• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Childress resigns

It should have never come to this. It burns me up Ron Wellman allowed this situation to fester and become the weird thing it became. RC is a legendary WF player and that’s how I want to remember him, not as a Wellman shield assistant to the two worst ACC coaches in history.

Damn Forbes not going to slot Frank Davis into an assistant role?

It should have never come to this. It burns me up Ron Wellman allowed this situation to fester and become the weird thing it became. RC is a legendary WF player and that’s how I want to remember him, not as a Wellman shield assistant to the two worst ACC coaches in history.

So do that then.

Probably but it’s only two days after the championship game. Still plenty of time for coaching changes.

Our season ended a month ago and the staff has been working hard to put together a roster.

Childress wants to be a head coach in college basketball and I know he wanted to be the head coach at Wake Forest University. I'm not sure if he's giving up that dream by leaving or if he's just going to pursue that dream differently. I would love to see him end up as a head coach in a non P5 division right off the bat and have some success. Looking forward to whatever is next for him.

Childress wants to be a head coach in college basketball and I know he wanted to be the head coach at Wake Forest University. I'm not sure if he's giving up that dream by leaving or if he's just going to pursue that dream differently. I would love to see him end up as a head coach in a non P5 division right off the bat and have some success. Looking forward to whatever is next for him.

The best way for Childress to succeed Forbes as HC at WFU is to go be a successful HC somewhere at a low then a mid major program for ~10 years.

Childress being a head coach in college right now is a pipe dream unless he wants to restart as an assistant at a low level and work his way up by proving himself as part of a successful staff. He wasn't ready to be an ACC assistant and he should have never been put in that position.

Is Donaldross on the short list to replace Chill?

The best way for Childress to succeed Forbes as HC at WFU is to go be a successful HC somewhere at a low then a mid major program for ~10 years.

That was always the best way to become HC at Wake. If he had gotten an assistant job elsewhere, had success, and gotten a mid-major HC job, he'd be our head coach now.

That was always the best way to become HC at Wake. If he had gotten an assistant job elsewhere, had success, and gotten a mid-major HC job, he'd be our head coach now.

Oh absolutely. He should have left when John Collins did, to go be a low major HC and Coppin State or some place. They Hired Juan Dixon that year with a far weaker resume. Cleveland State had an opening! If he'd had moderate success as an HC running any program he'd have been a candidate last year when Danny was let go.

Mid-major coaching seems pretty sweet. Go hard as a recruiter, build a team that can win your mediocre conference, get NCAA tourney bid, put in a respectable showing in March. Profit!

Best wishes, Mr. Childress!

And thanks for all your hard work on behalf of our school and basketball program.

How about RC for head coach at UMBC? Takes him back home.

He's not qualified to be an ACC assistant coach either. :):)

Eh.. I don't know that I agree with that. Good programs hire ex-players with no coaching experience as an end of bench assistant all the time. See Hubert Davis. And it can work when you have a good head coach and the rest of staff is experienced and can carry extra weight while the new guy learns. That wasn't the kind of staff that Childress joined.

Given what Childress means to Wake, I have to believe that if Forbes recognized real value he could provide right now as a recruiter or developer, he would find a way to keep him. Instead he had a year to assess him, took into account his legacy as a player, and is still letting him walk. I’m sure Shay’s availability is part of the equation, but that still speaks volumes to me. I do hope he can find his coaching path another way, but honestly feel that resident rock star status in the fundraising office might be his destiny. If so more power to him, and this will still benefit the program well in the long run.

Given what Childress means to Wake, I have to believe that if Forbes recognized real value he could provide right now as a recruiter or developer, he would find a way to keep him. Instead he had a year to assess him, took into account his legacy as a player, and is still letting him walk. I’m sure Shay’s availability is part of the equation, but that still speaks volumes to me. I do hope he can find his coaching path another way, but honestly feel that resident rock star status in the fundraising office might be his destiny. If so more power to him, and this will still benefit the program well in the long run.

I have no first hand knowledge, obviously, but I doubt RC wants to be a recruiter, developer, or resident star in the fund raising office. I would imagine he wants to be a head coach. He blew it by hitching his wagon to the two black holes he’s worked for over the last two years. I hope he gets a shot somewhere.

Juan Dixon was a "special assistant" at Maryland for three seasons. Then he was "relieved of his duties." He landed a job coaching the women's team at the University of District Columbia (UDC) where he went 3-25. Then he got a job at Coppin State where he's gone 5-27, 8-25, 11-20, and 9-13 this season. He did go 8-4 in conference and tied for 1st in his division and they got upset in the semis. Childress would probably be better off if he had left to take a head coach job anywhere than other than staying at Wake.

Back