• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Childress resigns

Good luck Randolph. Hope you find a HC gig!

Childress, who just finished his 10th year with Wake Forest Athletics and his ninth season as a member of the basketball staff in 2020-21, will now work with director of athletics John Currie and university leadership on strategic projects to benefit Wake Forest.

Seems like a good approach for transitioning a Wake Forest legend from the active coaching roster. I hope the relationship with Childress has not damaged and wish Childress the best in his new role and future pursuits at Wake or otherwise.

Thanks to Randolph for all his hard work the past decade under some very trying circumstances. At the very least, TV camera's showing him on the bench led to multiple replays of the 95 ACC tourney and using Jeff McInnis like a rented mule.

Sounds like Woodley has been recruiting the past week(s) as 3rd assistant, but Shay makes perfect sense.

A legend and a class act all the way. Proud to be a fellow Deacon with Randolph! Best of luck to him in all his future endeavors.

Good work by Currie and AD here in a tough situation with Chil; I'm happy to hear we'll take care of our legends.

Seems like this was handled perfectly. Refreshing that this is becoming the norm under Currie.

Hate to see Chill go, but seems like the right move. Jason Shay, welcome to Wake Forest.

Seems like this was handled perfectly. Refreshing that this is becoming the norm under Currie.

Agreed. Being a Panthers fan, I don't take it for granted when legends treated with class when it's time to go.

Can't say that I'm shocked. Wish RC nothing but the best. A true Wake legend. And agree, this appears to have been handled the best possible way.

I'll never forget the night he literally ran UNC out of the Joel with a relentless number of three's in the first half. Deano kept calling timeouts hoping to cool RC off. Just made him more determined. I think we had like a 20+ lead at the half over a very good UNC team.

Last edited:
All the best to Randolph in his future endeavors, be they fund raising for the AD or going elsewhere to coach.

If he truly wants a coaching career, he needs to be somewhere not named Wake Forest for his next spot. Either a head coaching job at a mid major or an assistant coach role at a high profile high major school.

Can't say that I'm shocked. Wish RC nothing but the best. A true Wake legend. And agree, this appears to have been handled the best possible way.

I'll never forget the night he literally ran UNC out of the Joel with a relentless number of three's in the first half. Deano kept calling timeouts hoping to cool RC off. Just made him more determined. I think we had like a 20+ lead at the half over a very good UNC team.

It was the 2nd half against UNC when he hit 6 three-pointers in a row. The game was close at the half then early in the 2nd half Childress just blew them away. This was also the game where Rodney unleashed his breakaway 360. We ended up winning 88-62.

It was the 2nd half against UNC when he hit 6 three-pointers in a row. The game was close at the half then early in the 2nd half Childress just blew them away. This was also the game where Rodney unleashed his breakaway 360. We ended up winning 88-62.

Okay. Seems like 50 years ago. I think I was combining the Childress heroics with another game where we had a big lead the half. In either case, I remember him being unconscious with 3-pointers that night.

The best part of that run may have been when Childress actually passed to a wide open Blucas, and then immediately turned to run back up court with both arms raised in the three point signal - with his back to Blucas (and the rest of the offense), who did end up launching and nailing the three.

The timing of this tells me it has to be related to Shay. Why else would Forbes wait this long after the season?

I’m sure Randolph will be all right. If he wants to coach, heading elsewhere for a fresh start makes a lot of sense.

We finally have a coach at Wake I wish Childress could learn from. Wish Childress could have spent the last decade at Wake under an elite coach. As we are seeing, elite coaches may not have had a place on their staff for him. If he does have a passion for coaching, let’s hope he can latch on somewhere that will provide the experience for him to be successful and become that elite coach.

The timing of this tells me it has to be related to Shay. Why else would Forbes wait this long after the season?

I’m sure Randolph will be all right. If he wants to coach, heading elsewhere for a fresh start makes a lot of sense.

Probably but it’s only two days after the championship game. Still plenty of time for coaching changes.

So if Shay is coming, what does he bring to the table? What are considered his strengths?

Back