Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 510

Thread: Perma ban: RJKarl

  1. #61
    Quote Originally Posted by ConnorEl View Post
    I don't think anything RJ did here warrants a perma band. Just my opinion, not really attempting to protest or disparage the moderators, whose duties I would never desire to own. I'm guessing the decision was more a result of cumulative RJ complaint fatigue...which is a reflection on RJ as well as them whut couldn't resist complaining about (or arguing with) him.

    Generally, I favor the idea of really limiting permanent bans. Shit, I've never even placed anyone on ignore. Sure, I can imagine some things crossing necessary lines of decorum and warranting moderating, temporary bans, and in very rare (hopefully) instances a permanent ban. Those lines are maybe sometimes simple to discern and apply and other times probably pretty challenging to fairly adjudicate.

    Anyhow, for me it would have to be possibly the concerns about taking stuff from here into real life, depending on what transpired. Just being an annoying thin-skinned moralist (characteristics of more than one of us in this here little community) probably shouldn't get anyone banned.
    I feel bad for cookout here, who has now written several lengthy explanations regarding mod actions against RJ and people have clearly either not read them or are just trying to selectively interpret how his actions justify his removal.

    Bolded are seeming examples of each. RJ wasn't banned because people were complaining about him -- there's a list of behaviors here (some pretty fucked up!) that's being ignored -- and he's not being banned for simply being thin-skinned either.

    If you want to try to argue that imitating the voice of an American slave isn't fucked up and okay here or that his constant PMs to cookout while confined to a thread are okay for the mods then go for it, but like, let's focus on the things he actually did?
    Last edited by TenaciousKory; 04-09-2021 at 04:24 PM.
    semi-aquatic like otters be.

  2. #62
    It wasn't any one thing that triggered it, just ever increasing and constant thread derails and playing the victim, leading to a worse environment for the boards and constant complaints from users.
    From cookout's first post.


    And a lot of the unbolded relates to my characterization of rj.
    I love mankind...itís people I canít stand!!

  3. #63

    Perma ban: RJKarl

    Quote Originally Posted by Resilient Deac View Post
    Doesn't matter who it was.

    Yeah, that's hacking. But keep being a fucking retard
    The same tier of slur as massa, IMO.

  4. #64
    Quote Originally Posted by Resilient Deac View Post
    Biff probably hacked RJs Facebook account and made those posts to get him banned.

    I mean, he hacked his boards account, so I wouldn't put it past him.

    For the record, Biff hacking RJs boards account is 10◊ worse than anything RJ has ever done, I guess until publicly shit talking Cookout. That's a true violation of privacy and the ultimate act of disrespect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Resilient Deac View Post
    Biff probably hacked RJs Facebook account and made those posts to get him banned.

    I mean, he hacked his boards account, so I wouldn't put it past him.

    For the record, Biff hacking RJs boards account is 10◊ worse than anything RJ has ever done, I guess until publicly shit talking Cookout. That's a true violation of privacy and the ultimate act of disrespect.
    The purpose of any punishment on this message board is and always has been rehabilitation and improved behavior. While I wasn't privy to the mod room at that time, my guess is that Diggler readily owned the fact that his conduct was wrongful, issued a contrite apology (i.e. not an RJ-style one), took his punishment like a man, and never attempted anything similar again. If there is a contingent of posters who lie awake at night worrying that Diggler is going to hack their account and would be more comfortable if he were perma-banned, I suggest that you petition the mods for further punishment.

    RJ, on the other hand, had been punished twice, once with a ban, once with spider-holing, in the last year or two. Despite these two punishments and numerous warnings, he persisted in his bad behavior, refused to take accountability, and repeatedly blamed his conduct on others. Based on his decades-long refusal to grow up and act like an adult--indeed, his seeming inability to realize that he needs to grow up--the mods judged that he was beyond rehabilitation or correction, and accordingly banned him. Would I have done the same thing in their position? Maybe not, but it's easy to see the reasoning behind it and differentiate it from other infractions committed by other posters.

  5. #65
    Quote Originally Posted by ConnorEl View Post
    From cookout's first post.


    And a lot of the unbolded relates to my characterization of rj.
    that's cool but read the first few words from that sentence and then you'll see that opening a post with "I think the mods banned him because x" is a weird post when the mods were pretty clear how this went down.
    semi-aquatic like otters be.

  6. #66
    I think I reasonably interpreted what they said.
    I love mankind...itís people I canít stand!!

  7. #67
    Quote Originally Posted by TenaciousKory View Post
    that's cool but read the first few words from that sentence and then you'll see that opening a post with "I think the mods banned him because x" is a weird post when the mods were pretty clear how this went down.
    and by weird I mean it seems to shift the blame off of the dude who arguably deserved the banning and onto the mod team - they were pretty clear about the different ways they've tried to handle this (ignore, temp ban, own thread, perma ban) - it doesn't seem like they woke up and just decided to press the button.
    semi-aquatic like otters be.

  8. #68
    Quote Originally Posted by OldGoldBeard View Post

    RJ, on the other hand, had been punished twice, once with a ban, once with spider-holing, in the last year or two. Despite these two punishments and numerous warnings, he persisted in his bad behavior, refused to take accountability, and repeatedly blamed his conduct on others. Based on his decades-long refusal to grow up and act like an adult--indeed, his seeming inability to realize that he needs to grow up--the mods judged that he was beyond rehabilitation or correction, and accordingly banned him. Would I have done the same thing in their position? Maybe not, but it's easy to see the reasoning behind it and differentiate it from other infractions committed by other posters.

    No doubt rj wasn't going to change. So yeah, it boiled down to either accepting him as he is, ignoring him, or complaining about him. Clearly, the constant complaints of those unable to accept or ignore him wore down the moderators.
    I love mankind...itís people I canít stand!!

  9. #69
    Quote Originally Posted by TenaciousKory View Post
    and by weird I mean it seems to shift the blame off of the dude who arguably deserved the banning and onto the mod team - they were pretty clear about the different ways they've tried to handle this (ignore, temp ban, own thread, perma ban) - it doesn't seem like they woke up and just decided to press the button.

    RJ is responsible for his postings. Those complaining about him are responsible for their complaining. The moderators are responsible for their moderating.
    I love mankind...itís people I canít stand!!

  10. #70
    Quote Originally Posted by ConnorEl View Post
    RJ is responsible for his postings. Those complaining about him are responsible for their complaining. The moderators are responsible for their moderating.
    Not sure what your point here is. Let me try another way.

    Quote Originally Posted by cookoutdeac View Post
    The mod team unanimously decided to ban RJ today (the only way we'd ever perma someone, it isn't a decision we take lightly, especially for someone who has been a part of the community for so long for better or worse). It wasn't any one thing that triggered it, just ever increasing and constant thread derails and playing the victim, leading to a worse environment for the boards and constant complaints from users.

    Although if anyone one post could sum it up recently it'd probably be the one where he thought it appropriate to call someone "massa" a few days ago. But I'm sure you can go to nearly half the threads on which he's posted in the last month and find a off-topic argumentative derail of some sort.

    https://www.ogboards.com/forums/show...=1#post3680047

    We've put up with it for long enough and hoped the timeout would help, but it really doesn't appeared to have done that whatsoever. Even while "keeping his head down" during those 6 months he secretly sent out hundreds of PMs waging shadow campaigns for himself, talked shit about me on facebook/IRL to folks (super creepy), and complained constantly.
    I just fundamentally don't understand how you read this entire post and then arrive at this conclusion:

    Quote Originally Posted by ConnorEl View Post
    Clearly, the constant complaints of those unable to accept or ignore him wore down the moderators.
    semi-aquatic like otters be.

  11. #71

    Perma ban: RJKarl

    So what was said on Facebook? There doesnít seem to an answer to that.

  12. #72
    Quote Originally Posted by DG3 View Post
    So what was said on Facebook? There doesnít seem to an answer to that.
    That was answered on the chat thread, iirc.
    semi-aquatic like otters be.

  13. #73
    Quote Originally Posted by TenaciousKory View Post
    Not sure what your point here is. Let me try another way.



    I just fundamentally don't understand how you read this entire post and then arrive at this conclusion:

    So...were you one of those providing "constant complaints"? Is this why you're objecting to what I'm saying?

    I think my interpretation is quite reasonable.
    I love mankind...itís people I canít stand!!

  14. #74
    Quote Originally Posted by ConnorEl View Post
    So...were you one of those providing "constant complaints"? Is this why you're objecting to what I'm saying?

    I think my interpretation is quite reasonable.
    What?

    No, I'm actually trying to figure out (1) how you read cookout's post so poorly and (2) why you're more interested in finding blame anywhere that isn't rj?
    semi-aquatic like otters be.

  15. #75
    Quote Originally Posted by Gooner View Post
    I think the fact that a significant chunk of the threads on District 13 being about RJ + everything else the mods already mentioned demonstrate that any action they deemed necessary was pretty clearly earned over the years.
    How you figure?

  16. #76
    Quote Originally Posted by TenaciousKory View Post
    What?

    No, I'm actually trying to figure out (1) how you read cookout's post so poorly and (2) why you're more interested in finding blame anywhere that isn't rj?

    1. I did not read or interpret that post poorly.

    2. I've already well-appropriated clearly who is responsible for what.

    3. I've also stated I'm not protesting or disparaging the moderators, whose job I do not envy.


    Not sure what you can't understand.
    I love mankind...itís people I canít stand!!

  17. #77
    THE quintessential dwarf dartsndeacs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    paradise
    Posts
    46,211
    Once this thread gets to 2,000 posts the ban should be lifted
    just drivin' round in John Voight's car

  18. #78
    Quote Originally Posted by JuiceCrewAllStar View Post
    this is so dumb
    Not at all, but it is telling. Not been in a locker room or managed a business?
    If youíve managed a business you know you think at least twice about firing the disagreeable employee (yeah, that could be you, K) because human nature is that the group will always finds a new heavy if you do. Usually figure that out about 90 days into the gig, almost always the hard way. I sure did.

  19. #79
    Quote Originally Posted by 1976Deac View Post
    Not at all, but it is telling. Not been in a locker room or managed a business?
    If youíve managed a business you know you think at least twice about firing the disagreeable employee (yeah, that could be you, K) because human nature is that the group will always finds a new heavy if you do. Usually figure that out about 90 days into the gig, almost always the hard way. I sure did.
    This board isnít a locker room or a business.

  20. #80
    Quote Originally Posted by BeachBumDeac View Post
    This board isnít a locker room or a business.
    Nope. It is different, and that is significant, and the Massas should make that clear to Wake fans who mistake it inadvertently for a sports board.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •