• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Perma ban: RJKarl

I don't think anything RJ did here warrants a perma band. Just my opinion, not really attempting to protest or disparage the moderators, whose duties I would never desire to own. I'm guessing the decision was more a result of cumulative RJ complaint fatigue...which is a reflection on RJ as well as them whut couldn't resist complaining about (or arguing with) him.

Generally, I favor the idea of really limiting permanent bans. Shit, I've never even placed anyone on ignore. Sure, I can imagine some things crossing necessary lines of decorum and warranting moderating, temporary bans, and in very rare (hopefully) instances a permanent ban. Those lines are maybe sometimes simple to discern and apply and other times probably pretty challenging to fairly adjudicate.

Anyhow, for me it would have to be possibly the concerns about taking stuff from here into real life, depending on what transpired. Just being an annoying thin-skinned moralist (characteristics of more than one of us in this here little community) probably shouldn't get anyone banned.

I feel bad for cookout here, who has now written several lengthy explanations regarding mod actions against RJ and people have clearly either not read them or are just trying to selectively interpret how his actions justify his removal.

Bolded are seeming examples of each. RJ wasn't banned because people were complaining about him -- there's a list of behaviors here (some pretty fucked up!) that's being ignored -- and he's not being banned for simply being thin-skinned either.

If you want to try to argue that imitating the voice of an American slave isn't fucked up and okay here or that his constant PMs to cookout while confined to a thread are okay for the mods then go for it, but like, let's focus on the things he actually did?

Last edited:
It wasn't any one thing that triggered it, just ever increasing and constant thread derails and playing the victim, leading to a worse environment for the boards and constant complaints from users.

From cookout's first post.

And a lot of the unbolded relates to my characterization of rj.

Biff probably hacked RJs Facebook account and made those posts to get him banned.

I mean, he hacked his boards account, so I wouldn't put it past him.

For the record, Biff hacking RJs boards account is 10× worse than anything RJ has ever done, I guess until publicly shit talking Cookout. That's a true violation of privacy and the ultimate act of disrespect.

Biff probably hacked RJs Facebook account and made those posts to get him banned.

I mean, he hacked his boards account, so I wouldn't put it past him.

For the record, Biff hacking RJs boards account is 10× worse than anything RJ has ever done, I guess until publicly shit talking Cookout. That's a true violation of privacy and the ultimate act of disrespect.

The purpose of any punishment on this message board is and always has been rehabilitation and improved behavior. While I wasn't privy to the mod room at that time, my guess is that Diggler readily owned the fact that his conduct was wrongful, issued a contrite apology (i.e. not an RJ-style one), took his punishment like a man, and never attempted anything similar again. If there is a contingent of posters who lie awake at night worrying that Diggler is going to hack their account and would be more comfortable if he were perma-banned, I suggest that you petition the mods for further punishment.

RJ, on the other hand, had been punished twice, once with a ban, once with spider-holing, in the last year or two. Despite these two punishments and numerous warnings, he persisted in his bad behavior, refused to take accountability, and repeatedly blamed his conduct on others. Based on his decades-long refusal to grow up and act like an adult--indeed, his seeming inability to realize that he needs to grow up--the mods judged that he was beyond rehabilitation or correction, and accordingly banned him. Would I have done the same thing in their position? Maybe not, but it's easy to see the reasoning behind it and differentiate it from other infractions committed by other posters.

From cookout's first post.

And a lot of the unbolded relates to my characterization of rj.

that's cool but read the first few words from that sentence and then you'll see that opening a post with "I think the mods banned him because x" is a weird post when the mods were pretty clear how this went down.

that's cool but read the first few words from that sentence and then you'll see that opening a post with "I think the mods banned him because x" is a weird post when the mods were pretty clear how this went down.

and by weird I mean it seems to shift the blame off of the dude who arguably deserved the banning and onto the mod team - they were pretty clear about the different ways they've tried to handle this (ignore, temp ban, own thread, perma ban) - it doesn't seem like they woke up and just decided to press the button.

RJ, on the other hand, had been punished twice, once with a ban, once with spider-holing, in the last year or two. Despite these two punishments and numerous warnings, he persisted in his bad behavior, refused to take accountability, and repeatedly blamed his conduct on others. Based on his decades-long refusal to grow up and act like an adult--indeed, his seeming inability to realize that he needs to grow up--the mods judged that he was beyond rehabilitation or correction, and accordingly banned him. Would I have done the same thing in their position? Maybe not, but it's easy to see the reasoning behind it and differentiate it from other infractions committed by other posters.

No doubt rj wasn't going to change. So yeah, it boiled down to either accepting him as he is, ignoring him, or complaining about him. Clearly, the constant complaints of those unable to accept or ignore him wore down the moderators.

and by weird I mean it seems to shift the blame off of the dude who arguably deserved the banning and onto the mod team - they were pretty clear about the different ways they've tried to handle this (ignore, temp ban, own thread, perma ban) - it doesn't seem like they woke up and just decided to press the button.

RJ is responsible for his postings. Those complaining about him are responsible for their complaining. The moderators are responsible for their moderating.

RJ is responsible for his postings. Those complaining about him are responsible for their complaining. The moderators are responsible for their moderating.

Not sure what your point here is. Let me try another way.

The mod team unanimously decided to ban RJ today (the only way we'd ever perma someone, it isn't a decision we take lightly, especially for someone who has been a part of the community for so long for better or worse). It wasn't any one thing that triggered it, just ever increasing and constant thread derails and playing the victim, leading to a worse environment for the boards and constant complaints from users.

Although if anyone one post could sum it up recently it'd probably be the one where he thought it appropriate to call someone "massa" a few days ago. But I'm sure you can go to nearly half the threads on which he's posted in the last month and find a off-topic argumentative derail of some sort.

https://www.ogboards.com/forums/sho...sion-Efforts?p=3680047&viewfull=1#post3680047

We've put up with it for long enough and hoped the timeout would help, but it really doesn't appeared to have done that whatsoever. Even while "keeping his head down" during those 6 months he secretly sent out hundreds of PMs waging shadow campaigns for himself, talked shit about me on facebook/IRL to folks (super creepy), and complained constantly.

I just fundamentally don't understand how you read this entire post and then arrive at this conclusion:

Clearly, the constant complaints of those unable to accept or ignore him wore down the moderators.

So what was said on Facebook? There doesn’t seem to an answer to that.

Not sure what your point here is. Let me try another way.

I just fundamentally don't understand how you read this entire post and then arrive at this conclusion:

So...were you one of those providing "constant complaints"? Is this why you're objecting to what I'm saying?

I think my interpretation is quite reasonable.

So...were you one of those providing "constant complaints"? Is this why you're objecting to what I'm saying?

I think my interpretation is quite reasonable.

What?

No, I'm actually trying to figure out (1) how you read cookout's post so poorly and (2) why you're more interested in finding blame anywhere that isn't rj?

I think the fact that a significant chunk of the threads on District 13 being about RJ + everything else the mods already mentioned demonstrate that any action they deemed necessary was pretty clearly earned over the years.

How you figure?

What?

No, I'm actually trying to figure out (1) how you read cookout's post so poorly and (2) why you're more interested in finding blame anywhere that isn't rj?

1. I did not read or interpret that post poorly.

2. I've already well-appropriated clearly who is responsible for what.

3. I've also stated I'm not protesting or disparaging the moderators, whose job I do not envy.

Not sure what you can't understand.

this is so dumb

Not at all, but it is telling. Not been in a locker room or managed a business?
If you’ve managed a business you know you think at least twice about firing the disagreeable employee (yeah, that could be you, K) because human nature is that the group will always finds a new heavy if you do. Usually figure that out about 90 days into the gig, almost always the hard way. I sure did.

Not at all, but it is telling. Not been in a locker room or managed a business?
If you’ve managed a business you know you think at least twice about firing the disagreeable employee (yeah, that could be you, K) because human nature is that the group will always finds a new heavy if you do. Usually figure that out about 90 days into the gig, almost always the hard way. I sure did.

This board isn’t a locker room or a business.

This board isn’t a locker room or a business.

Nope. It is different, and that is significant, and the Massas should make that clear to Wake fans who mistake it inadvertently for a sports board.

Back