hurry.

The vast majority of the college basketball world only associates him with his heroics in 1995. Very few people outside of Wake fans think about his assistant coaching career.

Some real negativity here directed at one of wake's legends. Just say thanks for your service and move on. Let the man find his next opportunity whatever and wherever that may be.

There can be no reason for negativity toward Randolph. He was not the problem.

The vast majority of the college basketball world only associates him with his heroics in 1995. Very few people outside of Wake fans think about his assistant coaching career.

I have zero idea of what this has to do with what I posted. But, okay then.

Yes, it does, doesn’t it

I have zero idea of what this has to do with what I posted. But, okay then.

He doesn’t have much rep in the coaching world.

I think it’s perfectly reasonable to appreciate Childress as a player, wish him well in whatever he does going forward, discuss what he could have done differently in his coaching career, acknowledge the challenges he could have in coaching going forward, and be happy there’s nobody from the [Redacted] or Manning years on the coaching staff. All of those are perfect consistent thoughts.

Randolph Childress can succeed at anything he wants to. If I had a job to offer he would always be my first choice.

Its been discussed ad nauseum. Just say thanks and best wishes. Or, keep talking about what he did or did not do when we have limited understanding of what the head coaches allowed him to do. Anyway, not an argument I care to continue. Just my opinion.

Its been discussed ad nauseum. Just say thanks and best wishes. Or, keep talking about what he did or did not do when we have limited understanding of what the head coaches allowed him to do. Anyway, not an argument I care to continue. Just my opinion.

What we haven’t known up till now was what Forbes thought of him after a year of working with him. And now we have a better sense of that, which was my point.

I think everyone here wishes Chill well and just wants him to find the best thing for him, as well as wanting the best for WFU Basketball.

We all love Randolph for his playing days, but his coaching days don't reflect much to be proud of. We can blame Buzzdick and Manning and that's fine, but he was a part of that, and he was inexplicably retained as part of both groups. He is the one commonality between both those coaches, the one who was seemingly unfireable. All these years later, and nobody can look at his tenure at Wake and say positively that he was a good coach or a good recruiter. By the end, he seemed like an albatross around the neck of the program. Wellman may very well have killed any coaching career he could've had by insisting that he remain in such a role.

That having been said, he could make a nice living for the rest of his days simply gladhanding donors, posing for photos, and signing autographs if he wanted to. I hope he gets a chance as an assistant somewhere and that he shines in that role.

I agree. He may not want the HC role. He stayed thru Brandon, then helped his school transition. May have taken one for MSD this year and now may be ready to "Chill" out.

It ended as well as possible. I imagine the reason he stayed was he liked coaching his kid, even though the situation as a whole sucked. If he wants to keep coaching he can easily do that.

Surprised nobody mentioned his son was at Wake for 4 years which probably complicated any decision about leaving over a 5 year period at a minimum.

Surprised nobody mentioned his son was at Wake for 4 years which probably complicated any decision about leaving over a 5 year period at a minimum.

Yes, I don't know how I forgot about that. There was a palpable fear that we'd lose BC, I think, and that probably figured in the retention of RC.

It ended as well as possible. I imagine the reason he stayed was he liked coaching his kid, even though the situation as a whole sucked. If he wants to keep coaching he can easily do that.

It is the dream of many fathers to pass the knowledge gained through years in a profession onto a son. Randolph got to live that dream with Brandon at Wake. That situation may have over ridden other career considerations for Randolph. Four years officially mentoring his son, and coaching every game is a dream scenario for many fathers. That was capped by watching Brandon getting his diploma from Wake.

Randolph might well have moved on when Forbes arrived, but last year the transition was anything but normal. He stayed and helped mentor Forbes in "this is what Wake Forest University is about." That was the one unchecked box on my list when Forbes was hired. And, because of Covid lock down, something that was much more difficult to do than in a normal transition. One more task completed, or at least well along. Randolph is continuing to give back to Wake.

Now let us hope that Wake will repay that by giving Randolph assistance in finding what he wants to do next.

It is the dream of many fathers to pass the knowledge gained through years in a profession onto a son. Randolph got to live that dream with Brandon at Wake. That situation may have over ridden other career considerations for Randolph. Four years officially mentoring his son, and coaching every game is a dream scenario for many fathers. That was capped by watching Brandon getting his diploma from Wake.

Randolph might well have moved on when Forbes arrived, but last year the transition was anything but normal. He stayed and helped mentor Forbes in "this is what Wake Forest University is about." That was the one unchecked box on my list when Forbes was hired. And, because of Covid lock down, something that was much more difficult to do than in a normal transition. One more task completed, or at least well along. Randolph is continuing to give back to Wake.

Now let us hope that Wake will repay that by giving Randolph assistance in finding what he wants to do next.

Well said

Randolph Childress can succeed at anything he wants to. If I had a job to offer he would always be my first choice.

I mean Kansas would say the same thing about Danny Manning right? And we’d call them nuts. Not that it’s wrong to appreciate your legends but those can be program-killing blinders.

Back